Einkorn Sourdough

bookshelf

While I realize not everyone here would agree with eating sourdough bread, I am still in search of some support for making sourdough with einkorn. I have a starter that feeds off of sugar, potato flakes and water. Has anyone ever used this starter before and successfully used einkorn as the flour?

For perspective, I haven't been able to eat dairy in many, many years (except quality butter). I also haven't been able to eat gluten for as long or longer. Through diet and lifestyle changes that include "p'eating" and related methods, I am now able to tolerate very well raw dairy (milk, cheeses, etc.). I see einkorn as the 'raw dairy' of the wheat world and would very much like to enjoy it from time to time. Since I used to successfully make sourdough bread using the potato/sugar starter a long time ago, I'm trying to master it again only using einkorn. The trouble is, it doesn't respond the way traditional bread flour does. Any insight would be appreciated.

And, to be clear, I recognize not everyone will be in favor of any bread in any form. Indulge me, please, and know that, at my st(age) in life, an occasional slice of high quality homemade sourdough bread (well tolerated) slathered with a fat pat of grass fed butter will do more for my health than stressing about the ins and outs of why I shouldn't be indulging in it.

Thank you kindly!

Lollipop2

I make it every week! It is amazing. We love it!!

I used the Organic Jovial Einkorn All Purpose flour to create my starter. I followed exactly the three videos on her website and have had grand success with this low gluten high protein flour. If you make sourdough with it - most of the gluten will be gone.
Videos:
1) Einkorn Sourdough Starter
2) Einkorn Sourdough Levain
3) Einkorn Sourdough Boule.

I read in the comments of one of her videos that you need to use the Einkorn starter and not another type of starter. You can consult her website and see if a starter made with different ingredients will work.

Elize

I used Jovial Einkorn 1/4 cup whole wheat flour and 3/4 cupEinkorn all purpose flour for my starter together with 1/2 cup water. Works well for me.

hierundjetzt

I make it every week! It is amazing. We love it!!

I used the Organic Jovial Einkorn All Purpose flour to create my starter. I followed exactly the three videos on her website and have had grand success with this low gluten high protein flour. If you make sourdough with it - most of the gluten will be gone.
Videos:
1) Einkorn Sourdough Starter
2) Einkorn Sourdough Levain
3) Einkorn Sourdough Boule.

I read in the comments of one of her videos that you need to use the Einkorn starter and not another type of starter. You can consult her website and see if a starter made with different ingredients will work.
The 3 videos aren't hyperlinked. Could you please send them again, or tell me where to look for them? Thx

Lollipop2

The 3 videos aren't hyperlinked. Could you please send them again, or tell me where to look for them? Thx
Sure! My apologies for not doing it the first post. I had said they were on the Jovial website but didn’t clarify.

Here is the link on her website for videos. The first three videos are the ones I mentioned. I listened to them in order. I followed her advice exactly.

Here are some hints:
Einkorn Sourdough Boule Instructions

Hints
*I followed her instructions in videos exactly. They work!

*When I began my starter, I fed the starter everyday for 3 weeks at roughly the same time. THEN, I put in the fridge until I was ready to bake. I use glass containers with a snap on lid - OXO.

*Here is an outline of the baking schedule I use. After trial and error, I think it is the best.

a) Mon and Tue - feed the starter at 8:00pm. I wrap in a kitchen towel to keep warm
b) Wed at 8:00pm make the levain AND feed the starter (will put in the fridge Thu am until next time I bake).

c) Thu - 6:00am make the dough for the sourdough boule)

d) After Folding 3 times (video explains) I cover glass bowel with plastic lid snapped on and let sit for 3-5 hours.

e) Shape the dough and begin proofing for one hour while oven and the Dutch oven heat up.
f) Bake with lid on for 40min.

g) Let cool for one to two hours.
h) Use a bread knife for slicing and enjoy!
Instructional Videos
Here is the link to the videos:
Einkorn & Gluten Free Recipe Videos | Jovial Foods

Video 1
Einkorn Sourdough Starter

Video 2
Einkorn Sourdough Levain

Video 3
Einkorn Sourdough Boule

pauljacob

Can I use regular dry yeast with einkorn just to get a taste of the bread?

Lollipop2

Can I use regular dry yeast with einkorn just to get a taste of the bread?
Yes! I baked using red star dry yeast for a year using the faster no knead bread recipe. But I must say, I will never go back. The sourdough is orders of magnitude better flavor.

pauljacob

Yes! I baked using red star dry yeast for a year using the faster no knead bread recipe. But I must say, I will never go back. The sourdough is orders of magnitude better flavor.
Thank you Lolipop2. I currently buy La Brea Sourdough bread from the supermarket and I know I'm getting just a shadow of the real flavor and texture of real Sourdough. Not only that, they leave the bread in a bin by the bread section and it quickly dries out to a stiff stick. I pay $2.50 for a baguette.

hierundjetzt

Sure! My apologies for not doing it the first post. I had said they were on the Jovial website but didn’t clarify.

Here is the link on her website for videos. The first three videos are the ones I mentioned. I listened to them in order. I followed her advice exactly.

Here are some hints:

Hints

*When I began my starter, I fed the starter everyday for 3 weeks at roughly the same time. THEN, I put in the fridge until I was ready to bake. I use glass containers with a snap on lid - OXO.

*Here is an outline of the baking schedule I use. After trial and error, I think it is the best.

a) Mon and Tue - feed the starter at 8:00pm. I wrap in a kitchen towel to keep warm
b) Wed at 8:00pm make the levain AND feed the starter (will put in the fridge Thu am until next time I bake).

d) After Folding 3 times (video explains) I cover glass bowel with plastic lid snapped on and let sit for 3-5 hours.

e) Shape the dough and begin proofing for one hour while oven and the Dutch oven heat up.

Instructional Videos

Video 1

Video 2
Einkorn Sourdough Levain

Video 3
Einkorn Sourdough Boule

Here are some hints:

Hints

Instructional Videos

Video 1

Video 2
Einkorn Sourdough Levain

Video 3
Einkorn Sourdough Boule
Thanks so much, very detailed instructions!!!!

Lollipop2

Thank you Lolipop2. I currently buy La Brea Sourdough bread from the supermarket and I know I'm getting just a shadow of the real flavor and texture of real Sourdough. Not only that, they leave the bread in a bin by the bread section and it quickly dries out to a stiff stick. I pay $2.50 for a baguette.
Honestly, these days I am in to making everything myself. The quality and flavor is sooo much better. It spoils me though; when I go out the food pales in comparison to my own. It took me a bit of experimenting to figure it all out, but worth it!

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

Thank you very much for this information and remarks! I will certainly look in to it all!

akgrrrl

Go lollypop2!!!
I am the Queen of Einkorn in my neck of the woods, as we have spoken before on another thread and I hope everyone here tries Einkorn and learns how it is different to use, store, mill, substitute and create.
Its warm, buttery, hearty flavor is so worth it. Sourdough just makes it so much better because this grain is slow to absorb liquid and fat. But when it does, Big Yummies!
Jovial has Einkorn pasta, cookies and more.

Lollipop2

Go lollypop2!!!
I am the Queen of Einkorn in my neck of the woods, as we have spoken before on another thread and I hope everyone here tries Einkorn and learns how it is different to use, store, mill, substitute and create.
Its warm, buttery, hearty flavor is so worth it. Sourdough just makes it so much better because this grain is slow to absorb liquid and fat. But when it does, Big Yummies!
Jovial has Einkorn pasta, cookies and more.
Aaawwww...thank you @akgrrrl ❤️ I am loving Einkorn ❤️❤️ I remember our conversation!

Here is a photo of one of my recent breads:
114003B5-E688-4783-90A1-3EDC6BA668F6.jpeg

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Is there anyone here with gluten issues able to tolerate Einkorn sourdough?

Lollipop2

Is there anyone here with gluten issues able to tolerate Einkorn sourdough?
My husband. Any other wheat affects him bloating, digestive distress, skin distress, etc. He can handle Einkorn no problems at all.