Eggshell as calcium acetate

Jhi66

This study Effects of Water-Soluble Calcium Supplements Made from Eggshells and Oyster Shells on the Calcium Metabolism of Growing Rats seems to show that eggshells soaked in vinegar may be beneficial. I recently took a quarter cup vinegar and added 1 teaspoon of crushed eggshells to it then soaked it overnight. The next day I added about 20 ounces of water and a couple of tablespoons sugar and sipped on it over the course of a day. Strangely the taste is very good, almost like a soda, and is fat free.

I have been experimenting on trying to get more calcium in my diet. (Very new to RP ideas, 55 year old male) Milk is very expensive, eggshells are free. I like to drink milk but financially it is sometimes a hardship especially for the good stuff. I have also tried just taking crushed eggshells 1/4 teaspoon several times a day and I'm sure that works fine, but it is inconvenient on work days. I am assuming the eggshell oxidizes? in the stomach acidity?

So, I guess my question is: is this a viable and healthy way to get calcium? Is there some problem with this idea over a long term, like buildup of other things that are unhealthy? (I'm a clueless carpenter trying to live my best life) Most of the eggshells seam to dissolve/oxidize overnight. Is the calcium still there and bioavaible? Thanks everyone!

Elie

Forum Supporter
Interesting.
Will give it a try.
Not sure about egg shell oxidizing.
the stomach acid (has a positive charge) and so do calcium ions, although in egg shell it is bound to a carbonate?

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Very interesting. Glad you discovered the metabolic view of health. I hear you on grounding the eggshells. It takes perseverance.

My concern with the vinegar soak would be enamel deterioration with chronic use. Perhaps be mindful of it with water rinse or sipping afterwards. It sounds like it is diluted enough not be a major problem though.

I get calcium carbonate with no additives from amazon and it's cheap. The only concern there would be lead if the calcium is from old cows (Dr. Peat has mentioned that concern one time). There are no eggshell supplements that I can trust ingesting yet either due to fillers or their target consumer.

With that said, I do eat yogurt and cheese daily as well as milk. Depending on where you live, some commercial non-organic / cheap milks might for you.

OP
J

Jhi66

drk, not sure if oxidizing is the right word. The crushed eggshell effervesces. I did another kitchen experiment last night and tightly capped a teaspoon of crushed eggshells, 3 ounces of vinegar and about 16 ounces of water. It tastes quite carbonated. I could imagine mixing sugar, water, crushed eggshells, vinegar, perhaps a little salt?, and some other flavoring elements.

xeliex, I forgot to mention that on my initial experiment I tested the pH. The test strip showed a pH of abut 6 with (2 ounces vinegar, 1 teaspoon crushed eggshell). I believe there should be a sweet spot where the pH has been increased to a teeth-safe point. I experimented last night using 3 ounces vinegar, 1 teaspoon crushed eggshell and got a pH of around 4.5 - 5. I was trying to see if over 8 hours or so I could get a more complete dissolving of the eggshells. I believe the variables must be time/acidity for breakdown. (though it is possible that temperature is another) But anyway the crushed eggshells become soft, you can kind of chew them. Definitely more palatable.

The big question for me is what has happened to the calcium, Is it still there in a body helpful way?