Efficacy of Ginger Supplementation in Relieving Persistent Hypothyroid Symptoms in Patients with Controlled Primary Hypothyroidism

golder

‘Gin gins’ after a meal are so tasty. No idea how many you would need to make it a decent size of ginger though?

Attachments

• 1F8FDB63-01F1-4A7B-8941-412DED0F497B.jpeg
    1F8FDB63-01F1-4A7B-8941-412DED0F497B.jpeg
    767 KB · Views: 15

Old Irenaeus

I love to eat candied ginger at the end of meals and buy it on subscription. I wonder how much would be too much. It's easy to eat several pieces, which would be the equivalent of a little section of ginger root.
I like candied ginger as well. I wonder if it helps.

David PS

Good point. These cases that David posted seem very rare though. Maybe the powder was contaminated, who knows. But yeah, good reminder.

Thank you for your comments. I had not considered that the powder was contaminated. It is a good thought.

By way of analogy, I was thinking (but I did not state) about people who start taking T3, T4 or a combination of the two. The typical advice is to increase the dose of T3/T4 slowly over weeks and months to find the minimum effective dose and thereby a avoid thyroiditis and hyperthyroidism.

Apparently, ginger stimulates the thyroid. I think that it is rare that someone would change from not having any ginger in their diet to including a daily tablespoon full ginger powder. But, ginger can be troublesome especially when making a large abrupt change in the amount used on a daily basis. It is easy to overdo ginger when taking capsules that lack taste or masking the taste with honey.

Use ginger cautiously. Use it gingerly. (pun intended)

Last edited:

Makrosky

Thank you for your comments. I had not considered that the powder as contaminated. It is a good thought.

By way of analogy, I was thinking (but I did not state) about people who start taking T3, T4 or a combination of the two. The typical advice is to increase the dose of T3/T4 slowly over weeks and months to find the minimum effective dose and thereby a avoid thyroiditis and hyperthyroidism.

Apparently, ginger stimulates the thyroid. I think that it is rare that someone would change from not having any ginger in their diet to including a daily tablespoon full ginger powder. But, ginger can be troublesome especially when making abrupt change the amount used on a daily basis. It is easy to overdo when taking capsules that lack taste or masking the taste with homey.

Use it cautiously. (Use it gingerly)
One of the articles talks about a teaspoon, not tablespoon. Maybe that is still a lot. I say it here for the record.

By the way, I saw today some blood test results that I did last year (I completely forgot about them) and my TSH was 0.5. Impressive. And I can say I was (still am) under lots of negative stress impacting my life and not in a very good shape. Definitely quite far from being optimal. I say this so people don't use low TSH as a marker of good health. I have had higher TSH numbers in life and felt much healthier.

OP
Sefton10

Sefton10

Good point. These cases that David posted seem very rare though. Maybe the powder was contaminated, who knows. But yeah, good reminder.
I think a lot of the powders come from China too. I tend to get Peruvian if I can.

FitnessMike

David PS

any source that confirms that?
It appears from the 2 articles that I cited above that ginger stimulates thyroid. The title of this thread suggests the same.

I am just cautioning against over stimulation.

Vanset

definitely be careful with ginger. start small. the only other root that i can think of that stimulates thyroid (and actually increases both t3 and t4) is ashwagandha, but you really don't want to overdo it. i got hyper symptoms from ash and both ash and ginger have some 5-ht signaling properties. roots are overall shady

koky

wouldn't candied ginger, which has been cooked be less effective than raw?

PeskyPeater

Nice find! I think the effect come from the lipophilic bioactives in the root that are able to modulate serotonin and thereby reducing estrogenic effects.

koky

candied is also made from roots, but probably less bioactive when cooked - is that what you mean/

PeskyPeater

candied is also made from roots, but probably less bioactive when cooked - is that what you mean/
Oh with heat treatment the gingerols can be transformed into shogaols changing its bioactive profile.

edit: It doesnt seem to matter much when the 6 - 8-gingerol and 10-gingerol convert to 8 & 10 shogaols, they don't lose their serotonin 5HT1A partial agonistic affinity much. Actually it impreves it somewhat -source

Last edited:

FitnessMike

Nice find! I think the effect come from the lipophilic bioactives in the root that are able to modulate serotonin and thereby reducing estrogenic effects.

Normally coffee cause diarrhea but today i took half a tea spoon of dried ginger in the morning, and bowels were having a more solid structure, its just one day but still

BlahtyBlah

Thank you for your comments. I had not considered that the powder was contaminated. It is a good thought.

Apparently, ginger stimulates the thyroid. I think that it is rare that someone would change from not having any ginger in their diet to including a daily tablespoon full ginger powder. But, ginger can be troublesome especially when making a large abrupt change in the amount used on a daily basis. It is easy to overdo ginger when taking capsules that lack taste or masking the taste with honey.

Use ginger cautiously. Use it gingerly. (pun intended)

There are not very common occurrences. They seem to be extremely rare. In the first report it said she was consuming 1 tsp of ground ginger every night in her tea, with honey prior to her emergency. It then says a year or so after, she had another issue when she ate ginger candy. Ginger candy is even less potent than ground ginger. So, this seems to suggest that 1) she is extremely sensative, which then likely seems to indicate that it 2) is some king allergy to ginger. Because even the 1 tsp dose of the ground ginger sounds like a lot, but it really isn't. Most culture that uses ginger heavily put far more than that into their soups and sauces made with ginger. Certain curries which people eat almost daily in certain cultures have more ginger than. And certainly, more than the ginger candy. I would say most people shouldn't be afraid at using large doses of that nature. It is extremely rare, and I'd liken it to how some people have peanut allergies or egg allergies, despite the vast majority of people being able to handle them fine. If someone is that concerned about ginger, maybe start with a very small amount and then work up slowly to desired amount. That way, if it is an issue, it will be noticed before the health issue is far more pronounced from larger doses (because that report also says the woman experienced the issues from the ginger candy a year later in milder form). I heavily consume ginger, more than this, and not once had an issue (and thyroid issues run in my family). Of course, that is assuming it is the ginger itself and not some contaminant, which could very much be possible, since some spices are high in them. Quality spices that are lower in them probably is worth doing.

Inaut

Bump.

Ginger and clove tea is becoming my favourite these days. Good to drink in the morning :)

supercoolguy

Just grate some raw root on a carrot salad, it will put hairs on your chest ?

I tend to put it in teas or hot water too then just chew a couple of bits afterwards.
Yup. My fav combo. Clean, Shredded Length Ways, Make 5 days worth, serve in between meals and you will see.
Mostly White carrots (less carotene). Add a Shot of Vinegar, Fresh Grated Ginger & EVOO. The Best. :woo

oxphoser

Ginger led to significant improvements in the mean scores of the weight gain, cold intolerance, constipation, dry skin, appetite, memory loss, concentration disturbance, and feeling giddy or dizzy domains (P < 0.001).

Ginger supplementation also led to a significant decrease in body weight, body mass index, waist circumference, serum TSH, FBS, TG, and TChol levels compared to the placebo. In summary according to preliminary results of this study, ginger supplementation can help relieve persistent hypothyroid symptoms.

They took 500 mg (about 1/4 teaspoon) twice a day. It looks like it lowered their TSH about 1 point on average.

I estimate that 1/4 teaspoon dry ginger is the equivalent of 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger.

Back
Top Bottom