Eggs - Allergies - Whites Or Yokes?

aquaman

Anyone have issues with eggs?

If so is it whites or yolks you have issues with?

I vaguely remember reading something that it's the whites that create allergies. I get runny nose/nasal drip from eggs.

I will test it of course, but would be useful to know before.

freal

I think its the egg white or albumen. Some naturopathic doctors put albumen in the same category as gluten.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've been diagnosed with egg allergy twice in my life. Once at 17 and it was the yolk at that time. At 41 I tested as allergic to ovalbumin which is in both the yolk and the white. THANKS docs! I now eat 1-2 eggs daily with no problem. I think as the metabolism is repaired many seemingly allergic reactions to food disappear. Eggs are so nutritious that I would keep trying. If I had avoided all the foods that I was supposedly allergic to I would be dead. I AM NOT DISMISSING TRUE FOOD ALLERGIES. I am gluten intolerant myself so I get it but I don't believe a lot of food allergy test are accurate though because when your metabolism is in the tank and your excessively inflamed the blood work will show antibodies to about everything you eat. In my experience not tolerating a food like eggs resolves as health improves. I hope you can tolerate them eventually too.

freal

Blossom said:
I've been diagnosed with egg allergy twice in my life. Once at 17 and it was the yolk at that time. At 41 I tested as allergic to ovalbumin which is in both the yolk and the white. THANKS docs! I now eat 1-2 eggs daily with no problem. I think as the metabolism is repaired many seemingly allergic reactions to food disappear. Eggs are so nutritious that I would keep trying. If I had avoided all the foods that I was supposedly allergic to I would be dead. I AM NOT DISMISSING TRUE FOOD ALLERGIES. I am gluten intolerant myself so I get it but I don't believe a lot of food allergy test are accurate though because when your metabolism is in the tank and your excessively inflamed the blood work will show antibodies to about everything you eat. In my experience not tolerating a food like eggs resolves as health improves. I hope you can tolerate them eventually too.

Oh yea, its ovalbumin and not albumin. I knew it was in the egg white, but I did not know it was in the egg yolk. what percentage of protein in egg yolk is ovalbumin?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Surprisingly half the protein in an egg is in the yolk and I honestly don't know if ovalbumin is the only protein in egg or not. I just remember being shocked because the conventional wisdom I grew up with led me to believe yolks were nothing but evil fat and cholesterol.

J

j.

Blossom said:
I just remember being shocked because the conventional wisdom I grew up with led me to believe yolks were nothing but evil fat and cholesterol.

There are more factors in blood cholesterol than dietary intake, such as conversion to steroids, and synthesis of cholesterol in the body.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Exactly! I was being sarcastic- that's part of what finally got me motivated to stay away from the medical profession. I was prescribed a statin drug that I refused to take for a total cholesterol of 197. What a joke. I feel it goes beyond negligence the way people are being bombarded by their doctors to fear cholesterol.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Blossom said:
I feel it goes beyond negligence the way people are being bombarded by their doctors to fear cholesterol.
:1

Green

I might be allergic to eggs too because after a few days of eating it i start sneezing. But it's so hard to avoid. After all I love cheesecake. I'm going to add it back in. Does that negatively affect the hormones? (regularly eating an allergen)

tara

If it really is an allergen that provokes a significant histamine response, then this probably does increase other stress hormones too.
Are you sure it's the egg, and not something else in your environment?
I think eating sugar with food that is borderline allergenic can help counter the histamine response - sometimes completely eliminate it. But I guess you already have sugar in your cheese cake. :): Maybe just reducing the amount of egg would make a difference.

The only food I'm allergic to is eggs. This developed later in life. I'm allergic to both yolks and whites. The only cause I can pinpoint was a vaccine I got around the same time I developed the allergy. One of it's ingredients was/is chicken eggs. Yes, they think it is smart to put proteins from foods we eat into vaccines.

My other clue that it was caused by the vaccine is the following. I've only gotten hives a few times in my life. The worst was about 6h after I received this vaccine (lasted for about a week everywhere on the body). The only time I got hives since is when I ate eggs for breakfast several days in a row. (I was eating eggs once per year to test if I was still allergic, and that time I went overboard with testing.) I got hives on my legs and back, a quick heart rate, and a bit harder to breathe. Felt like I was high on something too.

zewe

I would have a reaction to eggs only if the whites aren't thoroughly cooked.....that would be a histamine reaction. I eat eggs frequently.

It's not foolproof, because it does depend on the quality of the eggs itself (I cannot always get the same good eggs), but what I have found works is I separate the yolk from the white with my hands with the water running, clean away as much as I can, then I pierce the sack of the yolk and drain into milk, then throw away the yolk membrane. Seems this discards the most allergenic components.