haidut

Forum Supporter
So much for the safety of sunscreen. Of course, the article immediately goes on the defensive and warns against stopping sunscreen. It even includes gems like "The sun is the real enemy here" and keeps repeating the mantra that it is all about risk-benefits analysis. Yet, even MSM is forced to admit that the several of the ingredients found to absorb after just one day of usage are known endocrine disruptors demonstrated to cause birth defects in children when used by pregnant women, or low testosterone levels in males who use them. What's worse, the levels of sunscreen chemicals in the blood continued to rise days after sunscreen use had ended. This suggests that the chemicals build up in the skin and that "reservoir" can provide a steady supply of toxic endocrine disruptors despite no continuous sunscreen use.
I am amazed that despite all this evidence, the default position of the FDA is that "more studies are needed" instead of mandating the immediate removal of those endocrine disruptors until they are proven safe. This public stance FDA takes is even harder to defend considering those chemicals in sunscreen are known to be toxic to marine life and are banned in some states like Hawaii. On top of that safe options like zinc oxide exist, with the only downside to this option being the (mild) white coating of the skin it causes. I wonder how many of FDA's current top administrators are former sunscreen company executives and/or own stock in such companies...

Effect of Sunscreen Application on Plasma Concentration of Active Ingredients
FDA proposes new sunscreen regulations - CNN
Sunscreen enters bloodstream after just one day of use, study says - CNN

"...It took just one day of use for several common sunscreen ingredients to enter the bloodstream at levels high enough to trigger a government safety investigation, according to a pilot study conducted by the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, an arm of the US Food and Drug Administration.The study, published Monday in the medical journal JAMA, also found that the blood concentration of three of the ingredients continued to rise as daily use continued and then remained in the body for at least 24 hours after sunscreen use ended."

"...The four chemicals studied -- avobenzone, oxybenzone, ecamsule and octocrylene -- are part of a dozen that the FDA recently said needed to be researched by manufacturers before they could be considered "generally regarded as safe and effective."So, should you stop using sunscreen? Absolutely not, experts say."Studies need to be performed to evaluate this finding and determine whether there are true medical implications to absorption of certain ingredients," said Yale School of Medicine dermatologist Dr. David Leffell, a spokesman for the American Academy of Dermatology. He added that in the meantime, people should "continue to be aggressive about sun protection.""The sun is the real enemy here," [haidut: LOL LOL LOL] said Scott Faber, senior vice president for government affairs at the Environmental Working Group, or EWG, an advocacy group that publishes a yearly guide on sunscreens."

"...In 2008, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention analyzed urine samples collected by a government study and found oxybenzone in 97% of the samples. Since then, studies have shown a potential link between oxybenzone and lower testosterone levelsin adolescent boys, hormone changes in men, and shorter pregnancies and disrupted birth weights in babies, but researchers caution about assuming association.Of all of the sunscreen ingredients, oxybenzone isknown to be the most common cause of contact allergies; a 10-year study found that 70% of people had a positive patch test when exposed.A Swiss study found oxybenzone or one of four other sunscreen chemicals in 85% of breast milk samples, sparking concern that newborns could be exposed. And Hawaii, the Pacific nation of Palau and Key West recently banned sunscreens containing oxybenzone and octinoxate because they cause coral bleaching and are dangerous to marine ecosystems."

ShotTrue

Wow that's pretty bad. Good looking out on this one. I avoided sunscreen because it blocks Vitamin D absorption, but it seems you would not a natural sunscreen if you want to use

tankasnowgod

Long ago, I remember seeing this study come out- Indoor Tanning and Risk of Melanoma: A Case-Control Study in a Highly Exposed Population

I actually saw that because of this article by John Durant, where he points out that yes, tanning beds were associated with a higher risk of melanoma, but there were other higher risk factors- Media hysteria on tanning beds and melanoma | Hunter Gatherer

But one of the most interesting things was the association the study found from sunscreen. From Durant's article-

"Mean Lifetime Sunscreen Use

Get this — THE SAME STUDY THAT CONNECTS TANNING BEDS WITH MELANOMA ALSO CONCLUDES THAT HIGHER SUNSCREEN USAGE INCREASES YOUR RISK OF MELANOMA. Medium or High mean lifetime sunscreen usage increases your chances of getting melanoma by about 30%. But somehow "Sunscreen usage causes melanoma" is a less catchy headline than "Tanning beds cause melanoma".

My point is not that there are no risks to tanning beds. My point is that the biggest risk factors for melanoma are NOT tanning bed usage and are NOT sun exposure. It’s having moles. And red hair or blonde hair. And fair skin."

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Long ago, I remember seeing this study come out- Indoor Tanning and Risk of Melanoma: A Case-Control Study in a Highly Exposed Population

I actually saw that because of this article by John Durant, where he points out that yes, tanning beds were associated with a higher risk of melanoma, but there were other higher risk factors- Media hysteria on tanning beds and melanoma | Hunter Gatherer

But one of the most interesting things was the association the study found from sunscreen. From Durant's article-

"Mean Lifetime Sunscreen Use

Get this — THE SAME STUDY THAT CONNECTS TANNING BEDS WITH MELANOMA ALSO CONCLUDES THAT HIGHER SUNSCREEN USAGE INCREASES YOUR RISK OF MELANOMA. Medium or High mean lifetime sunscreen usage increases your chances of getting melanoma by about 30%. But somehow "Sunscreen usage causes melanoma" is a less catchy headline than "Tanning beds cause melanoma".

My point is not that there are no risks to tanning beds. My point is that the biggest risk factors for melanoma are NOT tanning bed usage and are NOT sun exposure. It’s having moles. And red hair or blonde hair. And fair skin."

Melanoma is not really sun-driven. Keep in mind almost all melanomas appear on parts of skin that rarely (if ever) see sunlight. Like bottom of feet, buttocks, armpits, scalp (under thick hair), etc. Sun exposure is only correlated with basal cell carcinoma that almost never kills of even spreads beyound the locally affected spot.
Melanoma is an endocrine cancer, driven by estrogen and PUFA.
Melanoma Is An Endocrine Tumor Like Breast Cancer - Driven By Estrogen

tankasnowgod

Melanoma is not really sun-driven. Keep in mind almost all melanomas appear on parts of skin that rarely (if ever) see sunlight. Like bottom of feet, buttocks, armpits, scalp (under thick hair), etc. Sun exposure is only correlated with basal cell carcinoma that almost never kills of even spreads beyound the locally affected spot.
Melanoma is an endocrine cancer, driven by estrogen and PUFA.
Melanoma Is An Endocrine Tumor Like Breast Cancer - Driven By Estrogen

Oh yeah. Even that same study noted that the people that spent the most time outside had the fewest instances of melanoma. The only sun related marker that was associated with an increased risk was sunburns (not surprising, as that indicates tissue damage).

kyle

I remember as a child getting slathered in that junk and getting horrible skin peeling burns anyway.

Coconut oil works pretty well. Haven't gotten any notable burn in many, many years since stopping any of this junk, soap or and go out midday for hours everyday even without oil and just get a tan going and wrinkles I think are hormonal/stress anyway.

Mostly women spend ridiculous money on creams and products, one to treat redness and dryness, another to cover up your makeup damaged skin, on and on. Then some weird fake tanner product because the sun will cause wrinkles. And all this in pursuit of that "healthy glow." Come on, I sure ain't fooled. Seriously, go out and get a tan like nature intended, the sun is free.

It's the scam of all scams.

It all came together for me when our local big box bookstore shutdown and was replaced by an Ulta. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom