Endotoxin Extermination Methods

EndAllDisease

Most people eat grains and at least some foods that promote the growth of endotoxin, and I suspect that even those who understand the work of Ray Peat eat them on occassion. Nobody's perfect, and these foods difficult to avoid at times.

o-GUT-BACTERIA-facebook.jpg

With that in mind, I think it's logical to have some effective strategies for exterminating them, a kill switch if you will, that we know will quickly eliminate all of the pathogenic microbes. Perhaps ingesting some substances every 5 hours after a meal containing undigestible fibres would be a good idea.

Things like ozonated water, H202 in water, or Miracle Mineral Supplement are antibiotic and will kill bacteria, but may have unintended side effects. For example, Ray has written that "The use of ozone and hydrogen peroxide to deodorize meat causes instantaneous oxidative changes, including lipid peroxidation and protein carbonyl formation, as well as increasing water retention." If this is true then similar effects can logically be expected in human cells.

Other than raw carrots and bamboo shoots, what are some safe antibiotics that will quickly and effectively remove bacteria from the gut?

Peata

I think some people use activated charcoal, well-cooked mushrooms.

When I get symptoms that I think are endotoxin, I use Dramamine.

FlatEarth said:
post 119191 Most people eat grains

Grains? Who eats grains? I don't know anyone who eats any of the following: amaranth, barley, buckwheat, farro, emmer, kamut, millet, muesli, quinoa, rye, sorghum, spelt, teff, and triticale.

Oh you mean bread? Something that is a highly refined flour that unless homemade or made by a trusted baker is always made with pufa oil and carrageenan/gums, sawdust, and noxious additives and always consumed with things like nitrite rich deli meats and lots of cheese and mayonnaise? But it's all the flours fault...

Endotoxin is produced by anything, including meat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pnan0ETlVE

Ad hominem on Greger is...ad hominem, it's not refuting the studies.

Endotoxin can never be "exterminated." It is a constant feedback loop. There is always some amount of endotoxin being produced. This is where pooping comes in.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tca300

I wonder why no one ever talks about the massive quantities of endotoxin thats already in food we consume. Cocoa is a great example of a food that contains a hefty dose of them. I did some research into it after I noticed it gives me small acne on my arms and legs. And Westside, the endotoxins are already in the meat before we consume them.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

tara

Warning: Tangent.

Westside PUFAs said:
post 119203 Grains? Who eats grains? I don't know anyone who eats any of the following: amaranth, barley, buckwheat, farro, emmer, kamut, millet, muesli, quinoa, rye, sorghum, spelt, teff, and triticale.

Really? I was eating at least six of these, while avoiding gluten, for several years. I wasn't the only one - others were buying them from the same shops as I was, and some of my friends ate them too. Sometimes cooked whole, sometimes kibbled or ground and cooked into porridge or other dishes, sometimes soaked and whizzed and fried into pancakes. The world-wide production of some of them runs to the hundreds of thousands of tonnes - and it's not all animal feed.
Muesli (which can be any number of mixtures of grains, fruit, nuts) is pretty standard fare around here. Barley is traditionally included in soups, along with broths and veges.

FredSonoma

tca300 said:
post 119204 I wonder why no one ever talks about the massive quantities of endotoxin thats already in food we consume. Cocoa is a great example of a food that contains a hefty dose of them. I did some research into it after I noticed it gives me small acne on my arms and legs. And Westside, the endotoxins are already in the meat before we consume them.

I have recently been eating a lot of cocoa, so I'm a little worried about this - it helps me get more magnesium. Does anyone else notice problems from eating cocoa?

tara

tca300 said:
post 119204 I wonder why no one ever talks about the massive quantities of endotoxin thats already in food we consume. Cocoa is a great example of a food that contains a hefty dose of them.

I've heard this before, esp. about gelatine. I have no trouble believing that gelatine and many foods contain endotoxin, even if the bacteria have been killed. What I haven't seen is any comparison that shows whether or not this is significant compared with what most of us already have in our guts. Have you come across or compiled anything like that?

tara

FredSonoma said:
post 119366 I have recently been eating a lot of cocoa, so I'm a little worried about this - it helps me get more magnesium. Does anyone else notice problems from eating cocoa?
I think I get some effects from excessive chocolate. I'm so far assuming it has more to do with theobromine or other inherent constituents.

tara

My current anti-endotoxin strategy is garlic. Peat has said garlic is as hard on the gut as on the bacteria, so he probably wouldn't recommend this method. I think I can tell my head is clearer if I eat some every day or two.

Peat's main recommendation is the raw carrot salad or cooked bamboo shoots, daily between meals, twice if necessary. Less frequent activated charcoal when stronger tactics are required, but this may have more persorption risk.

And this:
Westside PUFAs said:
post 119203 This is where pooping comes in.

OP
EndAllDisease

EndAllDisease

Westside PUFAs said:
post 119203 Oh you mean bread? Something that is a highly refined flour that unless homemade or made by a trusted baker is always made with pufa oil and carrageenan/gums, sawdust, and noxious additives and always consumed with things like nitrite rich deli meats and lots of cheese and mayonnaise? But it's all the flours fault...
I didn't know this. Thanks for sharing man.

Westside PUFAs said:
post 119203 Endotoxin is produced by anything, including meat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pnan0ETlVE
I didn't know this either. Although...
At 1minute 50 seconds the narrator says that endotoxin has a high affinity for the saturated fat 'transport system', and it also condemns dairy and eggs, and at 2 minutes 38 seconds he claims chicken is one of the primary sources of saturated fat intake in Americans. It's hard to imagine chicken having very much saturated fat at all, and I suspect he's probably wrong about the saturated fat 'transport system' affinity.
charlie said:
post 119207 Coconut oil "completely abolished responses to endotoxin"
Beautiful! Thanks for the link.

tara said:
post 119370 My current anti-endotoxin strategy is garlic. Peat has said garlic is as hard on the gut as on the bacteria, so he probably wouldn't recommend this method. I think I can tell my head is clearer if I eat some every day or two.
Muchos Gracias senorita, mui appreciar. I have heard garlic is antibiotic and feel better after consuming some last night. I've also heard honey is very antibiotic applied topically on wounds.
Study: http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/46/11/1677.long

Would be interesting if that applied to the intestine as well considering most people think bacteria would love honey. What do you think?

honey is a known remedy for H. Pylori overgrowth.

Supposedly manuka honey but I'm not sure there is a difference. One study at least didn't find a difference, all the honeys tested worked.

milk_lover

ecstatichamster said:
post 119512 honey is a known remedy for H. Pylori overgrowth.

Supposedly manuka honey but I'm not sure there is a difference. One study at least didn't find a difference, all the honeys tested worked.
It's difficult for me to distinguish between honey allergy and honey killing bacteria (the antibiotics effect) when I get stomach ache from a type of honey.

How does activated charcoal compare to cascara sargada?

T

tca300

tara said:
FredSonoma said:
post 119366 I have recently been eating a lot of cocoa, so I'm a little worried about this - it helps me get more magnesium. Does anyone else notice problems from eating cocoa?
I think I get some effects from excessive chocolate. I'm so far assuming it has more to do with theobromine or other inherent constituents.
I think the problem isn't the bacteria in the food, because it's usually killed by heat. Unfortunately you cannot get rid of endotoxin with heat. My guess is my gut is extra sensitive and that's why the cocoa bothers me. There are many benefits to eating it, for some the benefits I'm sure out weigh the endotoxin content.

T

tca300

tara said:
post 119369
FredSonoma said:
Also the coffee bean I believe is prepared similarly to the cocoa bean so coffee might have a decent endotoxin load as well. Ray consumes coffee so maybe it's a non issue for most. Cocoa also has a lot of fiber, which may or may not be a good thing.

I'm pretty sure that coconut oil is the best thing for endotoxins. And I think the reason is, that most endotoxins are lippolysaccharides and perhaps bad bacteria. And these get drawn up into the body through chylomicrons. And when you have coconut in the mix, for one thing, the coconut oil is quite antimicrobial. And the presence of coconut oil, MCT's, probably helps the body control the inflammatory damage that would happen otherwise, especially in the presence of PUFAs. I don't really know enough about it, but I think for this reason, coconut oil is the best thing you can do for endotoxins, and this is maybe the reason why we may be better off with higher amounts of coconut oil, instead of low-fat.

cedric

Bread with activated carbon
Effect of activated charcoal on endotoxin adsorption. Part I. An in vitro study - PubMed
“An in vitro study by using cross-linked agarose coated activated charcoal (CAAC-II) as adsorbent was conducted. Endotoxin was quantitatively measured by chromogenic method of limulus lysate test. Results of the study demonstrated that endotoxin was fairly efficiently removed by CAAC-II.”

DEFINE_ME
” The eficacy of various adsorbents for endotoxin was
tested in vitro and in vivo using a murine experimental model of gut-derived endotoxemia.[…]Kaopectate, kaolin/pectin mixture, kaolin,
pectin, bentonite, charcoal particles, and Jactulose
were tested for their ability to bind endotoxins both
in vitro and in vivo. The most effective material in
the prevention of endotoxemia proved to be bentonite followed by Kaopectate and charcoal particles.
Kaolin least eflectively bound endotoxin at similar
concentrations, while Jactulose and pectin had minimal effects. Good correlation was shown between
the ability of these drugs to bind endotoxin in vitro
as compared with in vivo action.”

Bread with activated carbon, perhaps all bakery food made on wooden fire , what about toasts?
Węgiel Drzewny Czarny Chleb Zdjęcie Stock - Obraz złożonej z odosobniony, objurgate: 17774696
Czarne bułeczki drożdżowe – Gotuj z Blue Raven