Ending My Long Time Sugar Phobia - Can I Use Typical White Sugar?

lyfe

Hey everybody,

This is my first post and im sorry if this has been asked before. I did some searching but cant find a straight answer. I have been a keto head for quite some time now and have actively avoided sugar for years. I recently decided to experiment with adding sugar to my coffee in the morning. I use 5 teaspoons. I find that it makes me feel calmer and I am to my surprise, finding myself breathing much deeper and better control of my breath after I drink my sugar coffee. I am currently quite poor, don't have a vehicle, and do most of my shopping at walmart which is a short walk from my home. All they have and can afford currently is the Walmart Brand Refined Cane Sugar. It says on the Label " Pure Cane Granulated Sugar " and is 30 calories per serving. Is this okay to use? It says : Ingredients : Sugar. But it also says there is 8g added sugars? What does this mean? Apologies for all the questions! Here is a link to the exact product : https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Pack-Great-Value-Pure-Cane-Sugar-4-lb/698454167

Runenight201

Sugar has roughly 4 calories per gram. 30 calories of sugar ~ 8g. It’s all added sugar because all it is sugar lol

Sugars great. Just don’t go overboard with it and replace all your calories with sugar. Continue to eat intuitively. If your palate feels like it needs sugar, add it. Sugar is great with dairy. Especially yogurts and milk. It also goes well with butter and bread. Soda is often a nice complement with meats.

Hey everybody,

This is my first post and im sorry if this has been asked before. I did some searching but cant find a straight answer. I have been a keto head for quite some time now and have actively avoided sugar for years. I recently decided to experiment with adding sugar to my coffee in the morning. I use 5 teaspoons. I find that it makes me feel calmer and I am to my surprise, finding myself breathing much deeper and better control of my breath after I drink my sugar coffee. I am currently quite poor, don't have a vehicle, and do most of my shopping at walmart which is a short walk from my home. All they have and can afford currently is the Walmart Brand Refined Cane Sugar. It says on the Label " Pure Cane Granulated Sugar " and is 30 calories per serving. Is this okay to use? It says : Ingredients : Sugar. But it also says there is 8g added sugars? What does this mean? Apologies for all the questions! Here is a link to the exact product : https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Pack-Great-Value-Pure-Cane-Sugar-4-lb/698454167
Yeah, white sugar is great. Just make sure to get your minerals, especially potassium and magnesium, as well as b-vitamins, especially B1 and B3. Some hunter-gatherers eat a lot of honey( and meat as well) and seem in good health( lean, energetic, etc.). Honey, although not the same as white sugar, is pretty close to it. The difference is mainly antioxidants and free sugar, which honey has more of. Some people report better effects when they mix water and sugar and then heat them up in a pan until it boils. After it boils for a few seconds, it becomes more similar to honey, because the sugars are free now. If you eat or drink things with good amounts of antioxidants( apples, blueberries, coffee, tea, orange juice, turmeric, etc.), then you can simulate honey, but more cheaply.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

YourUniverse

TBH, no, because white sugar is vitamin and mineral-less and is inferior to fruit for this reason. B-vitamins are especially important. When I eat lots of white sugar, like clockwork, I get trouble breathing (which feels like low CO2, or stress), and within 20 minutes of supplementing niacinamide the feeling goes away.

rei

5 teaspoons sounds like a lot for a coffee. Try 2 teaspoons with some whole milk, it really brings out the sweetness, and reduces the total amount. This smaller amount+milk fat ensures there will be no insulin response and all sugar goes towards maintaining homeostasis.

Runenight201

TBH, no, because white sugar is vitamin and mineral-less and is inferior to fruit for this reason. B-vitamins are especially important. When I eat lots of white sugar, like clockwork, I get trouble breathing (which feels like low CO2, or stress), and within 20 minutes of supplementing niacinamide the feeling goes away.

Even the ripest of fruits don’t match the well-being, euphoria, and joy of life I get from white sugar.

A great combo is sugar + fruit, as in smoothies. That’s a magical elixir of life right there!

tara

Hi,
You probably won't get a single unambiguous answer here because there are many opinions. :)

Peat has said that refined sucrose can sometimes be helpful short term when ripe fruits are not available.
Because it lacks minerals and vitamins etc, it is not ideal as a major part of an ongoing diet.

My current view is that a little refined sugar is probably fine. More than a little depends on what else you are eating, and risks getting out of balance with the minerals and vitamins you need to use it well.

5 tsp/day refined sugar may be fine if you are replete with minerals to begin with, and continue to eat a nutritious diet in other respects.
Mostly good to get most of your carbohydrates in foods that also have of minerals and vitamins. Fruit, roots, veges have varying amounts of potassium, magnesium, calcium, etc, as wel as some vitamins. Liver is also particularly good for B-vits and vit A. B-vits are essential for metabolising carbs.

I actively avoided refined sugar for years too. It was liberating to allow myself to eat what I wanted after that. I think it's worth paying attention to how you feel. There came a time that I noticed I didn't feel so good if I over did the sugar especially too much refined, but too much fruit juice or dried fruit can get me too. I'm getting better at learning what else I need to be eating to keep things in better balance.

Good luck. :)

OP
lyfe

lyfe

Thanks for all the feed back everybody! I have decided to continue with the white sugar, but got my hands on some quality organic coconut sugar as well , and I have some honey too. I will experiment with all of them - and I am going to get some frozen orange juice as well. I appreciate all of your detailed responses.

Cheers :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals