Effect Of Pharmacological Doses Of Niacin On Testicular Structure And Function

Douglas Ek

Good find!
Ive used niacin in the flushing doses previously. I liked the fact that for once you could actually tell that it did something hahaha. Dunno if the flush effect is healthy though as Ive heard mixed things about it but in my opinion increasing blood flow would seem to be an healthy idea but some feel different about it. Cant help though to mention Ive always had reduced libido from niacin. Might be its cholesterol reducing effect but Im wondering the exact mechanism how it reduces cholesterol and where it goes? If it somehow increases steroid synthesis that would make sense it would lower cholesterol.

MrBenjamin

I think Niacin can inhibit the conversion of Testosterone to DHT.
This might affect libido.

Makrosky

If I understand the study correctly, they were giving the rats 800mg and 4grs PER KILO of bodyweight. Nobody takes such large doses of niacin. Not even close. If my understanding is correct, that study is not of any clinical relevance for us.

Doses of more than 4.5 grams daily can result in hepatotoxicity in humans, I cannot even imagine what 800mg/kg can do. Probably kill you with one single dose.

haidut

Forum Supporter
If I understand the study correctly, they were giving the rats 800mg and 4grs PER KILO of bodyweight. Nobody takes such large doses of niacin. Not even close. If my understanding is correct, that study is not of any clinical relevance for us.

Doses of more than 4.5 grams daily can result in hepatotoxicity in humans, I cannot even imagine what 800mg/kg can do. Probably kill you with one single dose.

This was in mg/kg of diet. So, to get the mg/kg bodyweight dose simply divide by 10, which gives 80mg/kg to 400mg/kg range. The first dose is probably relevant for humans, but the second one is too high and potentially toxic. Also, even though the study is niacin I don't see why the same results would not also be achievable with niacinamide.

Makrosky

This was in mg/kg of diet. So, to get the mg/kg bodyweight dose simply divide by 10, which gives 80mg/kg to 400mg/kg range. The first dose is probably relevant for humans, but the second one is too high and potentially toxic. Also, even though the study is niacin I don't see why the same results would not also be achievable with niacinamide.
Ok haidut thanks for clarifying. 80mg/kg is still, averagely speaking, inside the hepatotoxic doses. 4.5 grams for a person of let's say 70 kg is 64mg/kg, thus 80 mg/kg is far beyond safe limits.

Edit: There have been reported cases in medical literature of hepatotoxicity with 3gr dosage, so NOBODY should be even close (averagely speaking again) to 80 mg/kg

Last edited:

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ok haidut thanks for clarifying. 80mg/kg is still, averagely speaking, inside the hepatotoxic doses. 4.5 grams for a person of let's say 70 kg is 64mg/kg, thus 80 mg/kg is far beyond safe limits.

Edit: There have been reported cases in medical literature of hepatotoxicity with 3gr dosage, so NOBODY should be even close (averagely speaking again) to 80 mg/kg

This dose is for rats. So, the 80mg/kg has to be scaled down to a human dose. The HED of 80mg/kg is about 13mg/kg for a human, which means about 1g for a 75kg human. Not a low dose but certainly not hepatotoxic either.

thanks @haidut and @Lokzo

very interesting study. For the diabetic rodents I think the diabetic issues overcame any ability to improve androgens although the testicular somatic remodeling was still beneficial.

Makrosky

This dose is for rats. So, the 80mg/kg has to be scaled down to a human dose. The HED of 80mg/kg is about 13mg/kg for a human, which means about 1g for a 75kg human. Not a low dose but certainly not hepatotoxic either.
Thanks again haidut. So I eat up my words LOL.
Now a 1g for 75kg human it is perfectly relevant.