Egg Shell Calcium Nutrition Data

NommyWommy

Hi I am trying to find out how much calcium in mg is contained in egg shell calcium and I am getting conflicting reports. The study at http://ps.oxfordjournals.org/content/79/12/1833.full.pdf says there is about 400mg per gram which agrees with this from another site (Whole Bone Alternatives: When and How to Use Them in a Raw Fed Cat's Diet - CatCentric):

One teaspoon of eggshell powder (finely ground) weighs 6.1g.
The eggshell is 97% calcium carbonate.
Calcium carbonate is 40% elemental calcium.

6.10g
X 97% calcium carbonate
= 5.93g of calcium carbonate
X 40% elemental calcium
= 2.37g of elemental calcium per teaspoon
(2,366.8mg of elemental calcium per teaspoon)
X 1/2 teaspoon
= 1,183.4mg elemental calcium per 1/2 teaspoon in eggshell powder

So by dividing 2.4 grams by 6 you get 0.4 = 400mg per gram.

I have read online and on this forum that one teaspoon is equal to 900mg but from the study and the above calculation this is way out?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Ben

ravster02

900mg isn't possible. The eggshell powder I use has 370mg of calcium per 1gram.

35-40% is more accurate.

OP
N

NommyWommy

Thanks ravster02 what do you mean by 35-40% ? So a teaspoon would be 2.4g?

Thanks again

OP
N

NommyWommy

Thank you for ask your replies that has answered my question.

John Frusciante do you mind telling the good effects you get from the calcium?

Thank you

Ben

tara

I have read online and on this forum that one teaspoon is equal to 900mg but from the study and the above calculation this is way out?
Maybe there are variations in how many grams you can fit in a tsp depending on how fine it is ground, and this accounts for the discrepancy? So maybe 900mg in less than 3g in a less densely powdered and settled tsp?

RealNeat

While researching (commercial) egg shells to see if there is any reason i should be washing them before consumption I found this claim made on Pete and Gerrys Organic Eggs website

"Due to FDA regulations and food safety requirements, we must wash our eggs before our consumers can receive them. We use a light, organic approved soap to wash our egg shells. After the eggs are washed, they are sanitized with a mild chlorine solution. Our quality assurance team monitors critical control points like wash- and rinse-water temperature, detergent levels, etc. This does remove the cuticle (or bloom) from the egg which is a natural protective coating, but we must wash them per FDA requirements." - Frequently Asked Questions | Pete and Gerry's Organic Eggs

There was some worry that mineral oil was used to coat the eggs to prevent contamination after washing them (such a stupid American producer practice that the rest of the world laughs at us for). However that no longer seems to be the case as a result of faster turnover of eggs.

I would however still wash the eggs before boiling as whatever things they use are still probably on there. They should be using a solution that is warmer than the egg temperature to prevent absorption into the egg itself. Seems God only knows if they do...

Maybe some enlightened human can get the specifics of the detergents they use.

Warning... graphic descriptions ahead:

Another interesting thing I learned is that male chicks are killed in rather brutal ways as they are not needed in the breed that produces good layers. That i already knew, but what I read next is what concerned me, the company mentioned above and Unilever, who I refer to as the devil horn company (as "U" is often their symbol on products, most of which are absolute garbage) are planning on developing technologies that can choose gender in the egg...

"Germany, the Netherlands, and the European Union, in partnership with the hatchery parent companies, are providing financial support to various university research efforts occurring in Europe.  There are several in-egg technologies to sex the eggs, which are rapidly progressing in testing and we expect some of them to be in widespread use in the coming few years. We maintain contact with researchers at the University of Leipzig, Germany and Project In Ovo in the Netherlands and plan to offer financial support to them. Their work is focused on commercializing a prototype in-egg sexing technique.

In addition to working with researchers, we are working to partner with non-profits such as Compassion in World Farming to support their efforts around this issue.  Finally, we are partnering with Unilever, who has taken a leadership role on this issue, to coordinate efforts and bring positive change to the U.S.  We hope to hold a summit later this year with key U.S. players to ensure that we are all doing everything we can on the issue.  Commercializing the technology and bringing it to the U.S. is going to require a team effort and we are taking a leadership role in this effort."

Im all for saving male chicks, but at what cost to the genetic integrity of these animals and the people who consume them...?

