Emotional Stress / Suffering Is Masively Underrated

2 weeks 100mgx2day after 100mgx1 day for 3 months.

Arctic Fire

Do you have reference to that study/article?

RP discusses the animal studies of learned helplessness in interviews (don't recall which ones) and in the following article:
New Page Title Here

I’ve have this notion that humans are the most advanced, complex
form of biological life, but all of our traits,
emotions, behavior, etc... all have their kindling underpinnings in the lower complexity animals.

Yes; Georgi has posted amusing studies on this theme.

We are Life understanding itself...

Nice.

...to the point where ironically it can cause us more harm than good! Hidden behind the veil of our sensory hallucinations is the pure essence of reality, chaotic and immense! Imagine we eventually are able to lift such a veil, and SEE reality as it really is, but what utility would that have? Why would the individual bother trying any longer! Would we not be better off had we never bitten into the apple?

In the examples that occur to me, people who experience transcendent reality become great teachers or artists.** Pick whatever religious or philosophical tradition you like.

**Edit: Wrong, also know of examples who led quiet, contemplative lives after they experienced awakening. But I'm having difficulty thinking of examples who regretted their experience of ultimate reality or lost their sense of purpose as a result.

Last edited:

lampofred

Emotional stress can also massively increase metabolism like a stimulant and that's when great art gets created. I wonder what it is that determines whether emotional stress will go the learned helplessness route or the stressful-yet-pro-metabolism route with increased temperature and fuel consumption.

Runenight201

Emotional stress can also massively increase metabolism like a stimulant and that's when great art gets created. I wonder what it is that determines whether emotional stress will go the learned helplessness route or the stressful-yet-pro-metabolism route with increased temperature and fuel consumption.

Id say psychological imprinting. The individual who had seen hard work and grit pay off and who affirms has affirmed life through whatever ideological means will have a positive response to stress, whereas the individual who has always lost and has thus learned that life is futile will never escape. Or do you think the same individual can have differing responses depending on their physiological state?

lampofred

Id say psychological imprinting. The individual who had seen hard work and grit pay off and who affirms has affirmed life through whatever ideological means will have a positive response to stress, whereas the individual who has always lost and has thus learned that life is futile will never escape. Or do you think the same individual can have differing responses depending on their physiological state?

My guess is that stress will push you further in the direction you are already tending towards. Dr. Peat once said the stress of darkness can accelerate both anabolic and catabolic processes depending on the existing hormonal environment, and I'm guessing the effect of this stress would probably be analogous to that of darkness stress. So an estrogen dominant person who experiences stress is likely to become even more helpless whereas a progesterone dominant person would probably get a stress-driven boost in metabolism.

Runenight201

My guess is that stress will push you further in the direction you are already tending towards. Dr. Peat once said the stress of darkness can accelerate both anabolic and catabolic processes depending on the existing hormonal environment, and I'm guessing the effect of this stress would probably be analogous to that of darkness stress. So an estrogen dominant person who experiences stress is likely to become even more helpless whereas a progesterone dominant person would probably get a stress-driven boost in metabolism.

I can see that. I’ve had thoughts also that the viewpoints people tend to naturally take and the perspective they see life through are influenced by their hormonal states. Someone with a very pro-metabolic, high energy make up will take the optimistic, life affirming lens on everything where as a low energy, hypo person will take a pessimistic, life denying take on everything. I’ve seen myself swing in both directions, which has also led me to wonder how much people are born with and how much comes down to nurture. Once the nature becomes corrupted, can the nurture permanently re-instill hormonal states, can reserves be built up? If I live correctly I know I will continue to affirm and enjoy life, but there’s always that nagging thought of what were to happen should my situation change, due to events outside my control, and I were to be completely stripped from this modern energy abundance....

Ive also noticed how messages of love and compassion, etc... are all much more welcomed by me when I’m in a pro-metabolic state. I can sit in church, fully aware that there may be no omnipotent agent, but nonetheless pray to Him anyways, and feel the warmth and goodness in my heart grow.

Theres a story about Neils Bohr and some Nordic country superstition where hanging a magnet above the door brought good luck, and the skeptical scientist were chastising him for having such a thing. Neils responded with, “Of course, I’m not an idiot, but I was told that it works even if you don’t believe it works!”

This is undoubtedly the power of Christianity to the lost individual. For all the justified criticism of authoritarianism and tyranny as an institution, to the criticism from a psychological standpoint of the mindset of the believer, it provides a universal, always present agent who is the highest embodiment of virtue and love. I see the same sentiments in other practices, where there’s mantras of the individual I is pure love. Those who feel love from this agent are thus permanently protected against any negative life situation. So who has it worse? The deluded or the secular? The one at peace or he who still suffers? Can we have the cake and eat it too?

Jib

I agree completely.

I'll add that perspective is equally important. I currently feel like I'm fighting for my life against suicidal depression because of a complete lack of social connection/love/support, but I'm learning how important perspective is while I'm going through this alone.

Making new connections with people can be very challenging. It's important to maintain hope when you're isolated or broken by lost connections, unexpected deaths, etc. It can feel like time, for you, has completely stopped. The world keeps turning but your world is over.

It's important to have hope for that reason. That there is still a world outside of yourself and somewhere, somehow, there are emotional, personal, human connections that will be available to you if you pursue them. Somehow.

What is especially difficult is when you're stuck in grief, living in the past. That prevents you from seeing any opportunities for connection in the present.

So there's a lack of love/support, and then there's grief over lost love/support, a past connection with someone who's dead now, or moved away, or whatever.

I'm a huge advocate of perspective. However a person can shift it. The power of the mind and consciously directed thought.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals