Educated Bodybuilder Talks About Nutrition

nbznj

A few key points I’d wanna single out
- calories in, calories out always and first and foremost. Doesn’t care about low fat or low carb
- slowly digested complete proteins to keep 24/7 steady levels, 70g per day should be a sufficient minimum
- Jay Cutler was eating upward of 1500g of carbs a day while keeping proteins at 180g (even half of those is a ton of food for a natural lifter)
- fat slows down metabolism - who’d have thought - useful at night tho (I’ve had insomnia on very low fat days and no fat dinners, waking up at 3am craving food)

Personal notes:
- high fat is terrible for arteries
- I don’t really care that much about macros tho, .5g/lb is a decent start for proteins. Micros matter more imo. The same way that muscle won’t be but without complete aminos, no anabolism will happen when there are major lacking cofactors (ie. Fix nutrient deficiencies)

OP
R

Ryan999

Yeah great summary, thanks for that. Definitely a few points in the video that don’t take a Peat philosophy into account, I agree. I might have to disagree with you on putting micros above macros as far as muscle building is concerned but to be totally honest I’m not sure.

A few key points I’d wanna single out
- calories in, calories out always and first and foremost. Doesn’t care about low fat or low carb
- slowly digested complete proteins to keep 24/7 steady levels, 70g per day should be a sufficient minimum
- Jay Cutler was eating upward of 1500g of carbs a day while keeping proteins at 180g (even half of those is a ton of food for a natural lifter)
- fat slows down metabolism - who’d have thought - useful at night tho (I’ve had insomnia on very low fat days and no fat dinners, waking up at 3am craving food)

Personal notes:
- high fat is terrible for arteries
- I don’t really care that much about macros tho, .5g/lb is a decent start for proteins. Micros matter more imo. The same way that muscle won’t be but without complete aminos, no anabolism will happen when there are major lacking cofactors (ie. Fix nutrient deficiencies)

Last edited:

ExCarniv

A bodybuilder I'd listen to is Stan Efferding, his "Vertical diet" is what brought me in to Peat ideas, despite he advocates for eating gigantic amounts of red meat and salmon.

Wow, before watching the video, I thought the title was sarcastic, but no, he seems like a very level-headed guy, and certainly knows much more than many bodybuilders.

Thanks for sharing!

OP
R

Ryan999

A bodybuilder I'd listen to is Stan Efferding, his "Vertical diet" is what brought me in to Peat ideas, despite he advocates for eating gigantic amounts of red meat and salmon.

Yeah Stan is an interesting guy... known for being one of the strongest bodybuilders ever... he advocates high salt, gelatin, saturated fat, cholesterol, orange juice, carrots, dairy, easily digestible food, and sometimes I’m almost sure he’s a follower of Peat but then he’ll recommend things that definitely go against Peat like high iodine and high beta carotene (which is why he says raw carrots are good).

"Jay Cutler" and his parents were freaking farmers or such and he ate something like
"4lb" of chicken a day and 6egggs.
The minimum in my opinion is 1.6g per KG/BW,up to 2.2g per KG/BW is still associated with increased performance
like strength increase,for diseased states and aging stress that and plus 50% on top.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals