Egg shells

Discussion in 'Calcium' started by jaakkima, Oct 1, 2013.

1. jaakkima

jaakkima Member

Is there somewhere you all would recommend to get supplied with egg shells? I am wanting to supplement with egg shell calcium but I won't be eating eggs fast enough to supply the amount of shells for the calcium needed.
    Thanks

2. j.

j. Guest

I feel obligated to mention the existence of something called calcium alkali syndrome, which I got after supplementing with sodium bicarbonate and calcium carbonate carelessly.

3. Dan Wich

Dan Wich Member

For now, I'm happy with NOW Calcium Carbonate, but I was considering ordering Eggshellent Calcium. It's meant for pets (and pretty expensive at that), but they're pretty open that it's just ground-up pasteurized eggshells.

I'm a little concerned about milk alkali syndrome too.

4. OP
    jaakkima

jaakkima Member

Yeah, thanks for the information j.
    Though I can't say I understand it well.
    Since calcium is alkaline, would simply dosing high calcium pose some risk? I imagine there are other important factors. Then what if you're also eating a lot of salt (alkaline), for instance, while eating a lot of calcium? Would it be a concern if it were food sources?

The past few days I seem to be doing pretty well on just OJ, cheese, gelatin and beef. Enough cheese for at least 2-3g calcium, and some salt to balance the liquid of the OJ. I am actually feeling pretty great.

5. j.

j. Guest

I read an article yesterday that said that few people get milk alkali syndrome. I think they found 60 people who had high calcium carbonate consumption, but only like 3 people got it. Also, watching urine PH maybe could be a guide. This is a just guess though, based on cases I read where people with the syndrome had high urine PH shortly after admission to a hospital or ER.

6. Dean

Dean Member

Dan, did you ever give this calcium supplement a try? One "woof" means yes, two "woofs," I'll take as a negative.

7. Dan Wich

Dan Wich Member

Nope, I ended up holding out for Farmer's Organic Foods' eggshell calcium to come back in stock, only to finally give up and make my own.

I'll give you half a growly-grumble, it's the best I can do.

8. Dean

Dean Member

LOL..ok thanks, Dan. I went ahead and ordered it. I'll report back on it...unless I'm too busy chasing cars.

9. Giraffe

Giraffe Member

Too much eggshell powder?

[​IMG]

10. Dean

Dean Member

well, I'm giving this Eggshellent stuff a go. When I stir it into liquid, however, it clumps up big time. Is that going to be a problem for absorption purposes? Should I just be shooting it down dry instead?

11. tara

tara Member

It's not very soluble, but I think Peat has said that because it spends a long time going through the gut, you get to absorb useful amounts. I usually mix my oyster shell with a little water. I don't see any benefit in taking it completely dry. If you mix it in with acidy drink I guess it may start to react a little before it gets into you. Don't know if that matters.