ED, Isotretinoin (accutane) And Mild Depression

magnilo

hello folks. im a 33 yo male in fairly good shape. 75kg x 184cm,
diet: high protein, average fats carbs diet, fairly low fibers (due to digestive issues (IBS-D-ish))

in the past years ive been taking accutane on a semi permanent basis, although at low doses (about 20mg a week - 5mg every other day or 10mg twice a week)

i had also had a course of prozac (fluoxetine) for what was major depression at the time. i wouldnt say im depressed now, just probably slightly dysthimic, but i see it as a personality trait and have given up on ""fixing it"" (at least at this time).

I've also had problems with lowish testosterone, usually a bit below lower threshold. for a while i took testosterone cream but dropped it due to fears of infertility.

ive recently had my blood drawn and testosterone came out again below range.
Im now considering asking for something like HCG (HGH) therapy or the alikes, in the hope that it might clear up some of my issues:

-spontaneous erections over the day are absent
-lack of morning woods, maybe one or two a week
-delayed ejaculation, inability to maintain erection
-lack of energy, mental clarity, motivation, the fairly typical dysthimic picture

until recently ive been looking into what isotretinoin does to your body and ive found out its a 5a-reductase inhibitor, sort of like finasteride, and ive wondered if this could be the culprit of many of my issues.
if this was the case, what could i supplement with to counterbalance its activity?

im trying chistanche at the moment but i cant say much at the time being

Sadly i isotretinoin is a godsent for my acne. i otherwise have small pimples all over my back, arms, chest and neck. so im really reticent on dropping it completely.

OP
M

magnilo

also i forgot to add (and somehow i cant seem to be able to edit the post), that i mentioned the SSRI because i have since then been suffering from PSSD - not an extreme case, but not mild either

diet: high protein, average fats carbs diet, fairly low fibers (due to digestive issues (IBS-D-ish))

in the past years ive been taking accutane on a semi permanent basis, although at low doses (about 20mg a week - 5mg every other day or 10mg twice a week)

i had also had a course of prozac (fluoxetine) for what was major depression at the time. i wouldnt say im depressed now, just probably slightly dysthimic, but i see it as a personality trait and have given up on ""fixing it"" (at least at this time).

I've also had problems with lowish testosterone, usually a bit below lower threshold. for a while i took testosterone cream but dropped it due to fears of infertility.

Im now considering asking for something like HCG (HGH) therapy or the alikes, in the hope that it might clear up some of my issues:

-lack of energy, mental clarity, motivation, the fairly typical dysthimic picture

until recently ive been looking into what isotretinoin does to your body and ive found out its a 5a-reductase inhibitor, sort of like finasteride, and ive wondered if this could be the culprit of many of my issues.
if this was the case, what could i supplement with to counterbalance its activity?

Sadly i isotretinoin is a godsent for my acne. i otherwise have small pimples all over my back, arms, chest and neck. so im really reticent on dropping it completely.
I’m 22. I did Accutane when I was 18 and my DHT is also low so your not alone. If your still on Accutane get off of it and try to fix the low androgens through diet, sleep, sunlight and maybe a quality multivitamin. Do blood tests every 3 months or so and see if anything is working. For example the first three months try a high calorie diet low in PUFA/high carbs/high fat/bodyweight or less in protein, some moderate exercise, sunlight and good sleep. Then the next 3 months do everything the same but add in the multivitamin. This is what my plan is maybe join me in the journey!?

Hans

Forum Supporter

You're right, accutane does lower DHT, and DHT is essential for libido and erections. So I would also get off it if possible. Acne is most often a result of gut irritation, endotoxins, slow lymphatic drainage, systemic inflammation and so on. A low PUFA diet, some saturated fats (not too much as it increases the absorption of endotoxins and some people react negatively to that. Saturated fat is anti-endotoxin, but I have found that too much has a negative effect on me.), activated charcoal/carrot salad, glycine, magnesium, aspirin, vitamin D, etc. can help to clean the gut, lower endotoxins, and reduce inflammation which should have a beneficial effect on acne as well as testosterone, DHT and libido. Here's an article on how to boost your DHT.

Prozac is pro-serotonin, and serotonin promotes prolactin, cortisol and estrogen via the 5-HT2 receptor. Serotonin also decreases testosterone production, which may explain the low T. To boost your T and DHT, I would advise improving thyroid function, lowering serotonin, estrogen, prolactin, cortisol, endotoxins, and eat a wholesome healthy diet (high carb), sleep enough, avoid a caloric deficit, etc. A few things you can focus on in your diet is to ensure you eat enough potassium, magnesium and calcium, and aim for a high zinc to copper and calcium to phosphorus ratio.
Tribulus terrestris has worked wonders for me in these aspects.