Edema Or Increased Urination With Excessive Salt

Barry Obummer

I am trying to increase yet balance out my sodium intake because my hands and feet are painfully extremely cold (though thyroid in blood test seems normal by mainstream standards).

I read that excess sodium will cause swelling/water retention, but then on the other hand I read if you drink seawater you will urinate excessively to try and get rid of all the salt, thus dehydrating you. What am I not understanding here? Does excessive sodium cause water retention or excessive urination? Are there any other good signals to tell what's going on?

I haven't warmed up my hands yet, yet I haven't gone close to as high as some people on this forum said helped them. I also have definitely been well above RDA but haven't noticed any swelling. I'm not sure what to do here.

FredSonoma

+1 also curious! However, I think the most important "answer" is to just eat as much as you crave

Birdie

Ray has said to salt to taste.
That said some people benefit by consciously eating more salt.

There is an old-time thread on Salt here if you use the search.
I'm planning to up mine. I had good results by increasing it before.

I've seen people report in blogs that using salted water helped with UTIs.
It's helped reduce ankle swelling too.

Helps me sleep. The usual conventional mantra is that salt causes water retention.
As I recall, RP doesn't agree...

You could also go to toxinless and to the peat search to find salt info.

superhuman

I have never been able to find out about salt and the edema connection. I have seriously tried everything under the sun and i cant get rid of my edema/water retention. alot of sodium bicarb helps and alot of protein helps, aka 200g+ of protein.
If i add salt i get more water retention, because i get more thirsty and retain the liquid i drink.

Birdie

@Birdie the thing with salt is, if i use alot of it i get more thirsty and i retain more water :(

Oh, makes sense. I wonder what the answer is. Did you ever ask Ray what he thought?
I guess you would have said if you did.
Wonder if there's any info in the questions and answers.

Have you been dealing with this since 2013. I see you joined here then. Or is it newer?
Hopefully somebody here has a suggestion.

On second thought, are you saying that you get super thirsty when you take in too much salt?
Then, it looks to me like you don't need extra salt. So you'd just go by the advice to salt to taste.

Some are using extra salt for certain therapeutic results.

Last edited:

superhuman

@Birdie ive asked RP as well. Yeah if i take in to much salt i get thirsty or very thirsty and when i then drink it just turns to water retention. The thing is i still have water retention even tho i dont use any salt at all. I can get it from just drinking milk and all that as well.

@marikay i have read that and the water/swelling article probably 5-10 times and im still here.

M

marikay

@Birdie ive asked RP as well. Yeah if i take in to much salt i get thirsty or very thirsty and when i then drink it just turns to water retention. The thing is i still have water retention even tho i dont use any salt at all. I can get it from just drinking milk and all that as well.

@marikay i have read that and the water/swelling article probably 5-10 times and im still here.

So perhaps Baking Soda is a better way to go for you? But I am confused. From the posts above, I got the impression that you understood too much salt to be the cause of your water retention. Ray is saying that too little salt (or no salt) is the problem, or at least that increasing salt should help decrease water retention.

I think salt is helpful to people who are hypothyroid and are losing minerals from decreased energy/structure. These people are also estrogen dominant and estrogen causes the cell swelling/edema which is a chaotic and mineral wasting state. Sodium powerfully regulates the water and reduces the swelling, but in people who don't need it, it will make you super thirsty. Our craving for water and salt are the two most ancient and most important cravings we have, so it's important to listen to them and not to do anything too extreme based on theories. Personally I don't use baking soda because sodium chloride is much more pH neutral.

This is just a theory, but perhaps sodium can cause swelling in people with high calcium and low potassium/magnesium because that imbalance might make it more difficult to get the sodium and calcium out of the cell.

Quote from RP's article on Calcium : "Magnesium and potassium are mainly intracellular ions, sodium and calcium are mainly extracellular ions. When cells are excited, stressed, or de-energized, they lose magnesium and potassium, and take up sodium and calcium."

Probably why salty milk tastes gross but salty potatoes taste great

superhuman

@doorknobrob true i have thought about that as well. But RP has also mention that the minerals works together. He thinks calcium is super important, and salt also esp for hypothyroid because it spares magnesium as well.
But milk also contains alot of potassium.
The thing is i dont crave salt really, but i still have water retention/estrogen dominance. So its a tricky situation for sure.
Im not really sure what to do, since my symptoms water retention/hypothyroid/estrogen indicates that i should be low in sodium as well but if i increase salt i get more water retention.

OP
Barry Obummer

Barry Obummer

I think salt is helpful to people who are hypothyroid and are losing minerals from decreased energy/structure. These people are also estrogen dominant and estrogen causes the cell swelling/edema which is a chaotic and mineral wasting state. Sodium powerfully regulates the water and reduces the swelling, but in people who don't need it, it will make you super thirsty. Our craving for water and salt are the two most ancient and most important cravings we have, so it's important to listen to them and not to do anything too extreme based on theories. Personally I don't use baking soda because sodium chloride is much more pH neutral.

This is just a theory, but perhaps sodium can cause swelling in people with high calcium and low potassium/magnesium because that imbalance might make it more difficult to get the sodium and calcium out of the cell.

Quote from RP's article on Calcium : "Magnesium and potassium are mainly intracellular ions, sodium and calcium are mainly extracellular ions. When cells are excited, stressed, or de-energized, they lose magnesium and potassium, and take up sodium and calcium."

Probably why salty milk tastes gross but salty potatoes taste great

That's interesting. I am all aboard the RP train when it comes to restricted salt=bad, but people apparently do report swelling after salty meals.

OP
Barry Obummer

Barry Obummer

Superhuman: Maybe if you drink more water beyond thirst your body will see there is water coming in so it will be less stingy with retaining it. I'm dunno though, I just pulled that out of my behind. How are your temps? Are your extremities cold?

And yea me too. I never crave salt, and never feel thirsty, even after taking high doses of salt. I don't have edema though. My reason for getting substantial salt is to lower adrenaline and increase temps and energy.

OP
Barry Obummer

Barry Obummer

@Barry Obummer i have tried that also. The same happends. More water liquid without salt also leads to water retention, just a little less then with salt
How are your temps? Are your extremities cold? I'm just curious.

M

marikay

@marikay well why do you quote my messages then and responds

I didn't notice who had responded to my link to the Ray article. I assumed it was the original poster. My mistake. But if you look back you'll see that I did not reply to your response when I posted the link to the article, nor did I quote you.

Sol Invictus

For me salt as well as magnesium both increase temp and pulse. The more I take the higher they go, but at the expense of dehydrating myself and always having a parched mouth. I have noticed that they cause me to urinate more, but the urine is always somewhat yellow and never clear. I have always heard that you should never drink salt water if stranded at sea or it will severely dehydrate you.

I think how you react to salt is dependent on your aldosterone levels. Too much salt can lower aldosterone too much and this will cause excessive urination and dehydration. When I was experimenting with progesterone it did the same thing (increasing urination and dehydration).

Check out this site:
RT3-Adrenals aldosterone

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals