Enslave Your Smartphone

Sitaruîm

A short video I felt like making. Often times I hear rather stubborn arguments about the blight of technologies that, I believe, can be of great help rather than a blight if used properly.

spanner

There was a time, a month or two ago, I felt very stressed, and in one quick motion I picked up the phone and hit the app for discord or whatever. It was not conscious, it was like a compulsive behavior. And I’d swear, close the app, and one sec later automatically do it again. This happened multiple times In a row. I eventually turned off the device.

OP
Sitaruîm

Sitaruîm

There was a time, a month or two ago, I felt very stressed, and in one quick motion I picked up the phone and hit the app for discord or whatever. It was not conscious, it was like a compulsive behavior. And I’d swear, close the app, and one sec later automatically do it again. This happened multiple times In a row. I eventually turned off the device.
I believe for most people it's automatic, similar to nail biting. The trouble with phones is that the amount of information is just overwhelming and also haphazard and incoherent. People aren't used to focusing on a single task, or topic anymore; the smartphone is at the core of this.

CoconutEffect

This is extremely important, perhaps we can gather ideas here about internet and phone addiction just generally. Modern day Adlerian sideshows. Has anyone have had any tangible success with this?

OP
Sitaruîm

Sitaruîm

This is extremely important, perhaps we can gather ideas here about internet and phone addiction just generally. Modern day Adlerian sideshows. Has anyone have had any tangible success with this?
I don't know what "Adlerian" means, I googled a bit and it seems to be a school of thought in Psychology. As for phone usage: so far, so good. I feel I'm mostly reaping the benefits and avoiding bad habits.

Makrosky

Put the screen in black and white and you will see how quick you dislike using it for whatever it is not important.

Beware of the dopamine crash though, it is heavy haha

golder

Put the screen in black and white and you will see how quick you dislike using it for whatever it is not important.

Beware of the dopamine crash though, it is heavy haha
What do you recommend to weather the storm of the dopamine detox? Did anything help?

Makrosky

What do you recommend to weather the storm of the dopamine detox? Did anything help?
I don't know. I tried it 2 times some years ago and I couldn't make it. Had to put it back to color. Didn't try it since then. Did you try it? I am curious if it was just me or smartphones are worse than a drug addiction.

OP
Sitaruîm

Sitaruîm

I don't know. I tried it 2 times some years ago and I couldn't make it. Had to put it back to color. Didn't try it since then. Did you try it? I am curious if it was just me or smartphones are worse than a drug addiction.
The issue I see with this is that it seems like a band aid approach. Making the object unusable/unenjoyable will bring you the quick result, but your character will stay the same. Part of my argument is that if we learn to "tame" the phone it will have a net positive effect, part of this is enjoying a bit of social media, creative videos and content, etc.

catan

A short video I felt like making. Often times I hear rather stubborn arguments about the blight of technologies that, I believe, can be of great help rather than a blight if used properly.

It is most certainly often a reflex/habit.

I stopped using my iPhone for a few months and it took about a month to stop this checking habit. Prior to switching I got a talk & text plan so no mobile data on the go. It helped, but I'd still scroll when I had downtime during the day. It is clear to me now that most things I used a smartphone for was unnecessary. There's still a few things I do on it so I have it on the kitchen counter but with the habit of checking broken, I am able to use it for those specific purposes and not anything else. It's liberating.

The grayscale setting helps a lot. I can't stand how bright screens are nowadays and my head hurts when looking at others' phones (like when they are showing me pictures and videos).

CoconutEffect

Website or app blockers, anyone using these with any success? If I didn’t run a business I’d use the “the light phone” product, for sure.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals