Effects Of Consuming Xylitol On Gut Microbiota And Lipid Metabolism In Mice

Seleniodine

Effects of Consuming Xylitol on Gut Microbiota and Lipid Metabolism in Mice

This study shows that Xylitol has a direct effect on Bacteroidetes phylum.

"Relative to mice not fed xylitol, the addition of medium-dose xylitol to a regular and HFD in experimental mice reduced the abundance of fecal Bacteroidetes phylum and the genus Barnesiella, whereas the abundance of Firmicutes phylum and the genus Prevotella was increased in mice fed an HFD with medium-dose dietary xylitol. Body composition, hepatic and serum lipid parameters, oral glucose tolerance, and luminal metabolites were unaffected by xylitol consumption. In mice, 40 and 194 mg/kg body weight/day xylitol in the diet induced gradual changes in gut microbiota but not in lipid metabolism."

Attachments

• nutrients-09-00756.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 17

miki14

I bought some xylitol for oral health. I desolve a tee spoon full in the mouth and wash it down with some water after a few minutes. I get an remarkable energy boost, body temps raises, nice relaxation, digestion picks up a bit but no diarrhea or else. Xylitol has a kind of antibiotic effect on certain bacteria strains and biofilms. Xylitol also breaks down into glucose and glucose 6 posphat which can kick off glycolisis and raises NADP (not sure if this is good). It seems to be over all safe and has a delightful sweetness. Why is this stuff not rocking the peat-O-sphere?

Vinero

I use xylitol powder too, swish it in my mouth for a few minutes and then spit it out.
Works good for cleaning the teeth.

griesburner

i used it long time ago for teeth clearing, too but didnt made much difference so i stopped. But i never thought of ingesting it, cause i always read that it worked as laxative when you use too much. But now thinking again it could be useful for constipation maybe.

miki14

Xylitol raises antioxident agents like gluthathione:

Intracellular GSH (glutathione, reduced) was first converted to its oxidized form by incubation of the erythrocytes with acetylphenylhydrazine or by pretreatment with methyl phenyldiazenecarboxylate. The addition of 0.15 M xylitol was shown to be more effective than 0.15 M glucose in maintaining the levels of GSH in G6PD-deficient red cells during such oxidative challenge.

The potential use of xylitol in glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency anemia. - PubMed - NCBI

LeeLemonoil

http://www.nature.com/articles/natu...JS4NSBDptzAg==&tracking_referrer=m.spiegel.de

Trehalose, a sugar that occurs among others in most edible mushrooms, might feed bacteria responsible for severe diarrhea.

Trehalose is alleged hitherto to be a healthy, anti-ageing sugar alternative with some healthy lifespan enhancing effects. But maybe caution is necessary with These sugars, and similar things might apply to Xylitol, which undoubtedly has effects on biota

michael94

interesting. are there more promising studies or experience on xylitol?

i used it long time ago for teeth clearing, too but didnt made much difference so i stopped. But i never thought of ingesting it, cause i always read that it worked as laxative when you use too much. But now thinking again it could be useful for constipation maybe.

https://tomandjennys.com/pages/nutrition-facts

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/9808660/

These are supposed to be good ill let you know after I get some. Dr Johns makes decent candies too with xylitol and erythritol.

xylitol is not the only useful "sugar alcohol"

there is also
erythritol
maltitol
sorbitol

all are important and have different uses

Zpol

Been using Xylitol gum after meals, helps with digestion :thumbsup:

smith

Think it's safe to put it in fresh wounds to get it in the bloodstream? Likewise with other anti-bac/fung substances? Nice all-seeing eye.

Last edited:

Linbaba

Why is this stuff not rocking the peat-O-sphere?

Xylitol Affects the Intestinal Microbiota and Metabolism of Daidzein in Adult Male Mice

"However, xylitol feeding caused a clear shift in the rodent faecal microbial population from Gram-negative to Gram-positive bacteria. In human volunteers a similar shift was observed even after a single 30-g oral dose of xylitol."

From the little I have read about it (and am able to find), I keep asking myself the same thing. I was hoping it can help reduce gram negative bacteria in the gut and thus also reduce the endotoxin reactions from them.

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
Xylitol has played a important roll in restoring my digestion system to healthy, i was always bloated for years and could not digest many foods, Xylitol has helped greatly, i consume about 1/4 to 1/3 cup a day, sometimes now that i feel better i will go few weeks with out having any, i use it to make lemonade, or desserts or can just add to water, tastes and looks just like sugar, you want to start slow, maybe 1 tsp a day then up to tablespoon a day and up to 1/3 cup a day, you want to start slow because one of its excellent benefits is it loosens and increases bowl activity. I prefer the Xylitol made from Birch and Beach Tree.

Linbaba

Xylitol has played a important roll in restoring my digestion system to healthy, i was always bloated for years and could not digest many foods, Xylitol has helped greatly, i consume about 1/4 to 1/3 cup a day, sometimes now that i feel better i will go few weeks with out having any, i use it to make lemonade, or desserts or can just add to water, tastes and looks just like sugar, you want to start slow, maybe 1 tsp a day then up to tablespoon a day and up to 1/3 cup a day, you want to start slow because one of its excellent benefits is it loosens and increases bowl activity. I prefer the Xylitol made from Birch and Beach Tree.

That's awesome. Will definitely try it out and post some results if I see them. Do you notice better results when it is taken alone or when taken with foods?

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
That's awesome. Will definitely try it out and post some results if I see them. Do you notice better results when it is taken alone or when taken with foods?

I usually have xylitol as the sweetener for smoothies or lemonade, i also have in teas, foods or anything that i want to sweeten, i felt much better after switching from cane sugar to xylitol, after a while i found i still needed other sugars for their own unique nutritional qualities, i have 1-2 tbs raw honey each day, its good for almost everything, having raw honey before bedtime can be very helpful for sleeping better, and i really also like the inclined bed therapy talked about on another thread. I have been doing great with xylitol for over a year now and i do feel Molecular Hydrogen Water is also excellent for digestion and together with Xylitol would be my top two choices for digestive health.

Sorry i know i go on and on sometimes…

postman

I usually have xylitol as the sweetener for smoothies or lemonade, i also have in teas, foods or anything that i want to sweeten, i felt much better after switching from cane sugar to xylitol, after a while i found i still needed other sugars for their own unique nutritional qualities, i have 1-2 tbs raw honey each day, its good for almost everything, having raw honey before bedtime can be very helpful for sleeping better, and i really also like the inclined bed therapy talked about on another thread. I have been doing great with xylitol for over a year now and i do feel Molecular Hydrogen Water is also excellent for digestion and together with Xylitol would be my top two choices for digestive health.

this is useful info

accelerator

Do you think you had sibo? And do you still use xylitol?

Mauritio

Mauritio

I started with a teaspoon and today I probably took like 5 tablespoons with no side effects :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals