Effects Of Fruit On Your Mental State

ursidae

If anyone has observed how fruit affects their state of mind compared to well tolerated starches, please share

Uselis

I found somewhat ok apple juice from concentrate (so not strictly fruit) that immediately calms me down. I am mellow and willing to engage in conversations with my mom more.

Well cooked potatoes calms me down a lot as well and makes me warm. However half hour later I am borderline submissive, melancholic and anxious. Urge to self isolate occurs as well.

Inaut

I start my mornings off with OJ, a large kiwi and one cactus fruit. I feel good for the most part. An hour or so later I follow up with milk/casein/maple syrup/heavy cream.

OP
U

ursidae

I found somewhat ok apple juice from concentrate (so not strictly fruit) that immediately calms me down. I am mellow and willing to engage in conversations with my mom more.

Well cooked potatoes calms me down a lot as well and makes me warm. However half hour later I am borderline submissive, melancholic and anxious. Urge to self isolate occurs as well.
Interesting, thanks for sharing
Do you think this response has something to do with blood sugar levels?

PaRa

IME

Well cooked starches like potatoes or white rice or oatmeal : really warming, high euphoria and energy for like 30min-1h but crashing after

fruits : not really warming (although it is with dried pineapple) not a lot euphoric, more satisfied and calm, not crashing after, even after binging on dried pineapple and dates paste like today (like 350g carbs in a row at lunch, with low fat dairies)no crash or whatever, just relaxing and calm

i find that it is easier to deal with energy lvl and hunger without starches, like 2hours after the meal you can be eating but if It was starches and you don’t eat you will be low energy

Dutchie

Decided to have some low oxalate fruit a couple of days ago.......bad decision.

For 2 days I'd been dealing with intense emotions, either being a major angerfuelled person or feeling weepy....I guess in a submissive,learned helplessness way.
On top of it,I got this huge red/purplish rash on my lower leg (it looks like bloodvessels underneath the skin have bursted).

The emotions-on-steroids feelings brougth me back to my time eating a Peat inspired diet years ago.
Well lesson learned.....it's not for me! I like myself better as a calm,confident,strong person,how I've been living the last couple of years.

gately

Too much fruit has always caused me manic thoughts and excessive emotionality. I remember Aajonus Vonderplaintz thought the same thing occurred in most of his clients. He claimed very few people would feel optimal on a high fruit diet, and that small amounts of fruit were best consumed with some form of fat.

I take everything he said with a heavy dose of salt. But I’ve noticed the trend as well. Very few people seem suited to consume fruit based diets, even when supplemented with nutrient rich foods and fats. Just my two cents.

OP
U

ursidae

Decided to have some low oxalate fruit a couple of days ago.......bad decision.

For 2 days I'd been dealing with intense emotions, either being a major angerfuelled person or feeling weepy....I guess in a submissive,learned helplessness way.
On top of it,I got this huge red/purplish rash on my lower leg (it looks like bloodvessels underneath the skin have bursted).

The emotions-on-steroids feelings brougth me back to my time eating a Peat inspired diet years ago.
Well lesson learned.....it's not for me! I like myself better as a calm,confident,strong person,how I've been living the last couple of years.
it is interfering with my emotions too and not in the way that endotoxin and blood sugar crashes from starch do. My head is clear immediately after consuming starch.
Do you find fruit to be addictive? It feels wrong to have something this enjoyable as a staple, feeling like a heroin addict

Dutchie

it is interfering with my emotions too and not in the way that endotoxin and blood sugar crashes from starch do. My head is clear immediately after consuming starch.
Do you find fruit to be addictive? It feels wrong to have something this enjoyable as a staple, feeling like a heroin addict

Yes....during these 2 days I wanted more fruit, thankfully I didn't cave.
It's fructose that has this highly addictive,yet disruptive effect on me.
I know dairy has opoids, in my case fructose has an opoid effect on me (dairy to a much lesser extend)

Dutchie

Too much fruit has always caused me manic thoughts and excessive emotionality. I remember Aajonus Vonderplaintz thought the same thing occurred in most of his clients. He claimed very few people would feel optimal on a high fruit diet, and that small amounts of fruit were best consumed with some form of fat.

I take everything he said with a heavy dose of salt. But I’ve noticed the trend as well. Very few people seem suited to consume fruit based diets, even when supplemented with nutrient rich foods and fats. Just my two cents.

You're speaking of a high fruit diet, I only had about 150 grams of fruit.
Apparently also too high for me

gately

You're speaking of a high fruit diet, I only had about 150 grams of fruit.
Apparently also too high for me
Yeah, I was speaking generally “high.” I will say that ANY amount of fruit juice will cause me issues, and whole fruit needs to be super limited for me to feel optimal, and again, paired with some fat.

Berries and other low sugar fruits seem fine for me and most people.

So I think it’s obviously a blood sugar issue, at least in my case.

But look, I’m Russian and Irish. I can’t imagine any of my ancestors were consuming much fruit beyond berries, or occasional apples or whatever in warm seasons. This isn’t to say we must follow an ancestral diet, just a hypothesis for why I don’t respond well to high fruit consumption. Maybe people with more tropical ancestry handle high-sugar tropical fruits better?

I’ll also say that the sicker I’ve been overall, the less fruit I tolerate. And this is a trend I’ve noticed for most chronically ill people. Though there’s obvious exceptions.

Contrary to the overwhelming opinion around here, I don’t think high fruit consumption is optimal. This forum is literally filled with people over the years who fruit didn’t work for, regardless of what they tried to make it work, and felt much better with starch, usually combined with fat.

Maybe not so interesting, but my tolerance for sugar is fine. Just not fruit. Anything more than, say, a cup of blueberries a day and I start to feel wonky in the head.

I can also say from my limited experience with helping others, that fast oxidizers seem to react the worst to high sugar fruit.

Energizer

Here in Oregon we have a lot of berries. So many berries. Oranges are imported from California and Mexico. Tropical fruits imported from Mexico, Central and South America so they are often not fresh by the time they get here. So I usually have apple juice, berries for my fruit. Sadly, I don't consume all that much fruit in my diet normally other than those. I generally buy a big frozen bag of blueberries and raspberries, cheap, and that lasts me for a few days. Organic grapes sometimes. Watermelon very occasionally because most of the time I buy it it does not taste ripe and ends up in the trash. I generally do well with the berries and grapes. I never feel great after a starchy meal like potatoes or rice, just makes me sleepy.

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

If anyone has observed how fruit affects their state of mind compared to well tolerated starches, please share

Since ditching starch, and using sugar and fruit only, mood is better, and energy is better. A lot more positive. It was noticeable quickly this time.

Uselis

Interesting, thanks for sharing
Do you think this response has something to do with blood sugar levels?

I think so. It's like drinking caffeine on empty stomach. Takes you high quick but not so fun 10 - 15min after.

Problem with fruits is I must sip juice almost every half hour otherwise crash is also unpleasant. I was able to get away with mellons when outside was very hot.

Jessie

I do better with some fruits and worse with others. I do really good with cooked pears. Cooking them with some agave and cinnamon always warms me up and I feel great eating it. However, other fruits, like watermelon, always give me a stress response when eating it. I'll get cold in my extremities and immediately need to urinate.

I ate a boiled potato tonight, which I can tolerate pretty well provided I don't overdo it. They give me a similar warm feeling, but even when I tolerate starch well it tend to make me drowsy an hour or so after eating it. I assume it's because my blood sugar dips, but I don't really know for sure. Most of the time I prefer well tolerated fruits to the starches. But they need to be either cooked, dried, extremely ripe, or all the above.

Dutchie

@gately I was thinking the same,that seeing where I'm from,I'm probably not made for fruit either. Potatos are more a standard staple around here. Tried them years ago but weren't a good fit either.
I would've tried berries,but since they're high in oxalates they're not an option.
I feel done with the fruit now, I hope I can get my leg back to normal again.

I guess,I'm destined to remain lowcarb if I want to feel and function normally.....too bad it doesn't magically let me lose my bellyfat,like it does for most.

snacks

Rostov-on-Don, Russia/Southern United States
Yeah, I was speaking generally “high.” I will say that ANY amount of fruit juice will cause me issues, and whole fruit needs to be super limited for me to feel optimal, and again, paired with some fat.

Berries and other low sugar fruits seem fine for me and most people.

So I think it’s obviously a blood sugar issue, at least in my case.

But look, I’m Russian and Irish. I can’t imagine any of my ancestors were consuming much fruit beyond berries, or occasional apples or whatever in warm seasons. This isn’t to say we must follow an ancestral diet, just a hypothesis for why I don’t respond well to high fruit consumption. Maybe people with more tropical ancestry handle high-sugar tropical fruits better?

