Elemental Zinc

hello guys, im new here . i have a question about zinc supplements: daily recomended dosage of zinc is reffer to elemental zinc right ? i take daily 100mg of zinc gluconate. that means: Zinc gluconate is approximately 13% zinc by weight. For a dose of 50mg elemental zinc, take 385 mg zinc gluconate.
  • Zinc sulfate is approximately 22% zinc by weight. For a dose of 50mg elemental zinc, take 220 mg zinc sulfate.

• Zinc gluconate is approximately 13% zinc by weight. For a dose of 50mg elemental zinc, take 385 mg zinc gluconate.

• Zinc monomethionine is approximately 21% zinc by weight. For a dose of 50mg elemental zinc, take 238 mg zinc monomethionine.

paymanz

Yes elemental zinc is matters, and 15-30 mg a day seems to be ideal dose.

I don't think 50 mg a day for maintenance/long term supplementation is good idea.its a bit too much.

squanch

I agree with paymanz.

I know a lot of people recommend zinc gluconate here. I personally never really felt any noticeable effect from any other form than zinc picolinate though.
Most other forms just don't get absorbed properly in my experience.

OP
TheSpartan1987
I agree with paymanz.

I know a lot of people recommend zinc gluconate here. I personally never really felt any noticeable effect from any other form than zinc picolinate though.
Most other forms just don't get absorbed properly in my experience.
yes i use zinc gluconate absobed bery poor... and you need 100mg gluconate to reach 12mg elemental zinc. From today i try and use zinc picolinate 100mg its around 30mg of elemental zinc right ?
guys. thanx a lot for reply. :)
i used multivits for years , copper 2mg, zinc only 12mg, but zinc gluconate that mean 1.5mg zinc elemental on it... and multivits have iron too so that little zinc had no chance to absorb i think.. i used for years!!!! now i have adrenal fatigue and some hair loss too... i think its from deficient. sorry for my bad english.

OP
TheSpartan1987
that's because zinc picolinate is the body preferred form

It's irrelevant if one form has a higher absorption than another.

Absorption is irrelevant - Yes, really.

https://www.healingedge.net/pdf/zinc_picolinate_plus.pdf

What's A Picolinate? - Picolinic acid is the body's prime natural chelator.
wow amazing articol. i take a screenshot to read anytime when i have question about zinc supplementation.
i think my estrogen raises i have a little belly and chest fat... not much, but i think its from low zinc.
thank you again guys.
so i use from now zinc picolinate... what dosage do you prefer ? 150mg ? or just 100mg.

johnwester130

wow amazing articol. i take a screenshot to read anytime when i have question about zinc supplementation.
i think my estrogen raises i have a little belly and chest fat... not much, but i think its from low zinc.
thank you again guys.
so i use from now zinc picolinate... what dosage do you prefer ? 150mg ? or just 100mg.

why so much ? 5 mg or 10mg is fine

OP
TheSpartan1987
what about copper... i think no need to take supplement, enough from food, almonds... oats and stuffs... i eat clear so i think dont need to supplement with copper for 15-20mg elemental zinc...

paymanz

what about copper... i think no need to take supplement, enough from food, almonds... oats and stuffs... i eat clear so i think dont need to supplement with copper for 15-20mg elemental zinc...
Nuts are not peaty,they are high pufa.

For copper beef liver and cocoa are best sources.

Mito

Chris Masterjohn just did a podcast on zinc. Here is a link https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2017/03/04/manage-zinc-status/#supplements. He doesn't like zinc picolinate because he claims the evidence suggests it quickly gets excreted in the urine.

The best-studied forms of zinc are gluconate, acetate, sulfate, and citrate. All of these have excellent absorption. Zinc picolinate and zinc oxide are not as reliable. Other forms have not been studied as well, but methionine chelates are probably very bioavailable. I recommend using supplements that come in 10-20 mg per serving. Doses of 25-30 mg are probably safe on the background of a diet rich in copper and other minerals, but unnecessary. Doses of 50 mg can cause nausea when taken on an empty stomach, are rarely needed, are likely to exceed the capacity to absorb zinc by a large degree, and likely to induce a copper deficiency.

OP
TheSpartan1987
what about estrogen lowering from zinc ? is that possible ? around 30mg of elemental zinc (150mg picolinate)

sele

what about estrogen lowering from zinc ? is that possible ? around 30mg of elemental zinc (150mg picolinate)
RP said supplemental zinc could oxidize vitamins in the intestine. For that reason, according to him, no more than 10mg of zinc ( either sulfate or gluconate) should be used and for a period of 10 days max. After that get it from food like oysters.
Zinc alone can also cause copper imbalance.
High dose vitamin E and daily carrot can help lower estrogen.

Amazoniac

Chris Masterjohn just did a podcast on zinc. Here is a link https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2017/03/04/manage-zinc-status/#supplements. He doesn't like zinc picolinate because he claims the evidence suggests it quickly gets excreted in the urine.

The best-studied forms of zinc are gluconate, acetate, sulfate, and citrate. All of these have excellent absorption. Zinc picolinate and zinc oxide are not as reliable. Other forms have not been studied as well, but methionine chelates are probably very bioavailable. I recommend using supplements that come in 10-20 mg per serving. Doses of 25-30 mg are probably safe on the background of a diet rich in copper and other minerals, but unnecessary. Doses of 50 mg can cause nausea when taken on an empty stomach, are rarely needed, are likely to exceed the capacity to absorb zinc by a large degree, and likely to induce a copper deficiency.
I'm curious about others' opinions on this before propagating the idea that zinc picolinate is not reliable. Perhaps it's not, however that single source doesn't seem enough reason. It was the only reference against zinc picolinate in the book that Chris always uses.

Last edited:

Mito

I'm curious about others' opinions on this before propagating the idea that zinc picolinate is not reliable. Perhaps it's not, however that single source doesn't seem enough reason. It was the only reference against zinc picolinate in the book that Chris always uses.
For reference, this is what he said in the podcast: "I would also not use picolinate. I’ve seen claims out there that zinc picolinate is the superior form. The only evidence I could find for that is that zinc picolinate was more effective at increasing hair and red blood cell zinc relative to other more well-studied forms of zinc. It also doubled the urinary excretion of zinc, and zinc deficiency has been produced in animals by feeding them picolinate without the zinc. So I think it’s quite likely that zinc picolinate is gonna lead to increased urinary losses.

There are some studies showing that zinc picolinate was beneficial for reversing impairments in the sense of smell and taste. But none of those studies compared it to any other forms of zinc, and there’s no studies that actually show that it’s superior at increasing plasma zinc, which is the ideal marker of zinc status, or that it’s superior at preventing any of the well-studied signs of deficiency, like immune system health and skin problems and so on. So I would avoid zinc picolinate, as well."

Amazoniac

Thanks, Mito.
It also doubled the urinary excretion of zinc, and zinc deficiency has been produced in animals by feeding them picolinate without the zinc.
This is the only relevant part that actually suggests something negative and practical from it. If I'm not wrong, the first part is largely based on the linked study, the second part might be replicable with other acids as well, especially in excess, but it doesn't mean that in modest amounts it behaves the same way.
I'm not using it to be on the safe side since I also have the gluconate form. It's difficult to know from experience the effects in the long-term.

OP
TheSpartan1987
Thanks, Mito.

This is the only relevant part that actually suggests something negative and practical from it. If I'm not wrong, the first part is largely based on the linked study, the second part might be replicable with other acids as well, especially in excess, but it doesn't mean that in modest amounts it behaves the same way.
I'm not using it to be on the safe side since I also have the gluconate form. It's difficult to know from experience the effects in the long-term.
i try to use one tablet picolinate , and one tab gluconate form. picolinate at morning and gluconate at night.