Elevated Liver Enzymes, Gene Mutation And Hypothyroid

Iron Man

According to recent lab work and a visit to the Doc, it appears that I have a genetic Haemochromotosis mutation ( C282Y - Heterozygous mutation detected ).
The Doc and lab results are also saying things like - Hyperlipidaemia, Hyperferritinaemia, Borderline low testosterone and Hypertriglyceridaemia.
I also suspect I am hypothyroid with low resting body temps and low resting heart rate. Temps are below 98 and my heart rate is between 75-80 bpm.

My hair is thinning and I am convinced somewhere in all of this is the cause...

I am an avid veteran weightlifter, but have taken months off and am just starting back into it now. I feel that my eagerness to hit the weights had worn out my adrenals and maybe crashed my CNS. I am taking things at a much slower pace now.

For the last few months, I have really been cutting calories in order to trim up and get leaner. I have been reading up on this and according to Peat, dieting can also be harsh. Not quite sure what to do here. I did the IF thing and then read this was really bad. I would like to lose another 5lbs though. Does anyone know what is a good caloric range for a male in his early 40's? Food wise, I really watch what I eat and the foods are quite natural. I just need to eat a bit more fruit and I think I will have a really good balance.

Last year I started donating blood and this dropped my ferritin levels in half. They now seem to be about average or even a bit lower. My AST and ALT are high though. My calculated FTe is really low. Some of this I just do not even understand...

With the thyroid, some NDT with selenium and iodine. I read a lot about T3 and T4 etc, but this is so very confusing and I don't know if I can even source this stuff?

Red light / infrared light - I am really keen to try this. Really keen. I spent some time this week researching this and was hoping to purchase an LED bulb that I could just screw into a household lamp, but then I could not seem to find what type was best. I read that I need something with a wave length of 650 Nm. I think this will be best for hair and thyroid? What can I purchase though?

In some of the researching, it was suggested that I should megadose (10g) vitamin C each day for a week to help my iron and liver. Apparently the old school of thought was no vitamin C, but now some research is coming out where mega dosing can help?

I hope this post will generate a bit of discussion that will help me in the right direction. With researching, I tend to get bogged down and confused. Sometimes I feel like a dog chasing my tail. Thanks in advance!

Sucrates

Your caloric needs depend on your metabolism. If it’s low then sometimes you need to over eat a little to fix it (lots of “peaters” overdo this). Probably average lean male needs 2600-3,000kcal, but this varies wildly. I needed >4,000kcal to maintain 185lbs at one point, now I need about 2,800. I’d cut fat calories first, though you might need 30-50g to keep good gut function. Expect to gain weight if anything from increases in stored glycogen, measure fat by other means.

I’d be careful with vit C. In itself it might have many benefits, in reality, in the gut and with excipients and trace byproducts it might be a different story. It’s well known for it’s ability for inducing diarrhea and irritating tie GI system is the worst thing you could do for liver issues, they’re often due to endotoxin from increased gut permeability. I think C increases iron absorption too. Caffeine and aspirin decrease iron absorption, tetracyclines and a few other things mentioned on this forum can remove iron.

Redlightman has the only reasonably priced devices I’ve seen that give power output measures. I have one, I’ve tested it, and my meter gave very similar readings to those advertised. If you want to buy a cheaper E27 LED bulb include the price of a solar meter if you want to know how you’re dosing, or find one someone else has measured. I’ve measured a few on my site and some people have given other data on the LLLT facebook group.

OP
I

Iron Man

Your caloric needs depend on your metabolism. If it’s low then sometimes you need to over eat a little to fix it (lots of “peaters” overdo this). Probably average lean male needs 2600-3,000kcal, but this varies wildly. I needed >4,000kcal to maintain 185lbs at one point, now I need about 2,800. I’d cut fat calories first, though you might need 30-50g to keep good gut function. Expect to gain weight if anything from increases in stored glycogen, measure fat by other means.

I’d be careful with vit C. In itself it might have many benefits, in reality, in the gut and with excipients and trace byproducts it might be a different story. It’s well known for it’s ability for inducing diarrhea and irritating tie GI system is the worst thing you could do for liver issues, they’re often due to endotoxin from increased gut permeability. I think C increases iron absorption too. Caffeine and aspirin decrease iron absorption, tetracyclines and a few other things mentioned on this forum can remove iron.

Redlightman has the only reasonably priced devices I’ve seen that give power output measures. I have one, I’ve tested it, and my meter gave very similar readings to those advertised. If you want to buy a cheaper E27 LED bulb include the price of a solar meter if you want to know how you’re dosing, or find one someone else has measured. I’ve measured a few on my site and some people have given other data on the LLLT facebook group.

Thanks for your thoughts @Sucrates . Much appreciated.

Diet - I really dropped my caloric intake right down (probably crazy low at times). I tend to alternate days with low calories and higher calories. I also tend to alternate carb and protein days. I was up around 222lbs with about 22% body fat. I want to get body fat down to about 14%. I want this for health and well being. 3,000 calories seems quite high for me and I think I would start adding on the pounds again. I have lost a bunch of body fat and I feel so much better. My goal with diet was to nail it, lose the weight I wanted and then get things balanced again. I would love to know what your daily diet looks like, so I can compare.

Vitamin C - I hear you... The advice was to just trial megadosing for a week. With iron accumulation, I think if you take it away from food then it is ok?

Redlight Therapy - I am so confused on this... I have researched that wave lengths of 650Nm are best for thyroid and hair etc. In your previous comment, are you saying that a regular household light bulb will suffice? I thought it had to be specifically red light?

Sucrates

With vit C it's the effect it has on the gut that is potentially problematic, that's going to be different with different people, types of supplements etc. I think you're right regarding timing, food, and iron absorption.

There are optimal peaks in terms of cellular energy effects for red and near infrared light. I think it's 620, 680, 760, and 810. If you google Tina Karu with some relevant terms you'll find the papers on that. Other wavelengths around that region are also effective, just less to. The higher the wavelength, the deeper the penetration. So 100mW of near infrared might penetrate the thyroid sufficiently, whereas red might not. I think most of the data on thyroid is with infrared. I use both on my thyroid. I have some podcasts and articles on red light Content Guide | Resonant FM , the information on www.redlightman.com is well laid out too, as are the articles on valtsus site. For specific purposes like thyroid I would use a LED or LASER. It's not impossible that a normal incandescent light could work.

Sucrates

3ImMzQc.png

SFP8m7D.png

Most days supplement with K2 and magnesium. I'll eat +500kcals on top when I train. I tend to rotate the foods their mainly on a macro basis, i.e. + parmigianno -ice cream etc.

For the last few months, I have really been cutting calories in order to trim up and get leaner. I have been reading up on this and according to Peat, dieting can also be harsh. Not quite sure what to do here. I did the IF thing and then read this was really bad. I would like to lose another 5lbs though. Does anyone know what is a good caloric range for a male in his early 40's? Food wise, I really watch what I eat and the foods are quite natural. I just need to eat a bit more fruit and I think I will have a really good balance.

I wouldn't cut calories unless you're not hungry. That is, always eat as much as you desire, but never stuff yourself to the point of serious discomfort. Some here will say I'm full of ***t, but many people are just impatient with this approach.

You might put on a few pounds in the short run while your hormones get back in gear. Peaty principles and a low stress lifestyle will set you up to lose lots of fat in the long run, though. Listen to your body always.

Last edited:
OP
I

Iron Man

@Sucrates - Thanks! I really need to sit down and really track my calories to get a better idea.
Currently... I tend to alternate with breakfast. One day could be bacon and eggs with OJ and one day could be oats/apple/Greek yogurt/raisins with OJ. I used to have morning snack of cottage cheese, but now I tend to skip snacks and have been having the cottage cheese/tomato/fruit with water for lunch. Dinners are usually stirfrys, roasts, steak and vegetables... Before bed I consume a glass of milk with taurine and glycine.
By the way... What was that program you were using to track your calories?

Last edited:
OP
I

Iron Man

I wouldn't cut calories unless you're not hungry. That is, always eat as much as you desire, but never stuff yourself to the point of serious discomfort. Some here will say I'm full of ***t, but many people are just impatient with this approach.

You might put on a few pounds in the short run while your hormones get back in gear. Peaty principles and a low stress lifestyle will set you up to lose lots of fat in the long run, though. Listen to your body always.

I try to do this... I feel that everything came to a head for me and I just needed to drop some weight. I feel so much better after dropping the weight I did. I will wait a while before I get more blood work done, but it will be interesting to see if any of those numbers are improving. I feel so much better now and would just like to lose another 5 more pounds. It feels like I was being slammed with low testosterone, higher estrogen and signs of hypothyroid all at once.

OP
I

Iron Man

I have read up on cypro and am planning to order some in tablet form, then crush 1mg and use topically. I am convinced I have inflammation and feel giving this a shot is worth while.

Can anyone recommend anything for elevated liver enzymes?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals