lvysaur

Mauritio

That is one aspect, but to reduce it down to that alone is severely erroneous.

It is in fact the absence of calories that do things like activate stem cells and autophagy. Or do you have sources that show similar effect can be achieved with supplementation?
Nope , do you have sources for showing that it is NOT only the absence of Endotoxin or ONLY the absence of calories that induces those changes? Also raising cortisol is quite an issue when fasting . And as we no cortisol can create ALL shades of aging in the human body...

Mauritio

Synthetic Toll-Like Receptor 4 Agonists Stimulate Innate Resistance to Infectious Challenge

Evidence for a Developmental Role for TLR4 in Learning and Memory

First study: TLR4 agonists induce resistance to infectious pathogens
Second study: removing TLR4 RECEPTOR enhances spatial learning and reduces anxiety. BLOCKING tlr4 only reduces anxiety.
Thanks for the edit, first sounded a bit like TLR4 enhanced memory , when its actually its deficiency that enhances memory.

We found that developmental TLR4 deficiency enhances spatial reference memory acquisition and memory retention, impairs contextual fear-learning and enhances motor functions, traits that were correlated with CREB up-regulation in the hippocampus. TLR4 antagonist infusion into the cerebral ventricles of adult mice did not affect cognitive behavior, but instead affected anxiety responses. Our findings indicate a developmental role for TLR4 in shaping spatial reference memory, and fear learning and memory. Moreover, we show that central TLR4 inhibition using a TLR4 antagonist has no discernible physiological role in regulating spatial and contextual hippocampus-dependent cognitive behavior.

lvysaur

sounded a bit like TLR4 enhanced memory , when its actually its deficiency that enhances memory.
Yup, absence of TLR4 improves spatial memory.

But it seems to have a positive role in infectious disease. Also seems that antagonists don't always do what a receptor-absence does.

Mauritio

Yup, absence of TLR4 improves spatial memory.

But it seems to have a positive role in infectious disease. Also seems that antagonists don't always do what a receptor-absence does.
What positive role ? I could imagine it sparking an inflammatory response ,which could also be detrimental if it becomes a chronic inflammatory state...

RWilly

Mother's milk has no iron, and baby formula is fortified with iron. Just what the microbes need.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I don't think blocking a receptor would cause anything but damage in the long term. The right treatment is to stop the cause, not the effect. Same is true with pretty much every condition. Evolution has not given us a TLR4 that only causes negative effects, quite the contrary. If you make the body blind to what it is supposed to sense then the dysregulation will spread to affect more systems.

It is mentioned just to illustrate that endotoxin is the ultimate cause. And since medicine is quite averse to gut sterilization or even weekly antibiotic use, then for people struggling with these issues blocking TLR4 could be beneficial. Blocking estrogen at the receptor level has been shown to be mostly positive, so I would not write off receptor-targeted therapies completely.

rei

I'm not writing it off. I'm saying if you decide to do such you need to understand what the actual effect is. Otherwise you end in such situations as bodybuilders who take estrogen blockers to combat their ridiculous hormone use, and then experience too low estrogen. So not even the nasty estrogen is bad except when in dominance.

Maybe the point is: research as much what the benefit of tlr4 is, don't just look one side of issue and decide to eat blocker because it seems beneficial when looked at in one prespective.

Vinero

I'm not writing it off. I'm saying if you decide to do such you need to understand what the actual effect is. Otherwise you end in such situations as bodybuilders who take estrogen blockers to combat their ridiculous hormone use, and then experience too low estrogen. So not even the nasty estrogen is bad except when in dominance.

Maybe the point is: research as much what the benefit of tlr4 is, don't just look one side of issue and decide to eat blocker because it seems beneficial when looked at in one prespective.
How do you know those side effects that bodybuilders report when using estrogen blockers are actually because of low estrogen? I think those estrogen blockers are themselves toxic substances which have bad side effects. The estrogen lowering substances that Ray Peat recommends such as aspirin, Vitamin E, progesterone etc don't have such toxic side effects and lower estrogen to a healthy low amount.

rei

Because no matter which drug you choose to use to block the gynecomastia the side effects are the same when overdone? Or do you mean all existing drugs are like cousins and can be expected to have same side effect profile outside of blocking estrogen?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals