Elevator pitch for Methylene Blue.

Sam321

Could someone (@haidut) give me an elevator pitch for Methylene Blue?

What its good for. What it's uses are. Testimonials, etc. I'm seeing alot of scattered info about it and am interested in it.

B

Blaze

What its good for. What it's uses are. Testimonials, etc. I'm seeing alot of scattered info about it and am interested in it.

Methylene Blue is a textile dye and was one of the first medicines against malaria and treats methemoglobinemia a condition where the iron in the blood turns into FE3 and makes oxygen unavailable and causes cyanosis . Meth Blue restores it to FE2 and that fixes the issue. I have read some scientific papers that states that even though Meth Blue is the best known cure for methemoglobinemia , in very high doses it can actually do the reverse and cause methemoglobinemia.

Also useful for staining live tissue sample cells in lab research (mostly high metabolic cells which uptake it faster)

Potent anti parasitic and anti microbial...especially when used with light therapy.

Works by increasing ATP production efficiency in those who have some disfunction by completing the electron transport chain process using alternate method.

It is theorized that it can aid in all types of metabolic issues and perhaps even assist with cancer since according to Otto Warburg cancer is a metabolic / energy production problem.

Being promoted lately as the best nootropic supplement which makes sense since the brain is one of the most metabolically active tissues exceeded only by the kidneys which are your bodies most active tissue.

Listening to many who have commented here in the past ----Seems like smaller doses have the most beneficial effect ...............

Many here have used Kordon which is a fish tank treatment. I use a usp grade Methylene Blue and don't recommend the Kordon for human consumption. In smaller doses (2-3 drops) it certainly helps with energy and mental clarity from my personal experience.

Boring reference stuff below if you like that sort of thing.

1. Methemoglobinemia is a life threatening condition that can be congenital or acquired. It is characterized by the inability of hemoglobin to carry oxygen because the ferrous part of the heme molecule has been oxidized to a ferric state.

Methylene Blue acts by reacting within RBC to form leukomethylene blue, which is a reducing agent of oxidized hemoglobin converting the ferric ion (fe+++) back to its oxygen carrying ferrous state(fe++).
Dose commonly used is 1-2mg/kg of 1% Methylene Blue solution.

2. Recent research suggests that Methylene Blue and other redox cyclers induce selective cancer cell apoptosis by NAD (P) H: quinine oxidoreductase (NQO1)-dependent bioreductive generation of cellular oxidative stress. Hence Methylene Blue is being investigated for the photodynamic treatment of cancer

3. Another, less well known use of Methylene Blue is its utility for treating ifosfamide neurotoxicity. A toxic metabolite of ifosfamide, chloroacetaldehyde, disrupts the mitochondrial respiratory chain, leading to accumulation of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide hydrogen (NADH).

Methylene blue acts as an alternative electron acceptor, and reverses the NADH inhibition of hepatic gluconeogenesis while also inhibiting the transformation of chloroethylamine into Chloroacetaldehyde, and also inhibits multiple amine oxidase activities, preventing the formation of Chloroacetaldehyde.

4. The relationship between Methylene blue and Alzheimer's disease has recently attracted increasing scientific attention. It has been shown to attenuate the formations of amyloid plaques and neurofibrillary tangles and partial repair of impairments in mitochondrial function and cellular metabolism.

5. Methylene blue infusion was found as a safe and effective method of localizing abnormal parathyroid glands.

Methylene blue has also been used for intraoperative endoscopic marking of intestinal lumen for location of lesions.

Methylene blue was also found as an effective and cheap alternative to isosulfan blue dye for sentinel lymph node localization in pt with breast cancer.

Methylene blue also has been used in diagnostic microbiology as a stain. It is an inexpensive and rapid method for detection of H.pylori.

6. Photodynamic therapy using the light activated anti-microbial agent, Methylene blue kills methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in superficial and deep excisional wounds. Methylene blue in combination with light also inactivates viral nucleic acid of hepatitis-C and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV-1) and treats cases of resistant plaque psoriasis.

Adverse effects: Methylene blue is a safe drug when used in therapeutic doses (<2mg/kg).But it can cause toxicity in high doses. The features of toxicity being cardiac arrhythmias, coronary vasoconstriction, decreased cardiac output, renal blood flow and mesenteric blood flow; increased pulmonary vascular pressure & pulmonary vascular resistance and gas exchange deterioration. It also turns urine greenish blue and bluish discoloration of skin and mucosa which is self limiting.

Due to its tissue reactive properties, a case of skin and fat necrosis followed by a dry gangrene of the skin in a female patient with breast cancer who underwent sentinel lymph node biopsy localization using peri-tumoral injection of Methylene blue dye has been reported.

It can also cause hemolytic anemia characterized by Heinz body formation especially in pts with severe renal insufficiency and glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency.

Neonates are particularly prone to adverse effects of Methylene blue. It causes hyperbilirubinemia, meth-Hemoglobin formation, hemolytic anemia, respiratory distress, pulmonary edema, photo toxicity and bluish discoloration of tracheal secretions and urine.

Methylene Blue also interferes with the pulse oximeter's light emission resulting in falsely depressed oxygen saturation reading.

Methylene blue due to its monoamine oxidase(MAO) inhibiting property may precipitate potentially fatal serotonin toxicity at doses >5mg/kg42 and rarely can cause severe anaphylactic shock.43

Last edited by a moderator:

Ash

I once had a small spot on the back of my hand that would not heal for several months and I suspected it was skin cancer. Then I put a drop of MB on it every day for 5 days until it was completely healed and the wound never returned.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals