Epidemic Of NAFLD And NASH In Young People

haidut

Forum Supporter
Yet another sad reminder of just how much the health of the average person has declined over the last 20 years. They truly are becoming the "new old".
The "Young" Have Now Become The Old
If these trends are not reversed or at least slowed down, we may start seeing people in their 20s filing for Medicare/Medicaid due to rapidly declining health and inability to cover their health expenses – a combination of factors typically seen only in 80+ year olds.

Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease found in large numbers of teenagers and young adults
Experts warn of fatty liver disease 'epidemic' in young people
“…Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is fairly common among older adults, detectable in about a quarter of the population. But a study has found that substantial numbers of 24-year-olds are also affected, putting them at risk of serious later health problems, such as liver cancer, type-2 diabetes and heart attacks. Researchers from Bristol University tested more than 4,000 young people enrolled in a longitudinal study called the Children of the 90s, set up to follow the lives and health of children born in 1991 and 1992 in Avon, England. All of them had been given an ultrasound at the age of 18, which revealed that 2.5% had non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Five years later, a newer kind of scan called transient elastography or fibroscan detected that over 20% had fatty deposits on the liver, or steatosis, indicating non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Half of those were classified as severe. The scans also found that 2.4% had fibrosis – scarring on the liver. Severe scarring can cause cirrhosis. Presenting the results of the study at the International Liver Congress in Vienna, Dr Kushala Abeysekera, from the University of Bristol, said: “We were concerned to find that, at only 24 years of age, one in five had steatosis and one in 40 had evidence of fibrosis, based on elastography results, in a group of largely asymptomatic, predominantly Caucasian young people. “The results of our study suggest greater public health awareness of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is needed in young adults in the UK.”

schultz

My main concern is.... how will my children, once they get older of course, find suitable people to breed with? I want healthy grandchildren dammit!

I am half joking.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Fractality

Is this something purely diet related or due to some other environmental factor(s)?

lampofred

Due to excess prolactin/GH from PUFA and estrogen.

tankasnowgod

Is this something purely diet related or due to some other environmental factor(s)?

I'm sure both could factor in, but this chart alone could explain the rise-

Attachments

• PUFA US.jpg
    PUFA US.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 101

TeaRex14

I'm sure both could factor in, but this chart alone could explain the rise-
It's compelling when you take into consideration if you were to graph chronic disease rates from 1909-2005 you would see an almost linear rise to the PUFA graph. Doesn't apply any sort of causation of course, but when you compare that to graphs of carbohydrate or saturated fat consumption, the two most blamed actors for disease increase, it becomes far more compelling.

Aspekt

It's compelling when you take into consideration if you were to graph chronic disease rates from 1909-2005 you would see an almost linear rise to the PUFA graph. Doesn't apply any sort of causation of course, but when you compare that to graphs of carbohydrate or saturated fat consumption, the two most blamed actors for disease increase, it becomes far more compelling.

Especially stark when compared to something like this;

source: Kevin Bass, MS on Twitter

Attachments

• DRJlCNYU8AEQcM4.png
    DRJlCNYU8AEQcM4.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 145

tankasnowgod

Wow, yeah I had no idea China has more diabetics than America. Sheer population size may play a factor but the discrepancy is big enough to suggest an outside factor, and outside factor other than sugar that is.

They measured diabetes as a percent of population, so sheer size shouldn't be factor.