Eating when you're not hungry.

answersfound

I often see a lot of recommendations to increase calorie intake. I sometimes find myself eating even though I'm not even hungry. As a kid, you don't even think twice about this. If you're not hungry, you don't eat. But I'm wondering if trying to hit a certain caloric goal can actually create more problems. Doesn't the body need a break from digestion sometimes?

lindsay

lookingforanswers said:
I often see a lot of recommendations to increase calorie intake. I sometimes find myself eating even though I'm not even hungry. As a kid, you don't even think twice about this. If you're not hungry, you don't eat. But I'm wondering if trying to hit a certain caloric goal can actually create more problems. Doesn't the body need a break from digestion sometimes?

I haven't been on here in awhile because life has been busy, but I stopped force-feeding myself quite some time ago because I don't feel well when I do. As a result, I've experienced reduced inflammation. Some might call my calorie level lower than it should be, but I've decided to focus on getting nutrients more so than calories - emphasizing minerals (calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium) and protein intake, which I have struggled with. I'm very moderately active - meaning, I walk my dog daily and to and from places. No hardcore exercise, as I was recuperating from a knee injury.

I've been able to lower my thyroid dose and still feel relatively well - taking more T3 and less T4. Digestion has improved somewhat (this is something I always have issue with) - but the most important thing I noticed is that a wart that's been on my hands for two years slowly started to disappear, which makes me think whatever I've been doing has been beneficial to my liver.

My primary protein sources have become seafood (mostly shellfish) and hard cheeses. I just feel better with these. The way I've found to best increase calories without thinking about it is drinking Organic OJ when I'm thirsty. It's nutrient dense and Oranges and OJ help to reduce endotoxin and estrogen.

Other than that, putting my focus on things I enjoy has been more beneficial for me than pounding in calories, but that's just my take on things. I have been doing a daily photo project and learning more about photography and engaging my brain tends to be very therapeutic. I think being bored is one of the worst health offenders.

Then again, I had been re-nourishing myself for a couple of years when I changed course, so my body was probably in a much better place.

Stilgar

I have had much the same experience, Lindsay.
Nutrients are so much more important for me, and my body suffers if I chug back calories without paying attention to things like protein, calcium, vitamins etc.

In my experience though, I would say that eating protein when I am not hungry has sometimes been necessary, and tends to have a positive effect for me. It tends to give me an appetite, rather than making me more full (within reason). I might have a huge glass of chocolate milk, say, if I have had a busy day and haven't eaten enough, and it usually alleviates inflammation and makes me hungrier.

I have no problem getting enough carbs, just protein.

Nicholas

it's a delicate balance....sometimes you have to force yourself to eat so that you can realize that you are hungry - and other times you really are just forcing yourself to eat when you are not hungry. mindlessly increasing or decreasing your calories is not natural.

YuraCZ

I have to force myself to the sweet taste of orange juice/glycine and I miss huge, dense and fatty meals like whole grilled chicken, turkey or grilled mackerels with starches.. :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals