Effects Of Beef Production Method And Breed On Fat Content

Dan W

Here's an interesting study by Kraft et al (no relation to the mac-and-cheese empire, I presume):
Extensive Analysis of Long-Chain Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids, CLA, trans-18:1 Isomers, and Plasmalogenic Lipids in Different Retail Beef types

SFA content:
Angus meat had the highest relative proportion of total SFA, whereas Limo meat had the lowest.

PUFA content:
beef-fat-pufa-content-kraft-et-al.png

I conclude from it that grassfed Angus looks the best fat-wise, with conventionally-raised Limo being the worst:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I have always been drawn to Angus. Nice find Dan! :thumbup:

jyb

"Consumers often consider this meat to be unhealthy because of its visible fat content. However, on the basis of the recommended dietary fat allowance of 80 g/day (23), the fat intake consumed with 100 g of meat amounts to 1.4% with Limo (lowest) and 4% with Scott (highest) of the daily fat intake. This leads to the conclusion thatson condition that visible subcutaneous fat is removedsbeef meat from either production system investigated contributes only marginally to the daily fat intake"

Ah finally! I never understand when people are bothered about fat when they eat steak, whether butter is added or not.

Peatri Dish

My hubby and I eat 1/2 angus, grass fed organic cow each year. The fat looks and tastes so different from factory cows that neither of us can eat anything else anymore. It's yellow and not mushy like store beef. If you chew the fat it really takes some work and it's really flavorful. (Westside Pufas is probably horrified right now!)When I was a kid angus was the gold standard. They do very well on grass, without any fuss. Every year the side of beef goes up in price, but we are hooked now after several years.

(Westside Pufas is probably horrified right now!)

Doesn't affect me...:wink

Like Doug Lisle says when he's forced to go to a social event where people try to shove food down his throat and he refuses...

Person: "Come on Doug, just one bite..."

Doug: "No, thanks. I'm good."

Person: "Why not?"

Doug: "Because I don't wanna get sick and die."

Person: "Well am I gonna get sick and die?"

Doug: "Yes."

Person: "Well I don't know if I can do it."

Doug: "Well I don't really care whether you do it or not."

Doug then says to the crowd that he's telling the story to that the best part about doing that is you'll never get invited back. :joyful:

That is from his talk "Getting Along Without Going Along" where he teaches people how to deal with resistance from others when you're trying to live a healthy lifestyle. You don't have to agree with him nutritionally to get some good tips from him. He doesn't really talk about nutrition in it he just talks about how to deal with people.

Video: Getting Along Without Going Along

The hard to chew part you speak of is the tendons and not the fat though they are often bound. I'm not suggesting that your angus is gonna make you sick and kill you. I myself actually eat bison and beef weekly. I view it as a special kind of amino acid supplement and if the fat in it has any nutritive value, I get enough of it from that amount. I think the problem is people eat it daily and/or too often which by default makes them eat less fruit/root fiber. I don't care if anyone eats like me. I just share my experience and others can take what they will from it. I do feel guilty about contributing to animal suffering by eating my weekly beef/bison but I don't feel bad enough to become vegan. I've cut out dairy and noticed some improvements in sleep. But cutting cheese is the hardest thing for people to do. Most people who are quasi-vegans eat a high carb low fat vegan diet 90% of the time and they supplement it with a quality red meat. I think that's the best way to eat. I think that is the true human diet; fruits, roots, leaves, and meat, in order from most to least. Though I would now consider red meat healthier than fish because of the ocean.

Milky