EGGS Day? Or Night?

lampofred

Knowing Ray Peat says to have your protein and calcium during the day and starch, fats & magnesium at night what camp do we put eggs in? He says it is a "powerful protein" that is better used by the body, than even meat, but needs to be balanced with a lot of orange juice. It has good protein and it has good fat, so where would it better serve, night for brain and sleep, or daytime for energy and muscles? I personally didn't tolerate eggs well until I found corn and soy free ones, now I eat several a day, without issue, with or without orange juice.

Do you get eggs from a local farm or did you find a supermarket brand that doesn't have corn/soy/flax? I used to like Vital Farms eggs but I think those have dropped in quality now.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Do you get eggs from a local farm or did you find a supermarket brand that doesn't have corn/soy/flax? I used to like Vital Farms eggs but I think those have dropped in quality now.
Yeah I use to think Vital Farms was the best for quality with their deep orange yolks, but I still didn't feel all that well eating them. I thought maybe it was a histamine thing from the whites until i read about corn and soy free ones. It was a game changer! I eat 2 a day now and feel great! I have only found once commercial source for corn & soy free eggs and that is Happily Hens Eggs. I get them in my weekly Farm Fresh To You delivery. I also can get them at my local health food store. Here is their link.

Beastmode

I used to have them first thing with OJ, but I noticed they seem to not mess with my blood sugar if I eat them later in the day. I get locally sourced eggs directly from a farm so it had nothing to do with the quality of the eggs.

Peat had mentioned getting in the milk first thing via lattes so I've been doing that for the past year consistently and I don't get that morning crash.

David90

Knowing Ray Peat says to have your protein and calcium during the day and starch, fats & magnesium at night what camp do we put eggs in? He says it is a "powerful protein" that is better used by the body, than even meat, but needs to be balanced with a lot of orange juice. It has good protein and it has good fat, so where would it better serve, night for brain and sleep, or daytime for energy and muscles? I personally didn't tolerate eggs well until I found corn and soy free ones, now I eat several a day, without issue, with or without orange juice.

I would put them on Daytime. Choline is very Good for the Brain and Liver (and also helps against Fatty Liver). It also increases Cognitive Function and reduces Brain Fog.

Personally i eat 2 Eggs (with the Yolk a bit runny) with lots of Cheese, Ginger, Salt & Pepper (cooking in a Pan) and Oranges / Orange Juice. and a Big Cup of Coffee with Milk & Honey.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I used to have them first thing with OJ, but I noticed they seem to not mess with my blood sugar if I eat them later in the day. I get locally sourced eggs directly from a farm so it had nothing to do with the quality of the eggs.

Peat had mentioned getting in the milk first thing via lattes so I've been doing that for the past year consistently and I don't get that morning crash.
Funny you should say that, cause I started doing lattes instead now too. I would barely finish even a cup in the mornings, losing interest in it before I could even think about another.. So it has been hard getting in the coffee all these "Peaty" years. I try to make it up with premade coffee shots instead, strategically pairing them with the appropriate foods throughout the day. So I got myself Italian blend ground coffee and a milk frother and voila! I got three in yesterday and still wasn't tired of them by my first meal! It felt great too!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I would put them on Daytime. Choline is very Good for the Brain and Liver (and also helps against Fatty Liver). It also increases Cognitive Function and reduces Brain Fog.

Personally i eat 2 Eggs (with the Yolk a bit runny) with lots of Cheese, Ginger, Salt & Pepper (cooking in a Pan) and Oranges / Orange Juice. and a Big Cup of Coffee with Milk & Honey.
Ginger and eggs sound interesting! My favorite fried egg is in butter with a pinch of Chinese 5-Spice, and when it is on the plate I sprinkle on some coconut Aminos and some finely chopped green onion. It is an unbelievable combination! What kind of cheese do you put with ginger?

Beastmode

Funny you should say that, cause I started doing lattes instead now too. I would barely finish even a cup in the mornings, losing interest in it before I could even think about another.. So it has been hard getting in the coffee all these "Peaty" years. I try to make it up with premade coffee shots instead, strategically pairing them with the appropriate foods throughout the day. So I got myself Italian blend ground coffee and a milk frother and voila! I got three in yesterday and still wasn't tired of them by my first meal! It felt great too!
I have 3 latte's before I have any food. Each latte is about 2 cups of milk/3-4 oz of coffee with 2 tbs of sugar. Takes me about 2 hours to get all 3 in, but I'm quite satiated and my blood sugar is good.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I have 3 latte's before I have any food. Each latte is about 2 cups of milk/3-4 oz of coffee with 2 tbs of sugar. Takes me about 2 hours to get all 3 in, but I'm quite satiated and my blood sugar is good.
Wow that is a lot of milk for a latte! I am assuming it is skim milk? Is this 4 ounces espresso? I am only getting in a little under a half cup of milk in each of mine, but mine is raw whole milk that i put in a milk frother to get that nice fluffiness :)

OccamzRazer

I can eat about 6 eggs for lunch without getting sleepy.

If I want to eat 9-12 eggs, I eat them for dinner instead. Large amounts do seem to help with relaxation and sleep.

Always pastured, as you and others have said. And lightly fried in coconut oil. Perhaps that negates the potential harmfulness of the PUFA.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I can eat about 6 eggs for lunch without getting sleepy.

If I want to eat 9-12 eggs, I eat them for dinner instead. Large amounts do seem to help with relaxation and sleep.

Always pastured, as you and others have said. And lightly fried in coconut oil. Perhaps that negates the potential harmfulness of the PUFA.
Hmmmmm....since writing this post and collecting info from everyone, it seems to me they could go in the day or night catergory, along with fruit and sugar. I tried a variety of eggs and placenent of them, and I think maybe the whites may be a bigger problem at night, raising histamines, which really can get my heart pounding and wire me. When I have been eating a custard at night this past week, which only has the yolk, it has been more calming and isn't disruptive to my sleep, like ice cream. My husband had one egg scrambled in butter on a half croissant with swiss and a little mustard last night and said he had mostly good and adventurious dreams with one part slightly scary. He said all he knows is it was really deep sleep and wants to do that again!

Beastmode

Wow that is a lot of milk for a latte! I am assuming it is skim milk? Is this 4 ounces espresso? I am only getting in a little under a half cup of milk in each of mine, but mine is raw whole milk that i put in a milk frother to get that nice fluffiness :)
3 (20 oz latte's) spread out over 2 hours+ basically. I use 1%. I have not issues with it. Very satiated as well.

supercoolguy

Yeah I use to think Vital Farms was the best for quality with their deep orange yolks, but I still didn't feel all that well eating them. I thought maybe it was a histamine thing from the whites until i read about corn and soy free ones. It was a game changer! I eat 2 a day now and feel great! I have only found once commercial source for corn & soy free eggs and that is Happily Hens Eggs. I get them in my weekly Farm Fresh To You delivery. I also can get them at my local health food store. Here is their link.

Thats a good find! Tnx
Witch leads me to wonder.....Why dont the farmers list what they Do Feed the chicks, cows, ect?
Instead i gotta email and hope for the best.

David90

Ginger and eggs sound interesting! My favorite fried egg is in butter with a pinch of Chinese 5-Spice, and when it is on the plate I sprinkle on some coconut Aminos and some finely chopped green onion. It is an unbelievable combination! What kind of cheese do you put with ginger?
Parmigano Reggiano

@Beastmode
Sounds Interesting. I Put always Milk and Sugar (1 cup of Milk and 2 Teaspoons Sugar) in my Coffee. Helps very good, against the Effects (Jitterness, Anxiety and so forth) of Coffee.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Parmigano Reggiano

@Beastmode
Sounds Interesting. I Put always Milk and Sugar (1 cup of Milk and 2 Teaspoons Sugar) in my Coffee. Helps very good, against the Effects (Jitterness, Anxiety and so forth) of Coffee.
I can attest to that! I use to get queasy from the blood sugar drop after a cup or two, but no bad effect from coffee since adding the sugar and milk several years ago. I just don't enjoy the heavy muddy taste of coffee.

Philomath

I've recently had very good luck with eggs in the morning - it gets my temps up close to 98.6. Wheras before, my temperature peaked at 97.7.
I typically eat two, (softboiled with toast soldiers) without the whites. My sourdough toast is buttered with Kerrygold and the eggs are Vital Farms pastured.
Sometimes, I put a little fig jam on the toast for a treat! I used to drink OJ along with the eggs, per Dr. Peat, but I find a latte with plenty of honey or raw sugar works best.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I've recently had very good luck with eggs in the morning - it gets my temps up close to 98.6. Wheras before, my temperature peaked at 97.7.
I typically eat two, (softboiled with toast soldiers) without the whites. My sourdough toast is buttered with Kerrygold and the eggs are Vital Farms pastured.
Sometimes, I put a little fig jam on the toast for a treat! I used to drink OJ along with the eggs, per Dr. Peat, but I find a latte with plenty of honey or raw sugar works best.

Honey coffee sounds like an odd combo?

Philomath

Honey coffee sounds like an odd combo?
You’re not the first to say that. My coffee is strong so I don’t taste the honey flavor, just the sweetness. It does require at least a tablespoon however. I figure it’s better than table sugar...I could be wrong though.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
You’re not the first to say that. My coffee is strong so I don’t taste the honey flavor, just the sweetness. It does require at least a tablespoon however. I figure it’s better than table sugar...I could be wrong though.
Maybe it could be better than sugar, if anything survives the pasteurization process. I only use raw honey, so even the heat of my coffee would kill a lot.

Dr. B

what is the ideal temperature/the highest body temperature where we still get benefits but not so high that there is damage or negative effects? is 100 degrees the optimal body temperature @Hans ?

Hans

Forum Supporter
what is the ideal temperature/the highest body temperature where we still get benefits but not so high that there is damage or negative effects? is 100 degrees the optimal body temperature @Hans ?
98.6F or 37C indicates euthyroidism usually. I'm running at 37.4-6C most of the time. Boosting temps higher via a hot room or uncouplers has many benefits for sure, given that enough glucose is provided. So yeah, boosting temps even higher can be beneficial, since more CO2 is being produced for example.