EM Radiation From Headphones - Demonstration

jyb

Air tube headsets are readily available, about same price as a quality brand regular buds.

Dan W

It also intensifies with volume, and the guy set it pretty high.
I wonder if this caused the magnitude of the levels. I used a Trifield on some cheapo Logitech USB headphones with a normal volume level, and got nothing on the meter.

Dan W

I've decided not to worry about gadgetey type output: if you compare all the levels I found, it seems like gadgets (or at least *my* gadgets) are pretty innocuous.

Although my testing approach was just "hold a Trifield up to the thing", which I'm sure is flawed. I'm pretty ignorant on the EMF stuff, I just wanted to make sure there were no off-the-charts sources.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

I've decided not to worry about gadgetey type output: if you compare all the levels I found, it seems like gadgets (or at least *my* gadgets) are pretty innocuous.

Although my testing approach was just "hold a Trifield up to the thing", which I'm sure is flawed. I'm pretty ignorant on the EMF stuff, I just wanted to make sure there were no off-the-charts sources.
Indeed, but Rayzord mentioned it's particularly concerning when they're close to the head. This is the case with headphones and there's also the length of exposure. I ***t my pants I bit from this issue, but that's why I use diapers.
It didn't emit anything at all for some time?

Last edited:

x-ray peat

It also intensifies with volume, and the guy set it pretty high.
I wonder if this caused the magnitude of the levels. I used a Trifield on some cheapo Logitech USB headphones with a normal volume level, and got nothing on the meter.

I too tested my headphones with my tri-field and at normal volumes the needle doesnt really move that much above background. If you crank the volume up like he does in the video, so you can hear it a couple of feet away, the needle will move. The key thing to notice is that when he tests the air-tube ones at the end you cant hear the music at all.
conclusion -- everybody's got something to sell. (except me and my monkey)

Last edited:

Sucrates

I too tested my headphones with my tri-field and at normal volumes the needle doesnt really move that much above background. If you crank the volume up like he does in the video, so you can hear it a couple of feet away, the needle will move. The key thing to notice is that when he tests the air-tube ones at the end you cant hear the music at all.

How much for the monkey?

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Do you think that the hollow ones are worthless?

x-ray peat

How much for the monkey?
lol, he's not for sale either

Do you think that the hollow ones are worthless?
I dont know. If you listen to your music loudly I guess it would be useful. Also I remember reading that a normal earbud used to speak on a cell phone can transmit the emf from the phone to your ear. But then again it could have been written by this same guy.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

lol, he's not for sale either

I dont know. If you listen to your music loudly I guess it would be. Also I remember reading that a normal earbud used to speak on a cell phone can transmit the emf from the phone to your ear. But then again it could have been written by this same guy.
Speaking of monkey, what if you had the option to choose between a hollow one, a normal one, and a banana?

jyb

That is awesome work to share. However I don't think your device is for high frequency signals - so your readings for WIFI and phones are low but that's just because your device isn't meant to measure them.

Last edited:

jyb

The free apps for EMF exposure seem more relevant. I just played with a few and I got "medium" exposure rating throughout my house (no difference if my own WIFI is on or off) and "high" when I went close to my WIFI router. That's quite worrying - it means neighbours routers give me same level of exposure as mine in the same room: there is no way to escape in most rooms!

Sucrates

The free apps for EMF exposure seem more relevant. I just played with a few and I got "medium" exposure rating throughout my house (no difference if my own WIFI is on or off) and "high" when I went close to my WIFI router. That's quite worrying - it means neighbours routers give me same level of exposure as mine in the same room: there is no way to escape in most rooms!

I have foam insulation in the walls. That blocks phone and wifi signal. Wifi will still come through the door. I have 2 thin sheets of sound deadening material nailed onto some wood to put over the doors to block noise, it also blocks wifi coming through the doors.

jyb

I have foam insulation in the walls. That blocks phone and wifi signal. Wifi will still come through the door. I have 2 thin sheets of sound deadening material nailed onto some wood to put over the doors to block noise, it also blocks wifi coming through the doors.

Did you insulate just walls or do you need roof too? I wonder how much it costs on average to insulate a room (size: bedroom or living room, not a small room), and whether you really need to cover everything (seems like you did by including the door) to get most of the exposure reduction.

x-ray peat

jyb

On that note, anyone put some thought into good habits for shielding from mobile phones? I don't mind switching the airplaine mode on when I'm in transports and carrying the phone near me (in a pocket), but I reckon that switching it off results in a surge and that's the harmful bit to avoid. During the day my phone sits a feet away from me on my desk.

They sell ferrite cores to stick around your cables

By the way, the trifield EMF setting is single axis so you get a different reading depending how it's facing the source