EGGS Day? Or Night?

Knowing Ray Peat says to have your protein and calcium during the day and starch, fats & magnesium at night what camp do we put eggs in? He says it is a "powerful protein" that is better used by the body, than even meat, but needs to be balanced with a lot of orange juice. It has good protein and it has good fat, so where would it better serve, night for brain and sleep, or daytime for energy and muscles? I personally didn't tolerate eggs well until I found corn and soy free ones, now I eat several a day, without issue, with or without orange juice.

Last edited:

Razvan

If you tolerate them well i would do max 2 eggs in the morning with orange juice. I will try to eat the daily protein until 6-8 PM.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
If you tolerate them well i would do max 2 eggs in the morning with orange juice. I will try to eat the daily protein until 6-8 PM.
Yeah I don't eat protein at night either, but eggs seemed to be possible day or night food, being ice cream is a night recommended food with egg and milk protein.

redsun

Knowing Ray Peat says to have your protein and calcium during the day and starch, fats & magnesium at night what camp do we put eggs in? He says it is a "powerful protein" that is better used by the body, than even meat, but needs to be balanced with a lot of orange juice. It has good protein and it has good fat, so where would it better serve, night for brain and sleep, or daytime for energy and muscles? I personally didn't tolerate eggs well until I found corn and soy free ones, now I eat several a day, without issue, with or without orange juice.

Eggs are a great food. They should preferably be pasture-raised. Best in the morning imo as the high levels of choline are going to boost your cognitive function/mental speed for the day ahead.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Eggs are a great food. They should preferably be pasture-raised. Best in the morning imo as the high levels of choline are going to boost your cognitive function/mental speed for the day ahead.
Oh yes pasture raised only, or don't bother. I love those deep orange yolks, what a tasty difference too. So you think the choline would interfere with sleep?

redsun

Oh yes pasture raised only, or don't bother. I love those deep orange yolks, what a tasty difference too. So you think the choline would interfere with sleep?
Depends on the person it may make it harder to fall asleep. Only thing is if you dont like dreams, you want to avoid too many cholinergic substances before bed like taking B vitamins, choline, zinc, manganese... etc. Taking these things tend to make dreams very vivid and lucid (depends on you how lucid you are).

redsun

Yes, can give nightmares eating them before sleep.
Never had nightmares from eggs before bed. Nightmares are usually caused by an adrenaline spike during sleep. So a lot of protein but not enough carbs before bed can do it. But I would guess since dreams are also more vivid, nightmares will also be as well from eggs.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yes, can give nightmares eating them before sleep.
I am so glad I asked! Sometimes it is hard to narrow down and isolate a problematic food, or figure out if it is a simple timing issue. Thank you so much for your help!

Razvan

Never had nightmares from eggs before bed. Nightmares are usually caused by an adrenaline spike during sleep. So a lot of protein but not enough carbs before bed can do it. But I would guess since dreams are also more vivid, nightmares will also be as well from eggs.
Acetylcholine can aswell,but your perspective is pretty right. Also eggs are insulinogenic,some people get sedated from them and sleep well with them before bed. Some of my clients do that. I personally wouldn't do it. Since eating pork brains every 2 weeks(6-7g of cholesterol) my craving for eggs is almost non existent. In fact I crave much more lean beef and dairy.

Hgreen56

starch at night? where is ray saying that?
thats make no sense if someone knows how randle cycle works. And Ray knows that. He is saying somewhere that at night, when body and muscle's resting, they prefer fat is fuel.

Last edited:

Dr. B

Acetylcholine can aswell,but your perspective is pretty right. Also eggs are insulinogenic,some people get sedated from them and sleep well with them before bed. Some of my clients do that. I personally wouldn't do it. Since eating pork brains every 2 weeks(6-7g of cholesterol) my craving for eggs is almost non existent. In fact I crave much more lean beef and dairy.
why are you eating pork brains is there a specific benefit?

Depends on the person it may make it harder to fall asleep. Only thing is if you dont like dreams, you want to avoid too many cholinergic substances before bed like taking B vitamins, choline, zinc, manganese... etc. Taking these things tend to make dreams very vivid and lucid (depends on you how lucid you are).

are zinc and manganese cholinergic substances? they boost acetylcholine?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I rarely have bad dreams, and to the contrary, now dreaming vividly since "Peating" and switching to high end white tequila. I now dream like i did as a child , flying, jumping high, and hard to pull myself out of one. I love it, especially coming from a place of insomnia as long as I can remember. Hmmm...I might try an egg and see what happens, at least I know quite a bit more than I did, and will proceed with curiosity :)

Razvan

For the benefit of cholesterol converting to metabolites hormones, as 250g of brains has 7 grams of cholesterol almost like eating 30 eggs at one time.Also contains pure little doses of pregnenolone. It's a true superfood in combo with T3 as long as you keep it very occasional. I'm young,i need cholesterol and i have low cholesterol and pretty high thyroid.
Read my older thread:
Thread 'Everyone should try this at some point.' Everyone should try this at some point.

redsun

are zinc and manganese cholinergic substances? they boost acetylcholine?
Both of these metals inhibit acetylcholinesterase so in that manner they are cholinergic.

Dr. B

For the benefit of cholesterol converting to metabolites hormones, as 250g of brains has 7 grams of cholesterol almost like eating 30 eggs at one time.Also contains pure little doses of pregnenolone. It's a true superfood in combo with T3 as long as you keep it very occasional. I'm young,i need cholesterol and i have low cholesterol and pretty high thyroid.
Read my older thread:
Thread 'Everyone should try this at some point.' Everyone should try this at some point.

does beef brains work for that? how many would be needed? btw 250g, thats like 7oz of the meat right?

redsun

I rarely have bad dreams, and to the contrary, now dreaming vividly since "Peating" and switching to high end white tequila. I now dream like i did as a child , flying, jumping high, and hard to pull myself out of one. I love it, especially coming from a place of insomnia as long as I can remember. Hmmm...I might try an egg and see what happens, at least I know quite a bit more than I did, and will proceed with curiosity :)

Yeh so it also depends on your own mental state and how life is going. If life is going good generally dreams will be pleasant and nightmares very rare.