Effects of transdermal application of DHEA on the levels of steroids, gonadotropins and lipids in men

ReSTART

In order to ascertain the kinetics of absorption and metabolism of transdermally administered dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), 10 men 29-72 years old (mean 52.4+/-14.5) received 50 mg DHEA/day in a gel applied onto the skin of the abdomen for 5 consecutive days. The objective was to establish the extent to which DHEA influences the levels of gonadotropins, sex hormone-binding globulin and lipids. It was found that DHEA is well absorbed and rapidly metabolized to its sulfate (DHEAS), androstenedione, and consequently to testosterone and estradiol. The DHEA levels that markedly increased after the first doses gradually declined already during the application, and this decline proceeded even after it was discontinued, reaching levels significantly lower than the original ones. On the other hand, the levels of DHEA metabolites (with the exception of DHEAS) rose during the application and reached values significantly higher than the basal ones within 5 weeks. This effect was accompanied by significantly decreased levels of LH. The serum levels of lipids, namely of cholesterol (both HDL and LDL cholesterol), triglycerides, apolipoproteins A-I and B and lipoprotein(a) after DHEA application were not changed significantly, and the atherogenic index (AI) remained unaltered. However, some correlations between hormones and lipids were found. Negative correlations concerned the following indices: DHEA/Lp(a); DHEAS/cholesterol; DHEA, DHEAS, testosterone/TG; testosterone/AI. On the other hand, LH, FSH/cholesterol, FSH, SHBG/LDL cholesterol, FSH/Apo B, Lp(a) correlated positively. It can be concluded that transdermal short-time application of DHEA results in a decrease of endogenous DHEA after finishing the treatment, with a parallel marked increase in the levels of sex hormones. Using this application protocol, exogenous DHEA neither altered the lipid spectrum, nor did it influence the atherogenic index.

golder

How do you feel about topical Pansterone/Cortinon application in light of this study? How do you think this equates to oral administration? Thanks for the post.

Vajra

Yeah, I find this a little worrying, given there's plenty of people here taking DHEA. I've been thinking of supplementing it too, but I wonder how one could avoid any kind of drop below baseline. A lot of studies on DHEA, including this one, use a high dose of 50mg+, which could provide context for estrogen-raising effects, but I'm not sure if the dose has much to do with any markers dropping after discontinuation.
dhea-hormone-results.png

tallglass13

I experimented with 5 mg, and still got negative effects. I wish it worked well on me. DHT and progesterone are the only things working . Even raw test-base does not make me feel good at 3-5mgs.

Vajra

As for the gonadotropins, for LH, you can point to the increase in E2 and probably testosterone. And FSH remained normal, which is nice. So I do think a dose <15mg or the addition of progesterone would see more positive results.
DHEA dropped quite significantly but DHEA-S increased - is it therefore not an issue, considering downstream products continue to elevate? That's my main question.
Also, DHEA (not DHEA-S) seems to be an uncommon blood test. Is there like a specific time/way to measure it or something?
I experimented with 5 mg, and still got negative effects. I wish it worked well on me. DHT and progesterone are the only things working . Even raw test-base does not make me feel good at 3-5mgs.
What do you think it did to you? Did you try taking it with progesterone or anything else?

Last edited:

tallglass13

As for the gonadotropins, for LH, you can point to the increase in E2 and probably testosterone. And FSH remained normal, which is nice. So I do think a dose <15mg or the addition of progesterone would see more positive results.
DHEA dropped quite significantly but DHEA-S increased - is it therefore not an issue, considering downstream products continue to elevate? That's my main question.
Also, DHEA (not DHEA-S) seems to be an uncommon blood test. Is there like a specific time/way to measure it or something?

What do you think it did to you? Did you try taking it with progesterone or anything else?
Oh, I should have mentioned I was using Cortinon... I actually get a very puffy face and other physical symptoms when using DHEA. A couple of years ago when pan sterone first came out when it was in DMSO very powerful, just a couple of drops on the testicles. I had some very good positive effects including libido.. but I had gained a lot of weight. My badge photo ID, I look like a different person compared to the year before. DMSO probably made it a lot more powerful, but as I continue to experiment every time I bring back DHEA, the same thing happens. I'm very susceptible to aromatization. DHT and progesterone are the only steroids I can use.

Texon

Oh, I should have mentioned I was using Cortinon... I actually get a very puffy face and other physical symptoms when using DHEA. A couple of years ago when pan sterone first came out when it was in DMSO very powerful, just a couple of drops on the testicles. I had some very good positive effects including libido.. but I had gained a lot of weight. My badge photo ID, I look like a different person compared to the year before. DMSO probably made it a lot more powerful, but as I continue to experiment every time I bring back DHEA, the same thing happens. I'm very susceptible to aromatization. DHT and progesterone are the only steroids I can use.
You might want to try a topical product such as twist 25. Completely better effect for me. No anxiety from higher doses etc. Jack Kruse apparently uses 150 mgs per day of a topical dhea.

Texon

Here's an excerpt from one of Haidut's comments below...

Well, topical testosterone converts mostly into DHT and so does DHEA. Multiple human and animal studies have demonstrated that both of these interventions have potent anti-aging effects and the proposed mechanisms of both is the increase in androgenic tone. No increase in estrogenic tone was observed as a result of any of those interventions. In addition, the increase in DHT from the treatments has anti-estrogenic effects of its own. I will let my readers draw their own conclusions if androgens or estrogens are the true anti-aging agents. To me at least, the evidence is quite clear

Jessie

Here's an excerpt from one of Haidut's comments below...

Well, topical testosterone converts mostly into DHT and so does DHEA. Multiple human and animal studies have demonstrated that both of these interventions have potent anti-aging effects and the proposed mechanisms of both is the increase in androgenic tone. No increase in estrogenic tone was observed as a result of any of those interventions. In addition, the increase in DHT from the treatments has anti-estrogenic effects of its own. I will let my readers draw their own conclusions if androgens or estrogens are the true anti-aging agents. To me at least, the evidence is quite clear
The dose is what makes it. Problem is, at least for me, when Haidut switched his solvents from DMSO to SFA esters the products don't work even remotely as well when used topically, especially the steroids. Using 5-10mgs of DHEA topically does nothing for me, literally nothing. Nothing bad, but nothing good either.

If you want to use them in low dosages, the DMSO carrier is important for potentiating their effects. Unless you make your own solution with DMSO, taking large dosages orally is the only way to go, which for most males will come with estrogenic side effects.

Jessie

I experimented with 5 mg, and still got negative effects. I wish it worked well on me. DHT and progesterone are the only things working .
I agree DHT is probably the best in far as results for me too. I've seen individuals claim to feel bad on it, like TheBeard. But it never fails that every single individual responding poorly to DHT has had past experiences with nuking their E2 using aromatase inhibitors.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals