Endotoxin And Fat Consumption

thegiantess

Thank you! Wow. You do this all the time? :wideyed:

About once a week or so. I just keep my starter bubbling on the counter or if I'm not going to use for a week I keep it in the fridge and then I just make sure I have a day where I will be around the house and can tend to the bread. It's a long process, but there really isn't much hands on time.

OP
tyw

tyw

Is Peat's assertion to eat starches with saturated fats completely off base then?

In terms of endotoxin production, I don't see starch + fat to be problematic.

The mechanics discussed are independent of each other -- Fat-stimulated Chylomicron transport of endotoxin will occur with or without "starch". (And I've discussed in many of my other posts the distinction between different types of "starch").

In terms of metabolism, Haidut and others have posted about the many potential issues with too much fat + carbs -- you get competition for fatty acid derived substrate vs glucose, and fatty acids can cause insulin resistance at all levels (from the organ level down to the mitochondria -- see my posts about NADH:FADH2 ratio for this discussion).

Peat has never been specific about amounts. Personally, I see no added metabolic benefit from adding extra fat to carbohydrate, since more fat only inhibits the metabolism of carbohydrate further (in all systems except the liver and brain -- where carbohydrates tend to inhibit fatty acid use, and also the heart -- which tends to use fatty acids very readily).

There are reasons to eat fat + carbs, everything from palatability to slower release of carbohydrate (to prevent excessive hyperglycaemia). Whether or not it even matters how you combine foods is going to depend on the individual.

artist

In terms of endotoxin production, I don't see starch + fat to be problematic.

The mechanics discussed are independent of each other -- Fat-stimulated Chylomicron transport of endotoxin will occur with or without "starch". (And I've discussed in many of my other posts the distinction between different types of "starch").

In terms of metabolism, Haidut and others have posted about the many potential issues with too much fat + carbs -- you get competition for fatty acid derived substrate vs glucose, and fatty acids can cause insulin resistance at all levels (from the organ level down to the mitochondria -- see my posts about NADH:FADH2 ratio for this discussion).

Peat has never been specific about amounts. Personally, I see no added metabolic benefit from adding extra fat to carbohydrate, since more fat only inhibits the metabolism of carbohydrate further (in all systems except the liver and brain -- where carbohydrates tend to inhibit fatty acid use, and also the heart -- which tends to use fatty acids very readily).

There are reasons to eat fat + carbs, everything from palatability to slower release of carbohydrate (to prevent excessive hyperglycaemia). Whether or not it even matters how you combine foods is going to depend on the individual.

First of all thank you so much for this thread as it's given a very plausible explanation for what's going on in my particular case (described in "Why Does Starch Make Me Extremely Sick?") something I've been scrambling around trying to find. I will say that in my experience, starch+fat (as in starch with any amount of added fat, at all) is a problem possibly because starch easily generates endotoxin and fat easily transports it out. Without the fat the starch ceases to be a problem, without the starch the fat remains a problem that is simply less extreme probably due to the fact that sugars, fibers etc are still fermentable. I think this is why as Denise Minger pointed out, people seem to get magical results from both very low fat and low carb diets, but a mixed diet with significant amounts of both carbs and fats allows for both significant endotoxin production and transport out of the gut.

Interestingly enough my father has MS and there may be a genetic vulnerability in my family that is leading me, despite not having MS, to benefit from the diet most commonly thought to control MS symptoms. The fact that this all supports a view that MS is caused or exacerbated by endotoxemia is pretty amazing.

tara

If gluten was never named gluten, then it wouldn't be popular. The word "gluten" sounds cool. It sounds like glue.
You can make glue out of it too.

Celiac disease is extremely rare. If so many people were truly celiac, you'd see people dying from malnutrition from a destroyed gut lining. One look at high wheat countries such as Italy shows how rare it is.
I guess it depends on what you mean by rare. Estimate seem to range from c. > 1/100 to 1/250-300. So probably quite a few people going through my local supermarket every week.
I know a couple of people who get very sick when they occasionally get something accidentally contaminated (possibly some cafe staff think the desire for 'gluten-free' food is just a fad, not a real need, or think that a little bit of contamination doesn't matter). I saw one of those people go from extremely sick to quite healthy and active in less than a week when coeliac was diagnosed, and gluten excluded.

I'm not sure that those 'gluten-free' processed (pseudo?) foods are so cheap to make and sell compared with the ubiquitous high-volume wheat. But mostly they are not worth eating unless you have to. They often make up for the lack of gluten glue by using other glues, like guar and other gums, which can also be hard on the gut.
When I avoided gluten (not diagnosed coeliac, but with digestive symptoms I associated with wheat), I tended to favour other grains, rice noodles, etc.

Amazoniac

Freegans,
more clues from this study: Dietary lipids modify the cytokine response to bacterial lipopolysaccharide in mice. - PubMed - NCBI

There are some interesting observations:
  • The cytokine response started to decline after a certain concentration of injected LPS; in other words, lower-grade inflammation didn't elicit significant protective measures.
The following are cytokines related to inflammation:
  • TNF-a was significantly lower in mice fed coconut oil and fish oil (including a "low-fat" one).
  • IL-1b was significantly higher in mice fed safflower oil.
  • IL-6 was significantly lower in mice fed fish oil.
  • IL-10 was sigficantly higher in mice fed coconut oil. The authors state that this interleukin apparently has been found to control the inflammatory response; anti-inflammatory in a way, not that it's good to have it elevated though :ss They even compared the ratios of TNF-a/IL-10, and again the coconut oil was the lowest, including in comparison with the "low-fat".
The authors by the end also commented that coconut oil might behave different in vivo than ex vivo, because in other studies, that didn't evaluate the effects in animals, they found that those cytokines didn't differ in response to different oils; unlike the results shown in this one. They also mentioned a study that found that TNF peaked when they tested fish oil, compared to low-fat, coconut oil or corn oil.

They mentioned that n-3 PUFAs inhibit the enzymes responsible for the activation of NF-kB; and n-6 PUFAs activate it. So, they speculated that the diets with the worst results are the ones that were highest (in proportion) in n-6 PUFAs; the safflower oil and the low-fat one (despite being low-fat). And, by the same logic, the best outcomes on the coconut oil and fish oil diets.

The gurus then commented the fact that coconut oil increased IL-10, whereas the fish oil didn't significantly. So, their protective effect might be through different mechanisms (or mechanics if you're tyw).​

narouz

Again, the dose is completely realistic for real-world consumption standards. Maybe not for Peat standards, but how many times have you seen people drizzle on 2 tablespoons of oil and then some nuts on a "healthy salad", or eat 2 slices of pecan pie (that's 45g of fat in 250g of food ;) ), or drink a Bulletproof coffee with 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 tablespoon of MCT oil (45g of fat in 500mL of liquid).

This is very true.
Amazoniac, you're going to have to recuse yourself on judging this particularly food appetite,
because I know you don't like to eat fat.

Before I was into Peat and therefore anti-PUFA,
I used to go to an Italian restaurant that would put some good bread
on the table before the food arrived,
with a little dish to put olive oil into in order to dip your bread into it.

I probably consumed 3 tablespoons easily before the meal was even served.
And many/most people do that sort of thing.

OP
tyw

tyw

And note, that this initial inflammatory response is exactly why coconut is beneficial, and why fish oil masks the problem and "suppresses the immune system".

See sections 'NF-kB Considered Useful' and 'DHA and Immune Function in the Gut, with a discussion of generic mechanisms' of my DHA article -- Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA)

But yet, this is probably also why high Fish oil or PUFA consumption seems to "help" in the short run, by reducing detectable symptoms. My article went through some clear mechanics as to how this localised loss of gut immunity can lead to systemic stress effects in the face of pathogens.

Amazoniac

This is very true.
Amazoniac, you're going to have to recuse yourself on judging this particularly food appetite,
because I know you don't like to eat fat.

Before I was into Peat and therefore anti-PUFA,
I used to go to an Italian restaurant that would put some good bread
on the table before the food arrived,
with a little dish to put olive oil into in order to dip your bread into it.

I probably consumed 3 tablespoons easily before the meal was even served.
And many/most people do that sort of thing.
I gradually moved to a low-fat diet, and I don't plan to go back. However even when I consumed considerable amounts of butter, it wasn't anything close to that.
That's what most studies consider an hypercaloric meal; that in itself is already a problem as far as I know. Since starches soak oils, people don't realize how much they're actually eating, because the food is not drowning. It's what West has been posting for a long time, refering to it as a high-everything diet.

Right now I'm still trying to figure out if it's worth having a starchy meal with a bit of fat or plain.
And speaking of studies, it's rare to find experiments with good outcomes from the average intakes of what they tested. Perhaps because they consider things in isolation..

And note, that this initial inflammatory response is exactly why coconut is beneficial, and why fish oil masks the problem and "suppresses the immune system".

See sections 'NF-kB Considered Useful' and 'DHA and Immune Function in the Gut, with a discussion of generic mechanisms' of my DHA article -- Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA)

But yet, this is probably also why high Fish oil or PUFA consumption seems to "help" in the short run, by reducing detectable symptoms. My article went through some clear mechanics as to how this localised loss of gut immunity can lead to systemic stress effects in the face of pathogens.

Your blog is excellent! You should add the link to your signature..

Last edited:
L

lollipop

I gradually moved to a low-fat diet, and I don't plan to go back. However even when I consumed considerable amounts of butter, it wasn't anything close to that.
That's what most studies consider an hypercaloric meal; that in itself is already a problem as far as I know. Since starches soak oils, people don't realize how much they're actually eating, because the food is not drowning. It's what West has been posting for a long time, refering to it as a high-everything diet.

Right now I'm still trying to figure out if it's worth having a starchy meal with a bit of fat or plain.
And speaking of studies, it's rare to find experiments with good outcomes from the average intakes of what they tested. Perhaps because they consider things in isolation..

Your blog is excellent! You should add the link to your signature..

I agree @Amazoniac - @tyw blog is good...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
tyw

tyw

I agree @Amazoniac - @tyw blog is good and nice to know TYW you are familiar with Human Design. I love it...

Heh, I don't generally care for spreading my ideas (the right people will find them), and do not ever talk about my knowledge of Human Design in public either :shifty::muted:

L

lollipop

Oops :imsorry

deleting now @tyw - you just need to edit your above post and all is good - back to privacy...

moss

Heh, I don't generally care for spreading my ideas (the right people will find them), and do not ever talk about my knowledge of Human Design in public either :shifty::muted:

Agree. A great blog and I am working my way through The Scrivel Archive, imaginative drawings and I like your wit.

OP
tyw

tyw

Oops :imsorry

deleting now @tyw - you just need to edit your above post and all is good - back to privacy...

Nah, I'm not "private" about a topic like Human Design ;). I obviously have my chart right on my site (which was generated by software I wrote on my own using what I believe to be a more updated Ephemeris :clown:).

But I won't promote Human Design, nor actively say that I know a lot about it :penguin:, nor discuss any of the "advanced topics" or implications (because it's just too much detail to explain). But if it's a discussion of basic types, I'm fine with that ;) I'm sure it's pretty evident to you why I act the way I act based on my 3.5/5.6 Cross of the Sleeping Phoenix triple-integration channel Manifestating-Generator design.

Agree. A great blog and I am working my way through The Scrivel Archive, imaginative drawings and I like your wit.

:p:penguin:, though I stopped drawing those because there really wasn't much more to say. Philosophy was set early in life, and now it's time to pursue skills, knowledge, and money :guitar::hammer::wrench:

Parsifal

The point I was making is that the concept of “gluten free” is not important in relation to the top killers. Let’s just look at heart disease. Let’s not even look at all of the other problems. Just heart disease, the number one killer. Does a quality, traditional, stoneground, sprouted, organic, artisan baker made, masonry wood-fired oven baked, gluten containing bread contribute to atherosclerosis? No. I don't see how it would. Add olive oil, any oil, deli meat, and even cheese, does it now? Well, yes but it’s not the gluten that injured the endothelial lining of the arteries, it’s the other stuff, it’s the junk. And as you said, it's a vague term in reguards to wheat. When people think "wheat" they think bread, pasta, cookies, cakes, crusty pies, pastries, donuts, muffins, pancakes, waffles, biscuits, noodles, and crackers. All delivery systems for pufa and safa.

As Matt Stone said here:

“This seems like common sense knowing that the billions of lean people living in Africa, Asia, and South America--as well as all of our lean primate cousins--eat a much higher ratio of carbohydrates to fat than in North America, Europe, and Australia where obesity flourishes (and carbohydrates like rice, beans, potatoes, corn, and fruit are displaced by cheeseburgers, ice cream, pizza, cookies, cake, and deep-fried carbohydrates like french fries).”

This is what I’m talking about when I say “junk.” The typical anti-health nut will read that and do the typical roll of the eyes. Yes, you can, and I do, eat those foods on occasion. The point is, why are so many in the west obese and atherosclerogenic? It is because they are eating boiled starch with no fat added to it and fruit as the base of their diet, every day, day after day? No. I know what they are eating. I was obese and hyperglycemic myself. I know what obese people eat.

I know what you mean when you say the" X population" thing but I do think there is some value in certain contexts.

"For the present, the important thing is to avoid the use of the least appropriate food products, while choosing natural foods that have historical, epidemiological, and biochemical justification."-RP

As Terry Shintani , shows here: Weight Loss Lie #1 "It's all in your genes"- Lecture by Dr. Terry Shintani

Contrary to popular opinion, native Hawaiians are not "just big genetically." There are paintings of them by the British from centuries ago and if you're skeptical of paintings, there are real photographs from the 20th century. They were lean, muscular, and there is no evidence of obesity, type 2 diabetes, cancer, heart disease, living on a diet based on taro root, which is a starch. Yes they ate fish, before the ocean was as bad as it is today. But what was missing from the diet? Any kind of oil and dairy fat. In my opinion, it's not about calories, it's about oil and cream (dairy fat). Oil and cream are the biggest contributors to the main problems of heart disease, cancer, obesity, T2D, alzheimer's, and rheumatoid arthritis. I think sulfur containing amino acids, environmental contaminants, atrophy from lack of movement, lack of fiber, lack of phytonutrients, and lack of sunlight on lots of skin are other contributors.

Peat drinks low fat milk and has mentioned the fattening effect of dairy fat. So anything I say here isn't anti-milk, it's anti-milk fat, or the over consumption of milk fat.

I don't think it's a mystery why there is a T2D and obesity epidemic in Polynesia:

Polynesia - The Obesity Epidemic

“Sixty years ago, diabetes was virtually unheard of in the Marshall Islands. People were slim and physically active and lived off the land. Their diet consisted of fish, seafood, and edible plants such as coconut, breadfruit, taro, pandanas, and leafy greens. Breadfruit is a starchy fruit that grows on trees and is generally roasted on an open fire. Nutritionally, it is similar to white potatoes. Pandanas is a huge, extremely fibrous fruit that is chewed and sucked on to extract the carotenoid-rich, juicy orange pulp.”

Now all of the islands produce dairy:

“Fiji is the dominant producer accounting for around 90% of all whole fresh milk produced in the PIC. Fiji per capita dairy production is 85kg per annum which is 5 times that of the nearest rivals New Caledonia and Vanuatu.

Fiji, Vanuatu, and New Caledonia produce processed dairy products. Fiji producers butter, ghee, and cheese. A single vertically integrated dairy farm in Vanuatu producers high quality cream, yoghurt, and cheese products. Similar products are produced in New Caledonia. However production statistics are only available for Fiji (table 4). In 1997 Fiji produced 1,700 tonnes of butter and ghee products, up from 1,227 in 1990 (a 38% increase). This represented only 0.32% of Oceania production.”

See the references here for heart disease and the Inuit. I don't think it's a stretch to take something from that data.

Best video I've seen debunking the Inuit/Esikmo high fat eaters, and mummmies had heart disease pre-

Everything has arsenic in it. I'll take my chances with rice over seafood. The only seafood I've ever enjoyed was yellowfin tuna. Seafood has always disgusted me. I gagged every time I tried to swallow oysters.

Oysters May Serve As Link In Transmission Of Norovirus

"Since a devastating fish kill blighted the waters along 120 miles of coastline in central Vietnam, hundreds of people are believed to have fallen ill from eating poisoned fish."
Your replies are always interesting but why do some people get very sick anytime they eat starch? Haidut said that it can increase cortisol. I can't eat it without feeling very heavy and drugged with a very runny nose, lowered temps and swollen lymph nodes, and if I eat it several days in a row I get a flu and liver spasms... I don't have Corhn.

Your replies are always interesting but why do some people get very sick anytime they eat starch? Haidut said that it can increase cortisol. I can't eat it without feeling very heavy and drugged with a very runny nose, lowered temps and swollen lymph nodes, and if I eat it several days in a row I get a flu and liver spasms... I don't have Corhn.

I'll send you my form to fill out.

Amazoniac

People that get anxious trying to outcompete Google’s autocomplete,

Interesting stuff, suggesting a possible protective role of obesity when it comes to immune challenges.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25542778

“..several reports have shown that DIO [diet-induced obesity] can suppress aspects of the response to an immune challenge. For example, Lawerence et al [12] reported that DIO mice show reduced neural activation, as measured by the immediate early gene c-Fos, following LPS administration in select brain regions. In addition, macrophages from DIO animals show reduced interleukin-1β (IL-1β), TNF-α, nuclear factor-κB (NF-κB), Toll-like receptor-4 (TLR-4) and inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) levels following an immune challenge when compared to macrophages from control diet animals [13–16]. In addition, we found attenuated levels of IL-6 in the cortex of DIO males mice following LPS administration [17].”

“The body’s response to an immune challenge includes a complementary shift in behavior. This behavioral response, commonly known as sickness behavior, includes a reduction in locomotor activity, alterations in sleep, depression of social and sexual behavior, anorexia, fever, as well as suppression of other species typical behaviors [18–20]. Induction of sickness behavior is mediated by the activity of several inflammatory molecules including prostaglandins and the proinflammatory cytokines IL-1β, IL-6, and TNF-α [18, 20, 21].”

“..Pohl et al. [22] report that rats fed a high-fat diet showed prolonged suppression of social behavior following LPS administration.”

“Beyond the development of sickness behavior, immune activation can disrupt cognitive function. Processes dependent on the hippocampus are particularly sensitive to disruption following an immune challenge. For instance, LPS administration impairs contextual, but not auditory, fear conditioning [23, 24]. In addition, immune activation has been shown to disrupt spatial learning in the water maze [25–27]. Similar to sickness behavior, these cognitive deficits result from proinflammatory cytokines acting within the brain, as cytokine administration mimics the deficits induced by LPS and inhibition of IL-1β and IL-6 have been shown to block memory deficits following infection [28–32].”

“LPS administration increased brain levels of IL-6 in the control mice (p<0.05). However, LPS administration had no effect on IL-6 levels in the DIO mice as LPS- and saline-treated DIO mice did not differ from one another.”

“On the surface the lack of cytokine-induced cognitive deficits may be viewed as a beneficial response, however, these behavioral data in conjunction with the physiological measurements clearly indicate that DIO alters the immune system’s ability to adequately respond to an immune challenge.”

“Though more work is needed to fully characterize the impact of DIO on the behavioral response to immune activation, our data provide novel evidence that the cognitive deficits following an immune challenge are blunted in DIO mice.”

“Attenuated levels of IL-6 may contribute to the absence of cognitive deficits following immune activation in the DIO mice. In humans, increased levels of IL-6 are associated with a greater incidence of cognitive decline [36]. Further, animal research has shown that inhibiting IL-6 prevents the expression of LPS-induced cognitive deficits [31, 32]. For example, Sparkman et al. [32] found that wild type mice show impairments in working memory following LPS administration, but these deficits were absent in IL-6 knockout mice.” “While it is unlikely that IL-6 completely mediates the cognitive deficits that result from an immune challenge, as other cytokines such as IL-1β are likely involved, the present data in conjunction with prior reports emphasizes the role of IL-6 in impairing cognitive function [28, 29, 31, 32, 36].”

“However, the lack of a spatial learning deficit in the DIO mice in the present study is likely due to the use of female mice. Prior work has shown that male and female mice respond differently to DIO. For example, Gallou-Kabani [39] reported that while both male and female C57BL/6J mice show symptoms of type 2 diabetes when fed a high-fat diet the changes were less pronounced in the female mice. Further, DIO was reported to decrease hippocampal neurogenesis in males, but not females [40].”

“Taken together, the data indicate that while DIO induces physiological changes in both male and female mice, male mice appear more susceptible to the effects of DIO particularly in regards to impairments in cognitive function and measures of neural plasticity.”

“While many genes showed a similar response to LPS exposure in the obese and control mice there were over 3,000 genes that were differentially regulated in the obese mice that did not change in the control mice. In addition, they report that DIO mice showed a 50% increase in the number of macrophages in the lungs in response to LPS inhalation when compared to control mice, but lower levels of IL-6 and TNF-α were produced in the DIO mice [1]. Collectively, these data indicate that DIO alters immune function, but depending on the immune parameter assessed results may show suppression or enhancement of immune activity.”

Amazoniac

Oracles,
adding more clues to our concerns with endotoxins.

When you slow down the transit time, foods remains in the intestines for longer and so carbohydrates, that are well known to be preferentially consumed by microbes, are the first to go; when that happens, microbes turn to protein and fat; an example of this is kefir fermentation. This occurs regardless of diet when the motility is diminished. As a consequence, relatively benign microbes are suppressed and the growth of problematic ones is encouraged.

Factors Controlling the Intestinal Bacteria: The Effect of Acute Obstruction and Stasis on Bacterial Types on JSTOR

“It is the general view that the addition of lactose or dextrin to the diet brings about the change in the intestinal types because these carbohydrates, unlike others, are slowly absorbed and hence reach the region of maximum bacterial activity.”

And here they interpret that as a benign thing because as they imply, a diet that lacks enough carbohydrates (or the foods remains stagnant for too long) encourages the growth of certain microbes, and so the shift occurs:

“A diet rich in protein of animal origin brings about an intestinal flora dominated by proteolytic putrefactive organisms, while a carbohydrate diet, more particularly one containing definite amounts of either lactose or dextrin, produces a complete change in the intestinal bacteria so that the predominant organisms are fermentative or aciduric.”

“This interpretation is in accord with the well-known observation that the feces of the breast-fed infant are acid in reaction whereas those of an adult on a high animal protein diet are alkaline, and coincides with the facts in the natural souring of milk and the ripening of silage, where the evidence is convincing that the first stage is carried on by members of the colon-aerogenes group, and as the acidity increases these are out-numbered by streptococci and these in turn by lactobacilli.”

“..Whatever may be the exact factor in determining the predominance of types, it is apparent that diet is not the sole factor, as the bacteria are subjected to all the variations in functions of the intestinal tract, namely, motility, secretions, and degree of absorption.”

“We have previously reported experiments in lower animals in which the evidence seemed to prove that the toxemia of acute intestinal obstruction is directly dependent on the nature of the intestinal flora.”

“It will be seen that the animals whose intestinal flora was aciduric survive the obstruction a little longer than those whose flora was proteolytic. There was, however, a much more marked difference in the postoperative behavior of these two groups. The meat eaters were listless from the first and refused their food. The lactose eaters, on the other hand, were alert and always eager for food.”

“The postoperative behavior of the meat eaters is also very similar to that of the monkey studied by Herter and Kendall7 which was sleepy and stupid when being fed a diet encouraging the growth of proteolytic organisms, but became alert when carbohydrates were added to the diet. More recently Underbill and Simpson 8 have observed similar effects in a dog fed the two types of diet. The striking thing about these experiments, however, is that irrespective of the character of the diet, i. e., whether lactose is given or not, a complete stasis of the intestinal content results in a proteolytic intestinal flora.” :ss

They then mention a cruel experiment in which they simply closed the dogs’ intestines and compared a diet that consisted of protein+simple carbs versus a diverse diet with complex carbs:

“All of them died in the course of 2 weeks, those fed on the lactose surviving 2 or 3 days longer on the average than the meat eaters. At necropsy in all cases there was found above the site of obstruction a foul smelling, dark gray fluid, and examination revealed a great predominance of gram-negative proteolytic organisms.”

The same occured when a part of the intestine was cut and removed to later on be left hanging there obstructed, they reconnected both ends and kept the intestinal continuity #PETA; but with that obstructed part, the fecal matter starts to decay, and the same shift occurs, those microbes develop and soon cause a systemic problem when they reach circulation, “a great preponderance of gram-negative organisms” are found.

“In every case at death the bacteria in the closed loops were almost entirely gram-negative in type.”

They commented that “Animals may survive indefinitely with such closed intestinal segment” if it was sterilized before reinsertion.

“Apparently the succus entericus is not sufficiently bactericidal to suppress the growth of these organisms and is not comparable to the fluid in the free abdominal cavity in that respect. It is probable that the gram-positive bacteria disappear from these loops for the same reasons that they disappear from the normal intestine in starvation.”

“It is probable, however, that the mechanism of bacterial control is identical in both cases and is dependent on the presence of utilizable carbohydrate in all parts of the small intestine and colon. In conditions of stasis or obstruction even such carbohydrates as dextrin and lactose are probably completely absorbed in the upper part of the intestine and so cannot affect bacterial growth lower down.”

“The experiments with the closed intestinal loops demonstrate that the intestinal juice is not markedly bactericidal, at least so far as the proteolytic group of organisms is concerned. The disappearance of the gram-positive aciduric bacteria is probably due to the fact that carbohydrates are absent from such loops and that the intestinal juice is quite markedly alkaline in reaction.”

It seems to me that the most important conclusion from this is that the focus should be on the constant flow. However, to bring back the microbial balance to a safer profile you might need complex carbs.

--
Also interesting:
Abnormal intestinal motor patterns explain enteric colonization with gram-negative bacilli in late radiation enteropathy
Correlates dysmotility, impaired fasted peristalsis, not enough stomach acid with higher numbers of gram-negative bacteria.

Last edited:
L

lollipop

Oracles,
adding more clues to our concerns with endotoxins.

When you slow down the transit time, foods remains in the intestines for longer and so carbohydrates, that are well known to be preferentially consumed by microbes, are the first to go; when that happens, microbes turn to protein and fat; an example of this is kefir fermentation. This occurs regardless of diet when the motility is diminished. As a consequence, relatively benign microbes are suppressed and the growth of problematic ones is encouraged.

Factors Controlling the Intestinal Bacteria: The Effect of Acute Obstruction and Stasis on Bacterial Types on JSTOR

“It is the general view that the addition of lactose or dextrin to the diet brings about the change in the intestinal types because these carbohydrates, unlike others, are slowly absorbed and hence reach the region of maximum bacterial activity.”

And here they interpret that as a benign thing because as they imply, a diet that lacks enough carbohydrates (or the foods remains stagnant for too long) encourages the growth of certain microbes, and so the shift occurs:

“A diet rich in protein of animal origin brings about an intestinal flora dominated by proteolytic putrefactive organisms, while a carbohydrate diet, more particularly one containing definite amounts of either lactose or dextrin, produces a complete change in the intestinal bacteria so that the predominant organisms are fermentative or aciduric.”

“This interpretation is in accord with the well-known observation that the feces of the breast-fed infant are acid in reaction whereas those of an adult on a high animal protein diet are alkaline, and coincides with the facts in the natural souring of milk and the ripening of silage, where the evidence is convincing that the first stage is carried on by members of the colon-aerogenes group, and as the acidity increases these are out-numbered by streptococci and these in turn by lactobacilli.”

“..Whatever may be the exact factor in determining the predominance of types, it is apparent that diet is not the sole factor, as the bacteria are subjected to all the variations in functions of the intestinal tract, namely, motility, secretions, and degree of absorption.”

“We have previously reported experiments in lower animals in which the evidence seemed to prove that the toxemia of acute intestinal obstruction is directly dependent on the nature of the intestinal flora.”

“It will be seen that the animals whose intestinal flora was aciduric survive the obstruction a little longer than those whose flora was proteolytic. There was, however, a much more marked difference in the postoperative behavior of these two groups. The meat eaters were listless from the first and refused their food. The lactose eaters, on the other hand, were alert and always eager for food.”

“The postoperative behavior of the meat eaters is also very similar to that of the monkey studied by Herter and Kendall7 which was sleepy and stupid when being fed a diet encouraging the growth of proteolytic organisms, but became alert when carbohydrates were added to the diet. More recently Underbill and Simpson 8 have observed similar effects in a dog fed the two types of diet. The striking thing about these experiments, however, is that irrespective of the character of the diet, i. e., whether lactose is given or not, a complete stasis of the intestinal content results in a proteolytic intestinal flora.” :ss

They then mention a cruel experiment in which they simply closed the dogs’ intestines and compared a diet that consisted of protein+simple carbs versus a diverse diet with complex carbs:

“All of them died in the course of 2 weeks, those fed on the lactose surviving 2 or 3 days longer on the average than the meat eaters. At necropsy in all cases there was found above the site of obstruction a foul smelling, dark gray fluid, and examination revealed a great predominance of gram-negative proteolytic organisms.”

The same occured when a part of the intestine was cut and removed to later on be left hanging there obstructed, they reconnected both ends and kept the intestinal continuity #PETA; but with that obstructed part, the fecal matter starts to decay, and the same shift occurs, those microbes develop and soon cause a systemic problem when they reach circulation, “a great preponderance of gram-negative organisms” are found.

“In every case at death the bacteria in the closed loops were almost entirely gram-negative in type.”

They commented that “Animals may survive indefinitely with such closed intestinal segment” if it was sterilized before reinsertion.

“Apparently the succus entericus is not sufficiently bactericidal to suppress the growth of these organisms and is not comparable to the fluid in the free abdominal cavity in that respect. It is probable that the gram-positive bacteria disappear from these loops for the same reasons that they disappear from the normal intestine in starvation.”

“It is probable, however, that the mechanism of bacterial control is identical in both cases and is dependent on the presence of utilizable carbohydrate in all parts of the small intestine and colon. In conditions of stasis or obstruction even such carbohydrates as dextrin and lactose are probably completely absorbed in the upper part of the intestine and so cannot affect bacterial growth lower down.”

“The experiments with the closed intestinal loops demonstrate that the intestinal juice is not markedly bactericidal, at least so far as the proteolytic group of organisms is concerned. The disappearance of the gram-positive aciduric bacteria is probably due to the fact that carbohydrates are absent from such loops and that the intestinal juice is quite markedly alkaline in reaction.”

It seems to me that the most important conclusion from this is that the focus should be on the constant flow. However, to bring back the microbial balance to a safer profile you might need complex carbs.

--
Also interesting:
Abnormal intestinal motor patterns explain enteric colonization with gram-negative bacilli in late radiation enteropathy
Correlates dysmotility, impaired fasted peristalsis, not enough stomach acid with higher numbers of gram-negative bacteria.
Interesting share. Thank you, bookmarked!

Amazoniac

Interesting share. Thank you, bookmarked!
Yeah, and although endotoxins have a deserved bad reputation, their signaling potential is often overlooked; what often passes unnoticed is the fact that to serve as signals they cannot be equal, even for a short term inflammatory response. Their structure is similar but they are different, and so they're going to affect the body differently.

An introduction can be found here:
Regulation of interactions of Gram-negative bacterial endotoxins with mammalian cells - Springer

“Endotoxins are unique and very abundant surface glycolipids of GNB [gram-negative bacteria]. They are amphipathic molecules, comprised of a conserved lipid A region that contains a b-1 -> 6 linked disaccharide of N-acetylglucosamine linked by ester or amide bonds to 3-OH-fatty acids that may be further substituted with non-hydroxylated fatty acids in an acyloxyacyl linkage (Fig. 1) [1, 4, 7, 8]. Attached to the lipid A region is a carbohydrate chain of variable length and composition, including an acidic inner and less charged outer core oligosaccharide and, in many Gram-negative bacterial species and strains, a distal strain-specific polymer of repeating tetra- or pentasaccharide units (O-antigen) [1, 9].”

“Variations in endotoxin structure may contribute to bacterial virulence either by dampening early innate immune defense responses to infection [11] or by exacerbating systemic inflammatory responses that ensue when local infection is not contained as in Gram-negative bacterial sepsis [1, 2].”

“Differences among endotoxin species in lipid A structure, such as differences in the number of fatty acids, their length, symmetry, and saturation, introduced by differences in de novo endotoxin biosynthesis and/or host or bacteria-induced metabolic remodeling, can markedly alter the pro-inflammatory activity of endotoxin [6, 7, 11, 15].”

“Key to the concerted action of LBP [LPS-binding protein], CD14, and MD-2 is the ability of these endotoxin-binding proteins to dramatically alter the physical presentation of endotoxin, such that individual endotoxin monomers are extracted from the Gram-negative bacterial outer membrane or from purified endotoxin aggregates to form monomeric endotoxin (E):protein complexes that, at pM [minute] endotoxin concentrations, indirectly (E:CD14 with MD-2/TLR4) or directly (E:MD-2 with TLR4) engage TLR4 and cause potent receptor and cell activation (Fig. 2; 10, 23, 24). The combined action of LBP and CD14 (and MD-2) can convert one Gram-negative bacterium containing ca. 10^6 E molecules to 10^6 TLR4-activating monomeric E:protein complexes capable of activating ~10^3 host cells, thus greatly amplifying host responses to endotoxin.”

Which is why its potential to trigger inflammation is not an accident. The authors later commented how an ability to avoid this inflammatory host response determines in part the bacterial virulence:

"Certain highly virulent GNB owe their virulence, at least in part, to their ability to initiate infection without inducing a robust host inflammatory response. For example, a crucial determinant of the virulence of Yersinia pestis, the causative agent of the plague, is production of a variant (tetra-acylated) form of endotoxin that is antagonistic to TLR4 [21], presumably by forming an inactive complex with MD-2. In Francisella tularensis, the endotoxin(s) made by this organism does not react with LBP (or the closely related endotoxin-binding protein bactericidal/permeability-increasing protein (see below), thus blunting both initial host responses to F. tularensis infection and the efficacy of at least one important arm of innate host defenses that is normally potently active against invading GNB [37]."

“In contrast to tissue sites not normally inhabited by GNB, intestinal and other mucosal epithelial sites where incidental incursions of cell-free endotoxin are common and are apparently hypo-responsive to endotoxin [42, 43]. In the resting airway and lung, highly sensitive host responses to endotoxin are important for host defense against inhaled bacteria but frequent exposure to endotoxin can also occur from non-infectious particulate matter, such as occupational and household dust [52, 53].”

Amazoniac

One more thing that is worth commenting is that people that have issues related to endotoxins after consuming starch assume that by eating, even if temporarily, a diet that consists mainly of starches, are going to make their situation worse and unbearable. However, after studying West's work in depth (available for free, here on the forum) you realize that sometimes the outcome from experiments like these is usually unexpected.
That exact diet is capable of providing enough nutrients and energy in an easily digested way without excess proteins to interact with bacteria in an already compromised metabolic state. Concerning problematic bacteria, what's left for microbes from properly prepared starches is a bit of resistant starch that will do the aforementioned job of providing a bit of carbs that hopefully will serve to shift the microbial balance. Just as capable as restoring the metabolism as the milk and orange juice diet.
I won't cite because you all know how many books are there devoted to starch-based diets and most of them have positive results in practice. In case the milk and oj diet didn't work for someone, even if you consider that it's against odds and counter-intuitive, I think it's worth considering the starch, fruit and vegetable approach. Making sure that you're getting proper micronutrition and supplementing if needed.

Again, I'm not taking sides of anything. This just seems to me a reasonable approach despite the resistance to it that we encounter here sometimes.

--
Related to the previous post:
Lipopolysaccharides (LPS) of Oral Black-Pigmented Bacteria Induce Tumor Necrosis Factor Production by LPS-Refractory C3H/HeJ Macrophages in a Way Different from That of Salmonella LPS

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals