Einkorn Sourdough

Blossom

Forum Supporter
wonder how @Blossom liked the crackers..
I gave them to my SIL due to my rash taking a while to clear up. I didn’t want to take a chance on it coming back. :/
If I ever try again with wheat it will be Einkorn.

akgrrrl

MMMMM!!! I have to buy more einkorn and try these! @akgrrrl that's a helpful comparison. Makes me want to find a good gluten free oat bread recipe.

Yes oats make it sweet tasting, sounds good. Just add---I throw some in my vitamix until powdery and start with a 1/2 cup in your already fave recipe.
Will post crackers next. Oh yum sea salt on top yeehaw

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

Yes oats make it sweet tasting, sounds good. Just add---I throw some in my vitamix until powdery and start with a 1/2 cup in your already fave recipe.
Will post crackers next. Oh yum sea salt on top yeehaw
I have oats and I have yeast - now I just need to find a recipe 🙇🏽‍♀️!

I have tried that two ingredient oat wrap hack. It's basically 2 parts oats and 1 part water (ish). You can either make oat flour first and hand mix in the water or dump the oats and water in a blender and whir till smooth. Some recipes say let it sit for an hour, I found less time was better. It will thicken as it sits. Basically, you want the mixture to be like thin pancake batter. You can add any seasonings you want (salt is a good start). Then, in a crepe pan or other favorite non-stick pan (I know, non-stick bad...), pour enough in to thinly coat the pan bottom and cook over medium high heat until set then flip to finish for a couple minutes more.

There are a bunch of recipes online plus YT videos to demonstrate and offer variations. I was really pleased and will make them again. We don't eat a lot of oatmeal in any form but usually manage to have some oats on hand so these are great on the fly.

akgrrrl

That sounds really good. Kinda like DutchBabies but with oats. Can you not let it sit long either? Does it absorb the water further and get like glue?

OP
bookshelf

bookshelf

That sounds really good. Kinda like DutchBabies but with oats. Can you not let it sit long either? Does it absorb the water further and get like glue?
It will get thick and gluey the longer it sits, yes. When I first made them, I'd followed a recipe that said let it sit an hour. Yeesh, it was thick. It's easy to fix, just add more water, but I would not let it sit nearly so long. Maybe 10-15 minutes max.

I'd like to try a batch adding some sugar and vanilla and then topping with cooked apples/fruit. It would make a great dessert or breakfast. Kind of a cheater's version of a dutch baby.