haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

tara

Are you using biotin 1%

or
Pure Biotin ?

And why do they sell them like that ?
Why do they sell them at 1%? To make it much easier to measure out a 1mg dose of biotin.
Why do they sell it at 100%? Maybe so people who are making mixes for many days at a time can avoid the filler?

johnwester130

Why do they sell them at 1%? To make it much easier to measure out a 1mg dose of biotin.
Why do they sell it at 100%? Maybe so people who are making mixes for many days at a time can avoid the filler?

yes, that's probably why

"Unlike Biotin 1%, this pharmaceutical grade has no fillers and is not cut with anything else. It is a very potent and robust form of Vitamin B7."

since you need so little, you could easily overdose on it

in these reviews they use 300mg a day of biotin

Pure Biotin Pure (Vitamin B7) Powder in Bulk | BulkSupplements.com

Pet Peeve

Energin makes me feel good, but it tastes like burnt butt-hair. It's the only thing I've encountered so far that I actually have to hold my nose to be able to swallow, with a quick chaser. Luckily it's all water soluble so it doesn't linger.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Energin makes me feel good, but it tastes like burnt butt-hair. It's the only thing I've encountered so far that I actually have to hold my nose to be able to swallow, with a quick chaser. Luckily it's all water soluble so it doesn't linger.

One word - thiamine (sulfur).

Katty

I skimmed the thread and didn't see this issue addressed, hope I'm not repeating anything here. I bought a bottle of Energin about a year ago. It's in a dark cupboard and used only occasionally. Does Energin become less potent over time? Any chance of spoilage?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I skimmed the thread and didn't see this issue addressed, hope I'm not repeating anything here. I bought a bottle of Energin about a year ago. It's in a dark cupboard and used only occasionally. Does Energin become less potent over time? Any chance of spoilage?

The only component known to degrade would be vitamin B2 and it is direct sunlight that destroys it. So, keeping it in a dark location should help and it should still be usable. I have a bottle of 2-year old Energin and it still works for me. I keep a bottle of every supplement we make and use it occassionally to see if it loses potency. So far none of them seem to have degraded significantly even though to be fair only EstroBan and Energin probably have enough time behind them to say with confidence.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Why is there ethanol in this ?? It doesn't need it.

Also, oxidal has no ethanol either.

The studies for topical absorption of B vitamin showed better absorption when some ethanol is added compared to pure water.

encerent

Can you increase the topical absorption if you prepare the skin area with coconut oil or olive oil?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Can you increase the topical absorption if you prepare the skin area with coconut oil or olive oil?

I don't think it would increase absorption over what the current formulation achieves. Mixing with DMSO may increase it, even though I have not looked into this and cannot comment on specifics.

tara

Oil would probably decrease absorption of water-based supplement?

johnwester130

Re: Energin - custom, liquid dietary supplement with B vitam

One of the positive effect I got during the time I took the thiamine pyrophosphate was a subtle but net energy gain. After 2-3 days on it, I didn't feel the need to take my daily nap in the afternoon.
It was like taking a few mcg of cynomel...my metabolism seemed to improve somewhat on it.
The dose I used was 10 mg. I tried for few days a dose up to 50 mg but didn't feel any difference in term of well-being.
Now, on the low dose, this effect almost vanished.
The other net positive effect was that my appetite ramp up on it and my stress level went down.
I can't objectively describe the " stress went down" thing but I felt less irritable and became more focused on any given task at work without the feeling of "urgency" that I usually got.
And last thing, my digestion improved on it while it was clearly worse on the thiamine HCL.

why do few places sell pyrophosphate ?

Amazoniac

Just linking it here because it was lost:
I think that study is a very good answer to all the questions why I don't have B5, folic acid and B12 in Energin. So, thanks for posting it!
Another reason for not including B5 is that virtually nobody is deficient in it, similar to iodine. It is added to pretty much every processed food, including the "artisan" breads everybody seems to be so fond of lately.

--
But also relevant:
Ray Peat Email Advice Depository
Ray Peat said:
Vitamin B1 helps to oxidize glucose, so if you try 50 or 100 mg with a meal you should watch for possible hypoglycemia from the insulin. Pantothenic acid is safe in doses of 100 or 200 mg, and helps to limit hypoglycemia. Brewers' yeast has other nutrients that help with repairing the pancreas, but can cause gas, so it's best to start by pouring hot water over an ounce or two of it, and using just the liquid.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Just linking it here because it was lost:

--
But also relevant:
Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

OK, thanks. I am not saying B5 is not important, just that supplementation is probably not needed unless the person is severely malnourished. The only people I have seen need B5 supplements in Western countries are chronic alcoholics, drug abusers, or people eating nothing but hospital food for a few weeks.

Amazoniac

OK, thanks. I am not saying B5 is not important, just that supplementation is probably not needed unless the person is severely malnourished. The only people I have seen need B5 supplements in Western countries are chronic alcoholics, drug abusers, or people eating nothing but hospital food for a few weeks.
I know, I wasn't inferring that. The second quote was just to encourage those that suspect a deficiency to try it since it's safe..

acrylic

@haidut Have you noticed the supplement getting darker over time? I keep out of sunlight, so I don't think it's due to UV exposure. Perhaps due to progressive staining of the bottle from the riboflavin?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut Have you noticed the supplement getting darker over time? I keep out of sunlight, so I don't think it's due to UV exposure. Perhaps due to progressive staining of the bottle from the riboflavin?

I do notice the staining of the bottle but not the liquid getting darker. I have a bottle of Energin that is almost 2 years old and there has been no change of color other than the bottle getting orange on the inside.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals