Electrolyte drink with honey? (newbie question)

Bruv

I have been getting a lot f cramp this summer so I started making an electrolyte drink with 1tsp of sodium bicarbonate, 1/2tsp of a salt substitute and a litre or so of water. Some nights just before bed I put a few teaspoons of honey in just enough boiled water to make it drinkable and add my electrolyte drink to it to make half a mug full of the drink (this is delicious btw). Will the honey or electrolyte drink interfere with each other in any way? I tend not to have much of the electrolyte drink before mals because I am worried that it may interfere with meat digestion.
Other times I have put the electrolytes directly in a mug of honey and water bit am wondering if it's too much sodium in one go?

Mittir

I do not see why honey would disturb electrolyte absorption. Fruit juices are
full of electrolytes and sugar. For cramps Ray Peat recommended calcium, 1500 mg to
2000 mg. lack of magnesium also causes cramps.
If you are drinking orange juice , coffee and milk you will get plenty of
potassium , magnesium and calcium. I have noticed calcium was more helpful
with muscle cramps. If it does not bother your intestine it is fine to take a tsp salt
in one go.

OP
B

Bruv

I forgot to mention that I had recently started taking a magnesium, calcium and vit c powder from Higher Nature. The suggested dose is 3tsp per day.
One well-rounded teaspoon (3.5g) typically provides
120mg Calcium, 1.25µg Vitamin D2, 78.3mg Vitamin C, 90mg Magnesium, 301mg Citric acid, 14mg Malic acid.
https://www.highernature.co.uk/ShowProductFamily.aspx?ProductFamilyID=68

I have only started on a few of Peats suggestions about a week ago and am still easing into it. I am taking things slowly to see if there is anything that doesn't agree with me. I have many allergies and intolerances so I try not to rush into reintroducing or increasing certain foods so that I can figure out what is happening if things start going wrong. In the past few years I have hardly eaten any fruit and had not actually eaten an orange in several years. I have started eating mandarins and will increase the quantity of those and start eating oranges and try some juice very soon
I don't drink coffee and I am allergic to dairy.
If anyone has any other suggestions or criticisms then please feel free to tell me.
Thanks for your help.

Mittir

It is a good idea to introduce things slowly. Are you having cramps after using
electrolyte+honey drinks? The supplement you are using have calcium gluconate in it.
Ray Peat thinks calcium phosphate, gluconate ,aspertate, oratate
are bad supplements. He recommends milk ,cheese, egg shell powder ,
soft chicken bones, oyster shell powder . There is a thread on egg shell powder.
Usually people are fine with cheese even if they have problem with milk.
Strained yogurt also have very little lactose.
He discussed calcium supplement in " East West Healing: Serotonin and Endotoxin"
audio interview . http://eastwesthealing.com/ray-peat/

OP
B

Bruv

I have not been getting any cramps since I figured out how much of the ectrolytes I needed. I wasn't having enough electrolytes when I first tried doing it but since I increased the dosage, I've been ok.

I can't have cheese or yogurt because I am allergic to milk products. It's not lactose intolerance.

Thanks for the info about the calcium gluconate.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Allergies and being intolerant to foods can be signs of hypothyroidism.

OP
B

Bruv

Yes, so I have been reading, mate. I wonder if that's my problem? I really don't know much about it though so I looked at the 16 symptoms listed on the Mayo Clinic site and I have about 8 of them.

4peatssake

Bruv said:
Yes, so I have been reading, mate. I wonder if that's my problem? I really don't know much about it though so I looked at the 16 symptoms listed on the Mayo Clinic site and I have about 8 of them.
Unfortunately, there is very little accurate information on thyroid disease and I would never trust the Mayo Clinic as a source of information.

When I first discovered I had likely been hypothyroid since childhood, Ray Peat recommended to me two websites.

Ray Peat said:
Mary Shomon's thyroid website and http://www.tpauk.com have good information about thyroid.

You can find out more about Mary here

Personally, I recommend, however, that you study Ray Peat's articles and audio recordings for the most accurate information on thyroid.

:welcome2 to the forum Bruv!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Bruv said:

Start tracking your temps and pulse and that will give you the information you need as to whether you are hypothyroid or not.

Temperature and Pulse Basics & Monthly Log

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals