Effects Of SFA, PUFA, MUFA, And CH On Glucose-Insulin Homeostasis

Agent207

This is a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials, I know most of you know this type of studies are considered the gold-standard on scientific research field.

Im not gonna quote abstracts or bolded fancy picked phrases from it. Thats not the way to learn and can look biased. I'm just gonna let the study here for a joyful lecture, for that 20% who still enjoy self-research and explorate all the available info out there with an open mind, no matter the results. I've read it full and I think its worth it. Again this is for those impartial ones left in the forum, who clearly show the same criteria at analyzing all studies posted here.

Published: July 19, 2016

Effects of Saturated Fat, Polyunsaturated Fat, Monounsaturated Fat, and Carbohydrate on Glucose-Insulin Homeostasis: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Randomised Controlled Feeding Trials

tyw

Thanks for this reference ;)

I like how mitochondrial FADH2:NADH mechanics also play out in higher level feeding trials with mixed meals.

OP
A

Agent207

"Sufficient information was not available to classify subtypes of fatty acids, so our findings should be considered most relevant to effects of total dietary SFA (predominantly palmitic acid), total PUFA (predominantly linoleic acid), total MUFA (almost entirely oleic acid), and total carbohydrate (mostly refined starch and sugars). For instance, our results should not be extrapolated to potential effects of carbohydrate in fruit, legumes, or minimally processed whole grains."

Predominantly palmitic acid.. I wonder whether it had been other sources of SFA with shorter fatty acids had yielded better outcomes for the SFA.

Drareg

Competing interests: I have read the journal's policy and the authors of this manuscript have the following competing interests: DM reports ad hoc honoraria or consulting from Boston Heart Diagnostics, Haas Avocado Board, Astra Zeneca, GOED, DSM, and Life Sciences Research Organization; chapter royalties from UpToDate; and scientific advisory board, Elysium Health. Harvard University has been assigned patent US8889739 B2, listing DM as one of three co-inventors, for use of trans-palmitoleic acid in identifying and treating metabolic disease. RM and JHYW received research support from Unilever R&D (project reference number MA-2015-01161) for work on fatty acid biomarkers and incident cardiometabolic disea