Einkorn Sourdough

Borz

Forum Supporter
it looks like Einkorn doesn’t need sourdough fermentation to become safer to eat? Is it safe as is?

akgrrrl

it looks like Einkorn doesn’t need sourdough fermentation to become safer to eat? Is it safe as is?
einkorn is not genetically modified
Einkorn is not defoliated by Monsanto Roundup therefore no glyphosate
Einkorn is THE original wheat, nutty and tasty without being cultured by sourdough fermentation.
Try looking it up and reading the history

Borz

Forum Supporter
einkorn is not genetically modified
Einkorn is not defoliated by Monsanto Roundup therefore no glyphosate
Einkorn is THE original wheat, nutty and tasty without being cultured by sourdough fermentation.
Try looking it up and reading the history
I know these things, but I don’t know if it’s safe without sourdough fermentation.

Borz

Forum Supporter
I use it with no problems and my husband who tends to be gluten sensitive has no problems with it.
what about real sourdough bread (not Einkorn)? Can you or or husband eat that with no problems?

It seems like I can’t even tolerate real sourdough. So I’m looking into Einkorn, and wondering if Einkorn even needs to be sourdough for safety.

Lollipop2

what about real sourdough bread (not Einkorn)? Can you or or husband eat that with no problems?

It seems like I can’t even tolerate real sourdough. So I’m looking into Einkorn, and wondering if Einkorn even needs to be sourdough for safety.
He has more problems with real sourdough. Can handle no sourdough Einkorn bread - of course the Einkorn sourdough is simply the best.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
How did I just find this thread!!!
I’m wondering if any other celiac/gluten sensitive people do well with Einkorn?

Last edited:

akgrrrl

How did I just find this thread!!!
I’m wondering if any other celiac/gluten sensitive people do well with Einkorn?
227 pages of glory. The story of original wheat, how it was found, what it looks like compared to generations of wheat modified in America, how the yield fails to serve the current agenda becomes obvious. So delicious. Buttermilk coconut pie 5eggs, butter sugar Einkorn, buttermilk, lemon juice and zest, salt, 1/2 tsp baking powder, vanilla. No fuss crust: no bowl, only countertop and bench scraper. Celiacs and other converts 13 yrs now, we prevailed upon a local grocer, now stocks Jovial Einkorn right next to the Masa.

Attachments

• 20220526_053917.jpg
    20220526_053917.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220526_053932.jpg
    20220526_053932.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 24

Blossom

Forum Supporter
227 pages of glory. The story of original wheat, how it was found, what it looks like compared to generations of wheat modified in America, how the yield fails to serve the current agenda becomes obvious. So delicious. Buttermilk coconut pie 5eggs, butter sugar Einkorn, buttermilk, lemon juice and zest, salt, 1/2 tsp baking powder, vanilla. No fuss crust: no bowl, only countertop and bench scraper. Celiacs and other converts 13 yrs now, we prevailed upon a local grocer, now stocks Jovial Einkorn right next to the Masa.
Thank you so much akgrrrl!

Lollipop2

This is the Einkorn flour I buy - Jovial!! This book is simply amazing ? Love how you guys grew a grass roots effort locally. Go @akgrrrl!

akgrrrl

This is the Einkorn flour I buy - Jovial!! This book is simply amazing ? Love how you guys grew a grass roots effort locally. Go @akgrrrl!
Thankyou kindly (curtseys).
And now, about that crust...suitable for sweet or savory uses, pressed with fingers or rolled; also good as a "biscuit" sweet or savory--- cut in pieces or shapes covered in cinnamon sugar and baked. Rolled with grated cheese plus paprika or chili powder, garlic for savory crusties...
One batch makes a BIG 10" pie with substantial edges.
Prepare (clean) a flat surface, and get a bench scraper in hand. Put 2 cups of Einkorn flour on the surface, 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp FINE salt
1/4 cup sugar but only 1tsp for meat/savory pie
Zest from at least 1/2 a lemon
Scoop and blend with scraper.
With fingers, make a well in the center for 3 eggs (2 if Xlarge). Lay a softened stick of butter (1/4lb) atop this, and begin a chopping motion on eggs and butter into flour mixture until blended. Form a ball and wrap in clingwrap or baggie to the fridge at least 30mins. Bake in 350 oven 35mins if meat or fruit pie less for snack crust

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Lollipop2, I’m going to try the jovial einkorn sourdough crackers you mentioned just to see how it goes. I don’t want to spend a lot of time making something until I’m more confident it’s going to work for me.
I actually had a slice of sprouted whole wheat bread a couple weeks ago and I had no noticeable reaction until 3 days later and that was only one small patch of dermatitis herpetiformis. Even though I’m celiac I think my tolerance has improved. Sourdough Einkorn seems promising. This is the bread I tried. I gave it to my neighbors to enjoy. EA47C010-7594-4C3A-B412-B4A04EBA46BE.jpeg

Lollipop2

@Lollipop2, I’m going to try the jovial einkorn sourdough crackers you mentioned just to see how it goes. I don’t want to spend a lot of time making something until I’m more confident it’s going to work for me.
I actually had a slice of sprouted whole wheat bread a couple weeks ago and I had no noticeable reaction until 3 days later and that was only one small patch of dermatitis herpetiformis. Even though I’m celiac I think my tolerance has improved. Sourdough Einkorn seems promising. This is the bread I tried. I gave it to my neighbors to enjoy.View attachment 37213
Interesting @Blossom thank you for tagging me.

I am not sure if you are diagnosed as a celiac if Einkorn sourdough would give you problems or not. I know it works well for gluten sensitivity but fully diagnosed celiac, there might be too much gluten in Einkorn. Also you chose a whole wheat, I use the all purpose white Einkorn to make sourdough and I think it is easier to digest. But I truly have no idea. They say the gluten is greatly reduced and has way more protein.

Please come share how your cracker experiment goes :):

Birdie

Interesting @Blossom thank you for tagging me.

I am not sure if you are diagnosed as a celiac if Einkorn sourdough would give you problems or not. I know it works well for gluten sensitivity but fully diagnosed celiac, there might be too much gluten in Einkorn. Also you chose a whole wheat, I use the all purpose white Einkorn to make sourdough and I think it is easier to digest. But I truly have no idea. They say the gluten is greatly reduced and has way more protein.

Please come share how your cracker experiment goes :):
I just came to the forum to see if anybody was discussing Einkorn and so glad to see all your info. Thank you and @akgrrrl so much. I wonder how @Blossom liked the crackers.. A lot of conflicting opinions on amazon regarding those crackers. I'm thinking about trying the pasta.

So I made regular sourdough for my husband for a few years. Very delicious and beautiful to behold the loaves. However, we moved and when I got a new starter going, nothing worked. The loaves were flat. My husband begged me to stop trying because I have to measure out my energy these days.

Think I'll try the Einkorn flour with yeast. Will see how that goes. And read over this thread again first. TY.

Thank you all for this thread. Appreciate you a lot.

Birdie

@bookshelf Thank you for this thread. Elize thank you. @charlie I hope you got to make some bread.

akgrrrl

From the USDA nutrient Database:
Protein in Einkorn compared to soft wheat, oats, quinoa, spelt (G/100G)
Soft wheat. 10.37
Quinoa. 14.12
Spelt. 14.57
Oats. 16.89
Einkorn. 18.80