Emma's Log

Emstar1892

Hello!

It's been months since I was last here. I thought, given where I am in my journey, I'd start a log :) to those who don't know me:

Weight: ~56kg
Height: 5ft6
TSH: ~2
Ft4: 12.0 (12.0-22)
Ft3: 3.1 (3.1-6.8)
Relevant bloods: abnormally low lymphocytes, abnormally high b12

OP
E

Emstar1892

To start things off with a little background: I took heaps of contraceptives and antibiotics for 4 years. Then stopped.

Since then, and for the last 5-6 years, I've had terrible carbohydrate metabolism, and for the last year, terrible hypothyroid symptoms. I followed the peat principles which I still agree with to an extent, but my body never changed. I developed insulin resistance, hypoglycemia and pcos.

For the last 6 months ive been questioning why following peats principles made absolutely no difference, and i now suspect that it isn't my thyroid that's the problem, but something deeper.

I went for a TRH test (which involves an injection of trh, usually produced by the pituitary, to over-stimulate the thyroid in order to see how it responds over the course of an hour.) Results were as follows:

TSH at baseline: 1.56
FT4: 12 (12-22)
FT3: 3.1 (3.1-6.8)

TSH at 20 min post TRH: 10.1

TSH at 60 min post TRH: 15.7

I also suffered a debilitating migraine immediately afterwards, which lasted 3 days, as well as blurred vision, confusion and loss of balance.

Conclusion: delayed response and continued increase after 20 minutes. Indicative of hypothalmic dysfunction.

Last edited:
OP
E

Emstar1892

The TRH conclusion, if correct, would explain why dietary principles didn't make my thyroid (nor symptoms) improve. And, would explain why raising carbs made things a LOT worse.

I'm now beginning to wonder if my problem is endocrine-specific at all. As in my original post, b-12 is high, which is a sign of infection. Lymphocytes are low, which is also a sign of infection. I also have signs of anaemia. My current theory is that I have nothing wrong with my thyroid nor hypothalamus at all, but that i have been infected with something. My theory: late stage lyme disease, most likely following a trip to costa rica some years back. Got the bullseye rash at the time, never treated.

I don't know what to do. I'm trying to eat 'clean' and raw, (not low fat) and have started supplementing with 35mg Nature Thyroid (which I'll increase every few weeks), co-q10, niacinimide, enzymes, magnesium, glycine, d3 and k2.

Any suggestions?

Drareg

Before Peat I went to the doctor they found a bacterial pneumonia infection, it didn't solve much by clearing,I know now it's was probably a symptom of low metabolic function.
Methylene blue is good for infections if that's what you suspect.

Your migraine and other symptoms point to serotonin being high.
Your estrogen from contraception is probably high and possibly in your tissue at this stage,vitamin E might help here.
If you have k2 (mk4) you won't need co enzyme q10, Peat reckons k2 is better.
Peat doesn't recommend enzymes,fixing metabolism should get most enzymes going.

Make sure your calories are spot on as with protein, if you have a carb issue maybe try eating small amounts when hungry and letting it digest and seeing if you need more, every 2-3 hours.

I'm not sure why your B12 is high but carrot salad with its carotene might assist in bring it down.

mouse

Hello!

It's been months since I was last here. I thought, given where I am in my journey, I'd start a log :) to those who don't know me:

Weight: ~56kg
Height: 5ft6
TSH: ~2
Ft4: 12.0 (12.0-22)
Ft3: 3.1 (3.1-6.8)
Relevant bloods: abnormally low lymphocytes, abnormally high b12

Did you find a solution for your low lymphocytes? (When you say low, how low?)

Abnormally high B12 without supplementation means a higher likelihood of being diagnosed with hemotological cancer in the future. This isn't relevant to your situation but lymphocytes < 1.0 significantly raises relapse rates in diffuse large b-cell lymphomas. I am dealing with this in my family, hence my interest in increasing lymphocytes.