Egg White Lysozyme Binds LPS. COMPLETELY Abrogates TNF And Mortality Caused By LPS

Binding of lysozyme to lipopolysaccharide suppresses tumor necrosis factor production in vivo

Endotoxin (lipopolysaccharide [LPS]) released during gram-negative bacterial infection induces varieties of cytokines which directly and/or indirectly cause shock, disseminated intravascular coagulation, and death. We previously showed that lysozyme (LZM) was an LPS-binding protein and inhibited various immunomodulating activities of LPS. In this study, we examined the effect of LZM on the LPS-triggered septic shock model induced by carrageenan treatment and assessed by tumor necrosis factor production. The data presented in this report strongly suggest that LZM-LPS complex formation completely abrogates tumor necrosis factor production and the mortality caused by LPS and that LZM may be useful for the treatment of endotoxin shock.

Binding of lysozyme to lipopolysaccharide suppresses tumor necrosis factor production in vivo.

Detoxification of Lipopolysaccharide (LPS) by Egg White Lysozyme

Recent studies carried out by our group suggest that lysozyme binds to bacterial lipopolysaccharide with a high affinity to produce a complex, and inhibits various biological activities of lipopolysaccharide. Although the basic structure of lipopolysaccharide is independent of the species and strains of Gram-negative bacteria, many structural factors such as O-antigenic polysaccharide, lipid A, substituted groups, and associated molecules, affect the biological activities of lipopolysaccharide. In this study, we prepared lysozyme/lipopolysaccharide complexes using various structures of lipopolysaccharide and compared the activity and physicochemical properties. Native and dansylated lysozyme were found to bind to all tested lipopolysaccharides. The mitogenic activity and TNF production by all tested lipopolysaccharides were significantly reduced by complex formation in vitro. Administration of the complex prepared by various lipopolysaccharides produced significantly less quantities of TNF in the septic shock model. These results suggested that binding of lysozyme to lipopolysaccharide is important for the host both in pathophysiological responses to lipopolysaccharides and in the modification of lipopolysaccharide biological activity.
Detoxification of Lipopolysaccharide (LPS) by Egg White Lysozyme - PubMed

Lipopolysaccharide Interaction With Lysozyme. Binding of Lipopolysaccharide to Lysozyme and Inhibition of Lysozyme Enzymatic Activity

Abstract
Experiments have been carried out to characterize the binding of lysozyme (LZM) to bacteriol lipopolysaccharide (LPS). The formation of LPS.LZM complexes can be readily demonstrated using either physical-chemical separation techniques or a radiolabeled photoaffinity LPS probe. The binding affinity of LZM for LPS has been estimated to be approximately 10(8) liters/mol. Binding of LPS results in loss of LZM enzymatic activity by a noncompetitive inhibition, as assessed by either particulate or soluble substrates. This interaction of LPS with LZM is dictated primarily by hydrophobic interactions and appears to be a general property of both constituents. Binding can be demonstrated with LZM of both human and avian sources, as well as with LPS isolated from a variety of Gram-negative organisms. The addition of LPS to biologically relevant fluids containing LZM results in dose-dependent inhibition of LZM enzymatic activity suggesting that such interactions may have relevance in Gram-negative infections. Finally LZM has been shown to reduce the endotoxic activity of LPS as assessed by gelation of Limulus amoebocyte lysates.

Lipopolysaccharide Interaction With Lysozyme. Binding of Lipopolysaccharide to Lysozyme and Inhibition of Lysozyme Enzymatic Activity - PubMed

Seems to me raw egg is a good alternative for carrots, bamboo, charcoal.

OP
methylenewhite

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
Question: does it matter if the egg white is raw or cooked? There used to be a concern about raw egg white limiting B12 absorption I think, but not sure.

murdoc

I think most enzymes are destroyed by heat....
by the way I have read that some animals use Lysozyme to break down bacteria and
use them as food source. so it makes perfectly sense that Lysozyme degrades endotoxin.

mrchibbs

Funny...Georgi (haidut) posted a study a couple weeks ago about the benefits of egg yolks (but not egg whites) for protecting against calcification.
I guess we're better off eating the whole egg.

Ania

I have been eating raw eggs for years - almost everyday. I make a shake with bananas. I add a teaspoon of powdered cocoa butter to balance pufas and a pinch of salt. It is delicious. I feel great on it. My digestion has much improved, my acid reflux disappeared, I have no gas and I believe it is helping my rheumatoid arthritis tremendously. I see no signs of biotin deficiency. From time to time I introduce a biotin supplement, but not all the time. My mom told me, that in times when she was a girl, a raw egg was a natural remedy for people who fainted. I've also read somewhere that patients, who have burnt skin heal much faster on raw eggs.

SOMO

Egg whites contain Avidin and a significant amount of Tryptophan.

The Avidin binds Biotin and can induce a Biotin deficiency.
The Tryptophan can convert to Serotonin and cause psychological and digestive problems.

That being said, if you take a Biotin supplement and take other dietary measures to reduce Tryptophan/Serotonin, then egg white might be another tool in your arsenal.

I might try drinking the egg white and see how I feel.

Inaut

I eat one whole raw egg and two yolks every morning. I like the ratio

OP
methylenewhite
Egg whites contain Avidin and a significant amount of Tryptophan.

And egg whites contain significant amount of BCAA to compete with tryptophan

5 whites of large eggs

Tryptophan 0.2 gr
leucine 1.7
isoleucine 1.1
valine 1.4

Philomath

S.Seneff

Thermal stability of high concentration lysozyme across varying pH: A Fourier Transform Infrared study

EggMatrix136F-152F.jpg

A Practical Guide to Sous Vide Cooking

SOMO

Vinny

Awesome! Thank you, @methylenewhite !

A couple of questions:

Has someone got an idea, how many eggs per day, approximately, would do the job?

What is "carrageenan treatment" mentiodned in the 1st study?
Thanks

Inaut

@Vinny I think haidut mentioned up to 4 yolks a day have decalcifying properties. I stick with 3 personally.

OP
methylenewhite
Awesome! Thank you, @methylenewhite !

A couple of questions:

Has someone got an idea, how many eggs per day, approximately, would do the job?

What is "carrageenan treatment" mentiodned in the 1st study?
Thanks

Carrageenan is used in labs to study colitis. It induces colitis, but yet approved in food industry.

Vinny

This guy says Lysozyme is not necessarily destroyed in cooking and does survive stomach acid.
There are, however, other proteins in the egg whites, that inhibit trypsin, so might be good not to overdo.
The proteins in the whites are antibacterial also.

mrchibbs

This guy says Lysozyme is not necessarily destroyed in cooking and does survive stomach acid.
There are, however, other proteins in the egg whites, that inhibit trypsin, so might be good not to overdo.
The proteins in the whites are antibacterial also.

This may imply that egg yolks are good on a daily basis, and adding some raw egg whites once a week might be helpful.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals