Ensure nutritional drink. Good or bad to have?

Elize

I'm trying to gain weight and also take Levothyroxine. Would it be okay to have Ensure daily. I'm in the hyper swing of Hashimoto and weigh 94 pounds. Would like to weigh more.

Thanks so much for sharing

youngsinatra

Are you unable to eat enough solid food? How many calories are you eating currently? Do you suffer from lack of appetite?

One drink of Ensure only has like 330 calories, which is not a whole lot in my opinion.

Would love to hear back from you.

boris

Why not eat some Haagen Dazs or homemade icecream? Ensure is toxic stuff. Contains corn oil, canola oil, soy and carrageenan.

Vileplume

This page lists all the Ensure ingredients. Ensure® Ingredients - What Exactly Is in Ensure® Drinks?

In addition to what @boris mentioned, it contains other bad stuff like cellulose gel, soy lecithin, and a bunch of other added vitamins that probably have weird stuff in them.

Have you tried whole (additive free) A2 milk?

OP
Elize

Elize

I eat around 2000 Calories a day and thought of adding 2 ensures to that per day. I use Lactose free milk.

youngsinatra

I eat around 2000 Calories a day and thought of adding 2 ensures to that per day. I use Lactose free milk.
Are you heavily restricted in terms of food choices or suffer from lack of hunger? Otherwise I‘d think that adding 500-600 calories would be quite easy.

OP
Elize

Elize

I don't suffer from lack of hunger. Have 4. to 5 bowel movements in a day. Am restricted due to. Celiac disease.

youngsinatra

I don't suffer from lack of hunger. Have 4. to 5 bowel movements in a day. Am restricted due to. Celiac disease.
That sounds very good. I‘d just add one meal to your routine with something you really love to eat.
I would be thinking about self-made gluten-free waffles or pancakes topped with a clean vanilla ice cream and cooked and sweetened cherries. *yum*

SOMO

I would just go with whole milk and spoonfuls of butter from time to time.

OP
Elize

Elize

Thanks so much. I use a lot of Ghee, can use whole milk rather than 2 percent. I think the bowel movements is the cause for not being able to get the weight up.

LA

I'm trying to gain weight and also take Levothyroxine. Would it be okay to have Ensure daily. I'm in the hyper swing of Hashimoto and weigh 94 pounds. Would like to weigh more. Thanks so much for sharing
I've known elderly people who had oral surgery or other such things and they had to use Ensure for a week or so. It helped them recover. In a temporary situation it would be better than nothing. There is another brand some used that was/is called Boost and some liked it better. Best wishes in your recovery!

L

LauriePartridge

When I was hyper I dropped down to 80 lbs. I had GI problems which made it difficult to eat and added to the problem. But I found that increasing my protein (steak/lamb) and fat really helped add weight. Fat in particular added weight quickly. Parmesan cheese is a good choice if you need lactose free dairy/cheese. Haagen Daz really helped as well if you can tolerate it. And it makes eating really really enjoyable. And a lot of fat in general does slow down metabolism I think because it takes longer to digest.

milkboi

If you want easy liquid calories, go for a milkshake. You only need skim milk, granulated sugar and ice cream

OP
Elize

Elize

Thanks so much to each of you. I appreciate your advice ?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals