Emotional Response To Pain Is Driven By Serotonin And Prostaglandins

haidut

Forum Supporter
I posted previously on how serotonin is required for the formation of traumatic memories. This process plays a major role in disorders like depression, PTSD, chronic anxiety and even schizophrenia.
Serotonin Is Involved In The Formation Of Traumatic Memories

This study shows that the activation of the serotonin producing neurons in the brain requires the presence of prostaglandins. Lack of serotonin or lack of prostaglandins prevented the development of emotional response (traumatic memory) to pain. If the multitude of benefits aspirin provides was not enough, now we can add preventing emotional trauma to one of its potential benefits. Other studies have found aspirin to be effective for relieving depression and the proposed mechanism was its anti-inflammatory effect. However, other NSAIDs are largely ineffective for depression, which suggest another mechanism is at play for aspirin. Aspirin was also found to lower plasma serotonin, so this effect combined with its blockade of prostaglandins and the findings of this study provides a much better explanation.

JCI - Prostaglandin-mediated inhibition of serotonin signaling controls the affective component of inflammatory pain
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170313161848.htm
"...Signaling by molecules called prostaglandins plays a key role in the body's response to inflammation. Prostaglandins been linked to the sensory perception of pain, but their role in the emotional response to pain is unclear. This week in the JCI, a study conducted by David Engblom's lab at Linköping University in Sweden has demonstrated that the aversive effects of inflammatory pain are driven by prostaglandin signaling specifically on serotonin-producing neurons in the brainstem. When the researchers selectively blocked prostaglandin synthesis in neurons, mice displayed reduced aversive responses to inflammation-induced pain. Furthermore, mice lacking prostaglandin receptors on serotonin-producing neurons and mice lacking the serotonin transporter also exhibited less pain-avoidance behavior. Prostaglandin signaling in serotonin neurons was not required for aversive responses to high temperatures, suggesting that this pain-aversive signaling pathway is specific to inflammatory pain. These findings suggest that the effects of prostaglandin on serotonin signaling are key drivers of the emotional response to pain, implicating a pathway that may be targeted in future therapeutics for managing pain in chronic inflammatory conditions."

Tarmander

Interesting. Also, a higher IQ is correlated with handling PTSD better and having healthier outcomes. Something about being able to frame situations in broader mental settings.

Regina

I posted previously on how serotonin is required for the formation of traumatic memories. This process plays a major role in disorders like depression, PTSD, chronic anxiety and even schizophrenia.
Serotonin Is Involved In The Formation Of Traumatic Memories

This study shows that the activation of the serotonin producing neurons in the brain requires the presence of prostaglandins. Lack of serotonin or lack of prostaglandins prevented the development of emotional response (traumatic memory) to pain. If the multitude of benefits aspirin provides was not enough, now we can add preventing emotional trauma to one of its potential benefits. Other studies have found aspirin to be effective for relieving depression and the proposed mechanism was its anti-inflammatory effect. However, other NSAIDs are largely ineffective for depression, which suggest another mechanism is at play for aspirin. Aspirin was also found to lower plasma serotonin, so this effect combined with its blockade of prostaglandins and the findings of this study provides a much better explanation.

JCI - Prostaglandin-mediated inhibition of serotonin signaling controls the affective component of inflammatory pain
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170313161848.htm
"...Signaling by molecules called prostaglandins plays a key role in the body's response to inflammation. Prostaglandins been linked to the sensory perception of pain, but their role in the emotional response to pain is unclear. This week in the JCI, a study conducted by David Engblom's lab at Linköping University in Sweden has demonstrated that the aversive effects of inflammatory pain are driven by prostaglandin signaling specifically on serotonin-producing neurons in the brainstem. When the researchers selectively blocked prostaglandin synthesis in neurons, mice displayed reduced aversive responses to inflammation-induced pain. Furthermore, mice lacking prostaglandin receptors on serotonin-producing neurons and mice lacking the serotonin transporter also exhibited less pain-avoidance behavior. Prostaglandin signaling in serotonin neurons was not required for aversive responses to high temperatures, suggesting that this pain-aversive signaling pathway is specific to inflammatory pain. These findings suggest that the effects of prostaglandin on serotonin signaling are key drivers of the emotional response to pain, implicating a pathway that may be targeted in future therapeutics for managing pain in chronic inflammatory conditions."
It is a good a follow-on to your post about angry parents and existential crisis. Do you think even in psychopathy, really evil sadistic people and serial killers, people who totally missed (were abused/neglected during) critical bonding period (first 3 years of life) can be "cured" of these desires? Psychiatry says narcissistic psychopaths can not be cured. Buddhism says all sentients being have Buddha Nature. Can their empathy be recovered?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
It is a good a follow-on to your post about angry parents and existential crisis. Do you think even in psychopathy, really evil sadistic people and serial killers, people who totally missed (were abused/neglected during) critical bonding period (first 3 years of life) can be "cured" of these desires? Psychiatry says narcissistic psychopaths can not be cured. Buddhism says all sentients being have Buddha Nature. Can their empathy be recovered?

Nothing is irreversible. Google for "LSD crime reduction" or "lithium prisoners". The studies go back to the 1950s. Whoever says a psychiatric disorder cannot be cured/reversed should not be allowed to practice medicine.

Constatine

:D I'm switching my pepper spray to LSD spray.
O My God :hilarious:

Nothing is irreversible. Google for "LSD crime reduction" or "lithium prisoners". The studies go back to the 1950s. Whoever says a psychiatric disorder cannot be cured/reversed should not be allowed to practice medicine.
Imagine how much better the world would be if prisons utilized health based cures for inmates.

Parsifal

Yeah and you have psychopaths like Charles Manson that took LSD but did not change much his behavior...

REOSIRENS

Interesting. Also, a higher IQ is correlated with handling PTSD better and having healthier outcomes. Something about being able to frame situations in broader mental settings.
There is a fascinating amino acid with not so many studies that really amazes me... Beta alanine... It is being advocated as one tool to fight PTSD...And time ago when I tried this amino acid it seemed to unlock my frontal lobe and I seemed to handle stress with such ease... Working and studying was dealt without stressful reactions even in the tightest schedule

Peatogenic

Most people have an emotional response to pain, lol. That's not something to cure. But joke aside, is the implication here that the *disturbance* of the traumatic memory (I guess that's why the word "traumatic" is being used here....its a murky word) can be resolved by serotonin reduction? If that's the implication, can the disturbance of the emotional memory be reduced after the fact?

We’ve seen a single dose of propranolol can de-trigger pain and once someone’s had a good night sleep, the next day they can experience a traumatic memory without feeling trauma anymore.

Remarkable.

Peatogenic

We’ve seen a single dose of propranolol can de-trigger pain and once someone’s had a good night sleep, the next day they can experience a traumatic memory without feeling trauma anymore.

Remarkable.

I actually found this post after being unable to connect with my traumatic memories "flashing back" today after a really good nap following a meal of shrimp and parsnips. I believe I've been in an elevated serotonin state for past two days, because I've been super emotional. I wondered about misattribution of arousal as well.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals