Eggs Are Low In Methionine, Tryptophan And Cystine

johnwester130

I don't understand the anti-egg sentiment on this forum sometimes

Untitled.png

cAq38m

Nathan777

Is there anti-egg sentiment? If so it seems mainly due to the PUFAs... I see egg yolks as being up there with oysters and liver when it comes to micronutrient-packed foods.

Kunder

Even the PUFA argument holds no water. The amounts are insignificant.

Aleeri

If the chickens eat their natural diet and not grains then PUFAs should not matter? What is the PUFA amount if they are fed grains?

Nathan777

If the chickens eat their natural diet and not grains then PUFAs should not matter? What is the PUFA amount if they are fed grains?

.7-.8g PUFA per egg tends to be what I've seen. I assume these numbers are from conventional eggs so nice free range eggs might be even less, or have a better makeup.

Aleeri

Ok, and the Peat recommended is below 4g PUFAs per day? I tend to eat 4 eggs per day on most days, always free range and most recently more duck eggs, not fed grains, they get to eat insects etc.

Nathan777

Ok, and the Peat recommended is below 4g PUFAs per day? I tend to eat 4 eggs per day on most days, always free range and most recently more duck eggs, not fed grains, they get to eat insects etc.

I too eat around 2-4 eggs a day. I don’t get PUFA from anywhere else really other than oysters a few times a week so to me the choline in the yolks is way more important than a bit of PUFA. Though I realize choline is also controversial but I prefer the Chris Masterjohn NAFLD high dietary choline train of thought.

Aleeri

Yeah, my thinking is the same, egg yolks have such nutritional value that it is worth it, I consume no real other sources of PUFA either.

I did 23andMe genetic test before and according to the data I have higher choline requirements than most.

fradon

Is there anti-egg sentiment? If so it seems mainly due to the PUFAs... I see egg yolks as being up there with oysters and liver when it comes to micronutrient-packed foods.

i don't do well with all the choline in eggs it messes up my dopamine levels.

Aleeri

It's interesting because I got multiple downregulatory COMT SNPs, I run naturally high on catecholamines all the time (think super focus, can easily work nonstop for 8 hours straight without break). Might explain the extra need for choline. One clear indicator of it was that amphetamines such as Adderal make me feel sick in even the smallest dosages, not a single positive effect to be had.

Dopamine is great and all but I care more about how much of the other catecholamines are produced, because you can have all the dopamine in the world but if that means an epinephrine surge as well then it's useless, just causing systemic stress response.

Kunder

Producers of pastured organic eggs like to brag that their eggs are HIGHER in PUFAs. This is a very common marketing approach.

“Now with 30% less Omega 3!” wouldn’t really fly.

Lurker

Producers of pastured organic eggs like to brag that their eggs are HIGHER in PUFAs. This is a very common marketing approach.

“Now with 30% less Omega 3!” wouldn’t really fly.

I’m pretty sure even “pastured” chickens still get chicken feed (corn/soy). They can boost omega 3 content with flax. They just get to eat more worms, bugs, and seeds than industrial house chickens. They aren’t quite wild roaming in nature as the marketing would suggest. All in all they are still pretty good source of food though.

Aleeri

That's good, hopefully the brand will be consistent in using the feed color additive shade that is so much to your liking.

Well hopefully considering I buy the most expensive brand, that extra money is put on the quality of food the chickens receive rather than additives. At least this is what it says on the packaging.

Anyway continuing on the pessimism, every food you buy in any type of plastic container could contain estrogenic compounds and other additives. Welcome to the 21st century.