Elevated Vit B12, Liver Enzymes

allblues

Hey folks

I was curious if anyone has researched not the vegan scourge of low vit b12, but instead high b12 levels and possible implications?

I vaguely remember Ray saying something about elevated b12 levels possibly indicating bacterial overgrowth,
internet sources seem to say that elevated b12 levels can indicate other problems like liver/blood issues
Significance of elevated cobalamin (vitamin B12) levels in blood. - PubMed - NCBI

I got labs recently which came back with high b12, 501 pmol/L (100-450)
Also, two elevated liver enzyme readings, ASAT 4.06 µkat/L (< 0.76), ALAT 1.36 µkat/L (< 1.2)

On a positive note my t3 was slightly above reference range, which wasn't the case 1 year ago, last time i got labs.
Waiting to get results on prolactin reading to see if things are going in the right direction.

Any input is appreciated,

Peaterpeater

I am also interested in knowing what causes elevated B12 when not supplementing. The internet says that it may indicate liver disease. I'd like to know what Dr. Peat might say or anyone else on this forum that may have some insight.

Dante

Hey folks

I was curious if anyone has researched not the vegan scourge of low vit b12, but instead high b12 levels and possible implications?

I vaguely remember Ray saying something about elevated b12 levels possibly indicating bacterial overgrowth,
internet sources seem to say that elevated b12 levels can indicate other problems like liver/blood issues
Significance of elevated cobalamin (vitamin B12) levels in blood. - PubMed - NCBI

Also, two elevated liver enzyme readings, ASAT 4.06 µkat/L (< 0.76), ALAT 1.36 µkat/L (< 1.2)

On a positive note my t3 was slightly above reference range, which wasn't the case 1 year ago, last time i got labs.
Waiting to get results on prolactin reading to see if things are going in the right direction.

Hey man , have you gone to a Doc , a gastro may be ? You are right about elevated b12 being high in liver diseases as a liver stores ton of vit b12 and what we see in serum is not the total actual vit b12 storage. Some people who have MTHFR issues also complain about high vit B12 despite being vegan. As for being bacterial overgrowth causing elevated vit B12, i have heard the opposite. A gastro MD once told me that SIBO will actually cause low endogenous absorption of vit B12 over time and hence can cause deficiency. May be the doc might order an utlrasound.

OP
allblues

allblues

Hey man, no i haven't seen a gastro, i've had digestive issues in the past but lately i haven't been bothered by my stomach.
Yeah you could be right about the bacterial thing, i'll try to find the Ray clip and see what he actually said.

I found today that the b12 upper limit from my first time taking labs was set differently from my last time, which showed elevation.
Very odd, the units haven't changed but my last test says b12 should be below 500 whateverunits. Last time it said 800.

Anyway, doc reordered the b12 and liver enzymes, i'll wait for those to get done.

papaya

Hey folks

what supps do you take? i tested high also & i don't supp b12 either. at the time i was the only supps i was taking iodine(so the high bacteria wouldn't make sense) daily & 2gr thiroyd. it scared me because i read that high b12 can indicate cancer. the high liver was odd also because i don't & never have drank alcohol.

OP
allblues

allblues

I've been taking moderate-high niacinamide for a while, about < 1g/day, usually way less like 150-300 mg.
I've seen the posts on the forum regarding high dose NAM and elevated liver enzymes etc, but i'm not sure it's that.

Beside that i take pregnenolone, about 100-200 mg/day, those are my staples. A dose of pansterone every other day or so.
Some K2, D3, nothing too big.

Around the time the test was taken i was hitting the sodium bicarbonate pretty hard too.

Rad

Hi all,

My B12 is constantly at the high end of the range, well just off the uk nhs value. It was roughly 530 pmol/L when I converted it the other day. However, I've seen ranges upto 1000 with some labs and many people reporting high b12 are well above 1000 so I don't feel exceptionally high.

I've come across enough people reporting high b12 with high MCH to wonder what, if any, connection there is.

Mine has been high for years. I grabbed all the results I could from my doctor, going back to 2009 and b12 was off range then and has remained up. No b12 supplementation until last year and then that was adb12, which created a lot of brightening of my consciousness and some extra energy mentally. This was rarely move than a few days in a row so nothing extended or likely to raise levels wildly. I have no diagnosis but symptomatically have chronic fatigue syndrome/M.E.

I just found this in my bookmarks.

Markedly Increased Vitamin B12 Concentrations Attributable to IgG–IgM–Vitamin B12 Immune Complexes

and I'm too tired to read but I just found this. Did a little skim but the eyes aren't focusing properly.

The pathophysiology of elevated vitamin B12 in clinical practice

I'll have to get round to reading it one day.

Elevated Vitamin B12 level

Last edited:

Rad

I ended up connecting my high b12 to my red meat consumption after my partner had to eat more red meat that she likes and developed the same condition. Then I advised my mum to up her red meat and she developed high b12. So simple.

dreamcatcher

Hey folks

The same happened to me on the Ray Peat diet and he told me the same.. bacterial overgrowth.
However, one of the symptoms of EFA deficiency is elevated liver function test. Interestingly, my ALT levels are a bit higher than the highest normal range.
I know that Ray Peat doesn't believe in EFA deficiency but despite my nutrient dense diet, the only time my ALT level dropped to mid normal levels (and B12 dropped by 70%) was when I decided to follow more of Chris Masterjohn's lifestyle and incorporated some nuts and more unsaturated fats in my diet.
Borage seed oil might help.

davvid_1

Hi @allblues , was wondering if you have any updates?

Made any discoveries with regards to elevated b12 and liver enzymes?
im in a similar position with higher b12, tiredness and hair shedding, but no stomach symptoms, .

cheers