I’ll also say that the sicker I’ve been overall, the less fruit I tolerate. And this is a trend I’ve noticed for most chronically ill people. Though there’s obvious exceptions.

Contrary to the overwhelming opinion around here, I don’t think high fruit consumption is optimal. This forum is literally filled with people over the years who fruit didn’t work for, regardless of what they tried to make it work, and felt much better with starch, usually combined with fat.

Maybe not so interesting, but my tolerance for sugar is fine. Just not fruit. Anything more than, say, a cup of blueberries a day and I start to feel wonky in the head.

I can also say from my limited experience with helping others, that fast oxidizers seem to react the worst to high sugar fruit.

I think part of the problem is that people cast too wide a net when they talk about fruit or at best have small nuances like high/low oxolate. In my case (I'm Russian, Caucasian and Danish if it matters) I do fine with most berries and frequently crave lemons and limes but any other fruit has me feeling weird in the head or makes me gain fat. The unconditional love for fruit on this form is one of the two things on this forum that give me pause with the other being the mexicoke meme.

PaRa

@gately I was thinking the same,that seeing where I'm from,I'm probably not made for fruit either. Potatos are more a standard staple around here. Tried them years ago but weren't a good fit either.
I would've tried berries,but since they're high in oxalates they're not an option.

I guess,I'm destined to remain lowcarb if I want to feel and function normally.....too bad it doesn't magically let me lose my bellyfat,like it does for most.

CICO first for your bellyfat
Keto carni vegan peating are just means to make things easier for a given person but it’s not because you are low carb and not low fat that you CAN’T loose weight

About oxalates,

White rice and blueberries apricot raisins papaya mangoes bananas guava OJ, pineapple (a little Ox richer), honey and maple syrup are good low oxalates options

Pairing with dairies makes it even easier

Tbh I have troubles with oxalates and berries (even those considered like higher ox as raspberries strawberries )didn’t bother me at all, but figs dates and kiwis did

Dutchie

@PaRa the cico theory, I don't buy it. However I don't eat an insane amount of calories.

Yes,I've researched in the online oxalate group which fruits are low.
I know it must come as a shock to some people here,but fruit does not work for everyone.

gately

Just out of curiosity, how do you handle sugar? Obviously if you're benefiting from low-carb, I don't want to dissuade you. I do not think low-carb diets are inherently unhealthy like most on here people seem to think. (In fact, I personally feel optimal with a relatively low-carb diet, around 150 grams of net carbs, and wish I could handle going lower to 72 grams for all the other benefits). But I handle sugar much better than I handle fruit, though I still try keep my consumption on the low end.

I think part of the problem is that people cast too wide a net when they talk about fruit or at best have small nuances like high/low oxolate. In my case (I'm Russian, Caucasian and Danish if it matters) I do fine with most berries and frequently crave lemons and limes but any other fruit has me feeling weird in the head or makes me gain fat. The unconditional love for fruit on this form is one of the two things on this forum that give me pause with the other being the mexicoke meme.
I myself have wild blueberries often and enjoy having fresh lime/lemon with my water once a day.

The high fruit/sugar consumption on this forum used to confound me. It wasn't that it offended some outdated sensibility about nutrition, but that having been in the trenches with the extremely (and often mysteriously) sick for a decade, I can it say it plainly makes most chronically sick people much, much worse--including myself. But then I'd come across an anecdote, often on this forum, of someone who it would resolutely work for. (Typically this was someone with a metabolic or hormonal issue, and not someone with, say, an autoimmune disorder.) So I began researching it more. This is how it seems to me now: that for whatever reason, some people do better with starches as a staple, and some do better with fruit as a staple, and some people are so damaged they need to eschew carbohydrates to whatever degree is needed (anywhere from zero-carb to roughly 72 net grams) to restore their health. I now think figuring out your optimal carbohydrate source and intake to be the most important aspect of any restorative-healing diet. Even Aajonus, who I mentioned above, would admit a few of his clients handled high fruit consumption very well. There's just no one-sized fits all approach, despite the mantra of fruit repeated here. While the mexicoke meme (and honestly a whole host of peatisms) irks me as well, I do love the sense of self-experimentation and openness to new ideas that drives the heart of this forum.