Nancy Cole

While researching (commercial) egg shells to see if there is any reason i should be washing them before consumption I found this claim made on Pete and Gerrys Organic Eggs website

"Due to FDA regulations and food safety requirements, we must wash our eggs before our consumers can receive them. We use a light, organic approved soap to wash our egg shells. After the eggs are washed, they are sanitized with a mild chlorine solution. Our quality assurance team monitors critical control points like wash- and rinse-water temperature, detergent levels, etc. This does remove the cuticle (or bloom) from the egg which is a natural protective coating, but we must wash them per FDA requirements." - Frequently Asked Questions | Pete and Gerry's Organic Eggs

There was some worry that mineral oil was used to coat the eggs to prevent contamination after washing them (such a stupid American producer practice that the rest of the world laughs at us for). However that no longer seems to be the case as a result of faster turnover of eggs.

I would however still wash the eggs before boiling as whatever things they use are still probably on there. They should be using a solution that is warmer than the egg temperature to prevent absorption into the egg itself. Seems God only knows if they do...

Maybe some enlightened human can get the specifics of the detergents they use.

Warning... graphic descriptions ahead:

Another interesting thing I learned is that male chicks are killed in rather brutal ways as they are not needed in the breed that produces good layers. That i already knew, but what I read next is what concerned me, the company mentioned above and Unilever, who I refer to as the devil horn company (as "U" is often their symbol on products, most of which are absolute garbage) are planning on developing technologies that can choose gender in the egg...

"Germany, the Netherlands, and the European Union, in partnership with the hatchery parent companies, are providing financial support to various university research efforts occurring in Europe.  There are several in-egg technologies to sex the eggs, which are rapidly progressing in testing and we expect some of them to be in widespread use in the coming few years. We maintain contact with researchers at the University of Leipzig, Germany and Project In Ovo in the Netherlands and plan to offer financial support to them. Their work is focused on commercializing a prototype in-egg sexing technique.

In addition to working with researchers, we are working to partner with non-profits such as Compassion in World Farming to support their efforts around this issue.  Finally, we are partnering with Unilever, who has taken a leadership role on this issue, to coordinate efforts and bring positive change to the U.S.  We hope to hold a summit later this year with key U.S. players to ensure that we are all doing everything we can on the issue.  Commercializing the technology and bringing it to the U.S. is going to require a team effort and we are taking a leadership role in this effort."

Im all for saving male chicks, but at what cost to the genetic integrity of these animals and the people who consume them...?
FDA ? lol This is what I have done myself to obtain calcium from eggshells for the past four years and I have not gotten sick or died.
I rinse off the eggshells and put them to dry. Once I have a good amount, I bake them in the oven for 10 min at 200 degrees. Once they cool off, I pulverize them in a blender at the finest grit possible. Then I put the calcium powder in a gelatin capsule size 00. The brand I use is Capsuline which is made of Bovine Gelatin and purified water. I take two of those a day after lunch and dinner. For those concerned about stomach upset, my past hx included duodenal and peptic ulcers. I came across Dr. Ray Peat and followed his knowledge and wisdom and within a short time I was cured of them and never to return again. I am not much of a milk drinker so in addition to the eggshells I do eat lots of real cheese, sour cream (Daisy's) and Hagen Daz (vanilla and coffee ice cream).

RealNeat

FDA ? lol This is what I have done myself to obtain calcium from eggshells for the past four years and I have not gotten sick or died.
I rinse off the eggshells and put them to dry. Once I have a good amount, I bake them in the oven for 10 min at 200 degrees. Once they cool off, I pulverize them in a blender at the finest grit possible. Then I put the calcium powder in a gelatin capsule size 00. The brand I use is Capsuline which is made of Bovine Gelatin and purified water. I take two of those a day after lunch and dinner. For those concerned about stomach upset, my past hx included duodenal and peptic ulcers. I came across Dr. Ray Peat and followed his knowledge and wisdom and within a short time I was cured of them and never to return again. I am not much of a milk drinker so in addition to the eggshells I do eat lots of real cheese, sour cream (Daisy's) and Hagen Daz (vanilla and coffee ice cream).
I'm confused by your comment. I understand your process, but what do you mean "fda lol"? ... I'm just stating that there may be industrial coatings or disinfectants on the egg shell that need to be washed off.

Nancy Cole

I'm confused by your comment. I understand your process, but what do you mean "fda lol"? ... I'm just stating that there may be industrial coatings or disinfectants on the egg shell that need to be washed off.
If that's your concern then H2O works very well, and there's a lot more things to ponder about in what is in our food and in our environment. The FDA lol comment is my sarcasm in reference to a useless organization that the Empire has created to control and manipulate Americans, and make them believe that the Empire has their best interests at heart.

Anyone know whether "eggshell membrane powder", wherein the thin membrane is dried & powderized along with the shell, differs greatly in mineral content than pure shell? I wouldn't imagine so, but there are some selling this stuff on Etsy & I wanna make sure.

Also, is it better that the shells are baked, or not? & why?...

Back
Top Bottom