Endotoxin Produces Depression Symptons In Rats

J

j.

Endotoxin produces a depressive-like episode in rats

Activation of the immune system produces psychological and physiological effects, which resemble the characteristics of depression. The present study was designed to investigate further, in rats, the similarity between the behavioral effects of immune activation and a model of depression in animals. Reduction in the preference for and consumption of saccharin solutions and suppression of sexual behavior were used as models of one essential feature of depression, the inability to experience pleasure (anhedonia). Other measures testing this model were the reduction in food consumption, body weight, locomotor activity, and social interaction. It was found that systemic injection of lipopolysaccharide (endotoxin), which is a potent activator of the immune system, significantly decreased saccharin preference in fluid-deprived rats. Lipopolysaccharide (LPS) also decreased free consumption of saccharin, but not water, in non-deprived rats. Several indices of male sexual behavior were significantly suppressed following LPS administration. Chronic, but not acute, treatment with the tricyclic antidepressant imipramine abolished the suppressive effect of LPS on saccharin preference. Moreover, chronic, but not acute, treatment with imipramine also reduced and facilitated the recovery from the suppressive effects of LPS on food consumption, body weight, social interaction and activity in the open-field test. The results suggest that activation of the immune system in rats produces anhedonia and other depressive-like symptoms, which can be attenuated or completely blocked by chronic treatment with an antidepressant drug.

Link

Anyone have any experiences with imipramine (Tofranil)?

This guy seems to have some good results: Antidepressants for autism? - Ray Peat Q&A
Temple Grandin says she's been on various ones since her early 30s:
http://autism.com/advocacy_grandin
Fifty mg of Tofranil at bedtime worked like magic. Within a week, the feelings of nervousness started to go away. After being on Tofranil for four years I switched to 50 mg Norpramin (desipramine), which has fewer side effects. These pills have changed my life. Colitis and other stress-related health problems were cured....

My "nerve" attacks would go in cycles, and I have had relapses while on the drug. [Prozac] It took will power to stick with the 50 mg dose and let the relapse subside on its own. Taking the medicine is like adjusting the idle screw on a car's carburetor. Before taking the drug, the engine was racing all the time. Now it runs at normal speed. I no longer fixate, and I am no longer "driven." Prozac and Anafranil (clomipramine) have been very effective in autistics who have obsessive-compulsive symptoms or obsessive thoughts which race through their heads. The effective doses for Prozac have ranged from two 20 mg capsules per week to 40 mg per day.....

During the eight years I have been taking antidepressants, there has been a steady improvement in my speech, sociability, and posture. The change was so gradual that I did not notice it. Even though I felt relief from the "nerves" immediately, it takes time to unlearn old behavior patterns.

Yea I've been wondering about that too, So in the wiki it says that Imipramine has very strong reuptake inhibition on serotonin, same as amitriptyline. But it looks like Imipramine doesnt block all the serotonin receptors as good as amitriptyline does.

Here is what Peat thinks of amitriptyline:

Me:
Hi Dr. Peat,

I wanted to know if amitriptyline would be a safe option for treating depression/anxiety in your opinion. My doctor is recommending that I take it.

Thanks.
Ray:
I think it's safe. Compare the structure with cyproheptadine. Have you tried niacinamide, pregnenolone, and thyroid?

Me:
I currently take cyproheptadine. From my understanding, amitriptyline and cyproheptadine have opposing effects on serotonin. Is this true, and could this be problematic, if so?

Thanks.

Ray:
Both of those are appetite stimulants that tend to cause weight gain. Serotonin tends to cause anorexia. The drug industry generates noise in the process of selling drugs, and "serotonin" is one of their favorite noises.

Help with depression-amitriptyline

DaveFoster

Yea I've been wondering about that too, So in the wiki it says that Imipramine has very strong reuptake inhibition on serotonin, same as amitriptyline. But it looks like Imipramine doesnt block all the serotonin receptors as good as amitriptyline does.

Here is what Peat thinks of amitriptyline:

Help with depression-amitriptyline
I would guess Dr. Peat doesn't think either to be safe in the long-term; that certainly applies to amitryptyline.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals