Epsom Salt Baths w/Fluoridated Water

ejtwofiftyfive

Hi everyone, looking to get some opinions on this. I read some stuff by Lita Lee that fluoride is absorbed through the skin very easily if the water is hot. Would taking an epsom salt bath in this water be a bad idea? The water at my apartment is definitely fluoridated, probably chlorinated too from the taste...

Do the benefits of the salts outweigh any possible ill effects of the fluoride?

Birdie

I think that Ray would say not to worry. Somebody asked him about bathing in fluoridated/chlorinated water and he replied that the creams people use on their skin are more damaging than the water they bathe in.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Hat tip to Sabine over at RP fans for this:

Sabine said:
"What about the fluoride in showering/bath water? Is that of concern?

Ray Peat said:
"I don't think it's a problem. The soaps and shampoos people use are worse problems. Just washing the skin with pure soap alters the skin's endocrine function for days. and doing it every day is an "endocrine disrupter," even if there are no toxic additives in the soap."

This was the first original question to Dr. Peat, the above question was the follow up:

Sabine said:
"Dear Dr. Peat,
would you please state you thoughts on fluoride and bromide. Unfortunately they are being used a lot in the US in forms we cannot avoid, such as from air and water (bathing/showering), even if eating mostly organic. I have been using iodine to displace these elements which are bad not only for the thyroid but also other organs.I know you are against iodine supplements. How do we protect ourselves from the detriments of fluoride and bromide that we can't avoid? Especially if one cannot eat organic much of the time. We have been discussing this in the facebook group and I would love to share what you have to say
Thank you so much"

Ray Peat said:
"It's good to avoid fluoridated water as far as possible.
Certain forms of bromine, including bromate and polybrominated biphenyls, are definitely toxic, but simple bromide isn't very toxic; it took large amounts of Bromo-Seltzer used for a long time to produce harmful effects, hundreds of milligrams per day. Seawater contains bromide, so all seafood contains a lot; milk and meat naturally contain it, because soil generally contains a moderate amount. A few of the promoters of large iodine supplements--Abraham, Flechas, and Brownstein--are giving a wrong impression of bromine.

Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2004 Jun;229(6):473-8.
Iodine toxicity and its amelioration.
Baker DH.
Department of Animal Sciences and Division of Nutritional Sciences, 290 Animal
Sciences Laboratory, University of Illinois, 1207 West Gregory Drive, Urbana,
Illinois 61801, USA. [email protected]
Iodine (I) toxicity is rare in animals and humans, but nuclear explosions that
give off radioactive I and excessive stable I ingestion in parts of the world
where seaweed is consumed represent specialized I toxicity concerns. Chronic
overconsumption of I reduces organic binding of I by the thyroid gland, which
results in hypothyroidism and goiter. Bromine can replace I on position 5 of both
T(3) and T(4) with no loss of thyroid hormone activity. Avian work has also
demonstrated that oral bromide salts can reverse the malaise and growth
depressions caused by high doses of I (as KI) added as supplements to the diet.
Newborn infants by virtue of having immature thyroid glands are most susceptible
to I toxicity, whether of stable or radioactive origin. For the latter, the 1986
Chernobyl nuclear accident in Belarus has provided evidence that KI blockage
therapy for exposed individuals 18 years of age and younger is effective in
minimizing the development of thyroid cancer. Whether bromide therapy has a place
in I toxicity situations remains to be determined."

Birdie

Yes, Charlie, that's what I was referring to. The follow up question and answer. It was soaps, not creams though. As I said before, I am fortunate that I stopped using soap all over when I read about it's bad effects when I was 16.

I was relieved to have the fluoridated bath water put out as something not to worry over. The soap is easy to control!

Amosya

So the fluoridate water is not important... what about hard water? And how is soap easy to control?
I personaly shower every day and use shampoo -greasy scalp.. But only soap on armpits every day and once a week whole body. I use soap EVERY DAY on face.... :? Only once, before bed, after make up removal. What would be the best for face?
What I've noticed is when I take a really hot bath of marine salt or epson salt or chloride magnesium added to the water, or a mixture of them, my back pains subside for a few hours,... so I dont't really know if it is only the heat that helps or the salts.
Should probably try out just a hot bath with nothing added to judge.

Birdie

Amosya said:
So the fluoridate water is not important... what about hard water? And how is soap easy to control?
I personaly shower every day and use shampoo -greasy scalp.. But only soap on armpits every day and once a week whole body. I use soap EVERY DAY on face.... :? Only once, before bed, after make up removal. What would be the best for face?
What I've noticed is when I take a really hot bath of marine salt or epson salt or chloride magnesium added to the water, or a mixture of them, my back pains subside for a few hours,... so I dont't really know if it is only the heat that helps or the salts.
Should probably try out just a hot bath with nothing added to judge.

It doesn't sound like you've had a chance to read much of what Peat says about the baths.

He recommends 1 pound of epsom salts and one pound of baking soda in the bath. The bath isn't just to relieve pain. It is a source of magnesium and carbon dioxide. Aspirin can be added also as long as you take extra vitamin K.

Marine salt isn't recommended. Magnesium chloride isn't either.

An average recommendation would be 4 baths a week, but it depends on individual need.

I can't remember if Ray says anything about soap. Wait, he does, I just can't quote him. But people seem to be using soap to spot clean. I use castile soap for shaving legs. You should start a thread about this. It's been discussed a lot on the Fans page at FB but maybe not here.

Amosya

Thanks again Birdie! Just came across this post again today.
I haven't read anything about what RP sais regarding baths, so I'm glad to know about his recomendations here!

Birdie

Amosya said:
Thanks again Birdie! Just came across this post again today.
I haven't read anything about what RP sais regarding baths, so I'm glad to know about his recomendations here!
You're welcome and I hope you feel better soon. I have FM/ME and know what it's like to be in pain. The baths are one thing that help. I think using progesterone and other supps as well as Peat's dietary advice have helped me too.

Best wishes.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals