Endotoxin and histamine

Swandattur

I have only seen the abstract. It sounds like endotoxin can exacerbate allergies and reactions to bacteria, though. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... x/abstract. Here's what the abstract says: Keywords:
allergens;allergic;anti-IgE;asthma;bacteria;basophil leukocytes;endotoxins;histamine release;intrinsic asthma;lipopolysaccharides;non-immunological;potentiation
The histamine-releasing capability of lipopolysaccharides (LPS) was examined in human leukocyte suspensions. LPS alone did not release histamine, but was found to enhance the histamine release caused by anti-IgE. Also the IgE-mediated histamine release caused by specific antigens (allergens or bacteria) in sensitized individuals was enhanced by LPS. The potentiating effect of LPS was observed in grass pollen and dog dander allergic patients as well as in patients sensitized to E. coli or Staph, aureus bacteria. No potentiation was obtained by exposure to unspecific allergens or bacteria to which the persons were not sensitized. Bacteria can release histamine by immunological or nonimmunological mechanisms, and only the immunological histamine release was found to be potentiated by LPS. It is speculated that endotoxins reinforce release of histamine caused by allergens in allergic patients or by bacteria in persons sensitized to these microorganisms.

I notice if I eat any aged cheese, I will probably get an allergy reaction to my more allergenic cats, and if I don't eat cheese, I don't get a reaction. That may just be from the histamines in the cheese, but I guess the endotoxins in the cheese could play a role, too. Maybe the carrot salad would reduce the reaction.

ilovethesea

Swandattur said:
I have only seen the abstract. It sounds like endotoxin can exacerbate allergies and reactions to bacteria, though. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... x/abstract. Here's what the abstract says: Keywords:
allergens;allergic;anti-IgE;asthma;bacteria;basophil leukocytes;endotoxins;histamine release;intrinsic asthma;lipopolysaccharides;non-immunological;potentiation
The histamine-releasing capability of lipopolysaccharides (LPS) was examined in human leukocyte suspensions. LPS alone did not release histamine, but was found to enhance the histamine release caused by anti-IgE. Also the IgE-mediated histamine release caused by specific antigens (allergens or bacteria) in sensitized individuals was enhanced by LPS. The potentiating effect of LPS was observed in grass pollen and dog dander allergic patients as well as in patients sensitized to E. coli or Staph, aureus bacteria. No potentiation was obtained by exposure to unspecific allergens or bacteria to which the persons were not sensitized. Bacteria can release histamine by immunological or nonimmunological mechanisms, and only the immunological histamine release was found to be potentiated by LPS. It is speculated that endotoxins reinforce release of histamine caused by allergens in allergic patients or by bacteria in persons sensitized to these microorganisms.

I notice if I eat any aged cheese, I will probably get an allergy reaction to my more allergenic cats, and if I don't eat cheese, I don't get a reaction. That may just be from the histamines in the cheese, but I guess the endotoxins in the cheese could play a role, too. Maybe the carrot salad would reduce the reaction.

So based on this do you think the histamines in food are enough to worsen a reaction to say pollen, animal dander or dust?

OP
S

Swandattur

These studies are hard to sort out for me, but It seems as if it is saying endotoxin itself can make allergy reactions worse. Evidently there are endotoxins in high histamine foods. So, maybe it's not just the histamines. Maybe endotoxin in the food (and residing in the gut) exacerbate allergy reactions. Hmm, maybe we should find out what the endotoxin load is in various foods, if it is known at all. Guess it would vary. I think precut salad stuff has endotoxin. I think I read that recently. Glad you said something about this. Somehow I didn't follow this to what seems to be the logical conclusion.

honeybee

I agree about the chocolate -I bought a bar of dark choco with no additives. In retrospect, it put mean bad mood about half hour after eating it. I didn't think anything of my bad mood- put it down to work related. Anyway the same thing happened the next day- finally snapped that it was the choco so I threw the rest away. I don't normally react to choco that way s it must have been the brand. I bought a different brand this week and didn't get a reaction.

OP
S

Swandattur

Maybe it is the endotoxins that cause the problem, and I guess that would have to vary a lot. In reading stuff on line about it, orange juice seems to counteract the effects.

kiran

Thanks for posting this. It explains something i've been experiencing recently. Eating starch makes my (very mild) asthma flare up. The only explanation I can think of is that I have bacterial overgrowth.

Yes, carrot salad makes it all better.

OP
S

Swandattur

Well, I guess the carrot salad, by taking care of endotoxin, takes some of the load off the liver. Hopefully, when the body is healthier it can handle more of this stuff.