Eating when out/on the run

jaketthomas

What do some of you long-term Peat'ers eat when you're out to lunch, or when you're on-the-go? I had a Mexican coke, a bottle of OJ and a bunch of deli sliced cheese yesterday as a meal and it digested terribly, lol. Some suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance!

sctb

Dates and cheese are about as compact as possible, so these are
my go-to for meals outside of the house.

- Scott

OP
jaketthomas

jaketthomas

Bugles! Haha, I love those things. They make them with coconut oil?
My fiancee said when I combined OJ and Milk in the same meal that my stomach would be ruined, but that combo doesn't bother me at all. If anything, it digests perfectly. :)

jyb

OrangeJuiceManiac said:
gas station meal: haribo gummy bears, bugles (fried in coconut oil), milk, oj (not from concentrate)

Gummy bears has gelatin and sugar...but also waxes and flavourings. Doesn't it cause concern?

Asimov

I eat chipotle. Bowl with fajita veggies, beef, salsa, sour cream and cheese.

jyb said:
OrangeJuiceManiac said:
gas station meal: haribo gummy bears, bugles (fried in coconut oil), milk, oj (not from concentrate)

Gummy bears has gelatin and sugar...but also waxes and flavourings. Doesn't it cause concern?

if your concerned about the flavorings, there is no msg..... i have gummy bears from time to time....i do it when im out and my only options are commercial snacks but ideally organic gummy bears from yummy organic are best...

BingDing

Great tip about the Bugles, thanks. Even with the BHT that's probly the best snack of its kind.

OrangeJuiceManiac said:
if your concerned about the flavorings, there is no msg..... i have gummy bears from time to time....i do it when im out and my only options are commercial snacks but ideally organic gummy bears from yummy organic are best...

I'm curious how you know there is no msg if the manufacturer doesn't tell you what "flavoring" means. The word encompasses a lot of different products, I'm pretty sure msg can be in some of them. I googled on Organic Compliant Natural Flavors from your post in the Gummi Bears thread, Oregon Tilth quotes the FDA

The US FDA Definition of Natural Flavors FDA 21 CFR Part 101.22(a)(3): “… natural flavor or natural flavoring means the essential oil, oleoresin, essence or extractive, protein hydrolysate, distillate, or any product of roasting, heating or enzymolysis, which contains the flavoring constituents derived from a spice, fruit or fruit juice, vegetable or vegetable juice, edible yeast, herb, bark, bud, root, leaf or similar plant material, meat, seafood, poultry, eggs, dairy products, or fermentation products thereof, whose significant function in food is flavoring rather than nutritional. Natural flavors include [but not exclusively] the natural essences or extractives obtained from plants listed in §§182.10, 182.20, 182.40, and 182.50 and part 184 of this chapter, and the substances listed in §172.510 of this chapter.”

It's the protein hydrolysate that I'm thinking about, but who knows what might fall under that definition?

jyb

BingDing said:
It's the protein hydrolysate that I'm thinking about, but who knows what might fall under that definition?

This is how the food industry is allowed to sell something as beef patty even if more than half of it is not beef. Water and proteins from other animals are mixed with beef as "flavourings", which is a way to produce cheaper meat. So next time you eat a cheap beef patty, think about how there it may actually contain more pork than beef.

It would be interesting to analyse the content of these pattys in terms of toxic metals and plastics. All those artificial proteins added to the meat have been long processed and stored before being added. All of this processing must contaminate the meat.

BingDing said:
Great tip about the Bugles, thanks. Even with the BHT that's probly the best snack of its kind.

OrangeJuiceManiac said:

I'm curious how you know there is no msg if the manufacturer doesn't tell you what "flavoring" means. The word encompasses a lot of different products, I'm pretty sure msg can be in some of them. I googled on Organic Compliant Natural Flavors from your post in the Gummi Bears thread, Oregon Tilth quotes the FDA

The US FDA Definition of Natural Flavors FDA 21 CFR Part 101.22(a)(3): “… natural flavor or natural flavoring means the essential oil, oleoresin, essence or extractive, protein hydrolysate, distillate, or any product of roasting, heating or enzymolysis, which contains the flavoring constituents derived from a spice, fruit or fruit juice, vegetable or vegetable juice, edible yeast, herb, bark, bud, root, leaf or similar plant material, meat, seafood, poultry, eggs, dairy products, or fermentation products thereof, whose significant function in food is flavoring rather than nutritional. Natural flavors include [but not exclusively] the natural essences or extractives obtained from plants listed in §§182.10, 182.20, 182.40, and 182.50 and part 184 of this chapter, and the substances listed in §172.510 of this chapter.”

when i asked this was the response i got from them:

Dear Marcus,

Thank you for your email. MSG is not used in any of Haribo's products.

Regards,
Consumer Relations

BingDing

My mistake, OrangeJuiceManiac, you said haribo and I was thinking any gummis at a typical C-store. Haribo is fairly rare in my area.

Jenn

Depend on what available....found a kettle corn with coconut oil once at a gas station, pork rinds work with a little vitamin E supplementation and a coconut oil/cream cheese dip. Vietnamese food is low fat and sugary, just bring a knox packet and coconut oil with you to add to a soup. Coffee, Chocolate, Strawberry or Vanilla Haagen Daz make a great fast food meal.<L> Mexican restaurant works too, add some gelatin and coconut oil to a fajita platter and get corn tortillas. Just ask them to hold the beans and lettuce.
Oj or a cutie and a mozz stick work for something light.

Get a cup of coffee and add your own gelatin and tons of sugar. I bring my own milk a lot.
Learn to pack a cooler and/or thermos.

BingDing

Jenn said:
I bring my own milk a lot.
Learn to pack a cooler and/or thermos.

That's the ultimate answer, I think. I bring my own cocktail sauce when we go out for oysters, and a bottle of blenderized gelatin and milk plus a couple mexicokes for when muscle meat is the only thing on the menu I want. On even a short day trip I'll bring a bottle of blenderized gelatin/oj/milk and a chocolate bar.

I tried the cheese and dates sctb mentioned on a recent adventure to see some Owls, they worked pretty well.

OP
jaketthomas

jaketthomas

Thanks for the insights. I live in New York, and it's pretty easy to get Peat friendly foods, pretty much everywhere. Convenience stores on every corner. I have a jug of gelatin, but not individual packets, which would be a lot more convenient. Where do you find Knox gelatin? I've looked in my grocery stores, but can't find it. I've heard Dr. Joel Wallach talk about Knox for years! His "arthritis cure" is 1 packet Knox Gelatin/Calcium/OJ/Colloidal Minerals.

cliff

Pork rinds, flash pasteurized oj or other juice, parmagiano regiano, most chocolate bars are fine if you don't mind some soy lecithin, sierra mist, pepsi throwback, mexican coke, steamed rice, carne asada/tongue/brain etc. soft corn tacos, hagen daaz, black coffee with lots of sugar and half/half(most half/half are free of additives).

Some times you have to sacrifice too, generally I'll look for something that uses a saturated oil, has little to no wheat and few if any supplements/gums/allergens.

OP
jaketthomas

jaketthomas

I like your style, Cliff. Good suggestions. That's pretty much what I've been doing... sacrificing a little, if necessary, but making sure whatever I'm consuming has as few offensive ingredients as possible. Wheat and PUFA are big no-no's for me. I always make sure NEVER to skimp on calories either.

T

tobieagle

when im at university i take a bottle of 2/3 whole milk and 1/3 Oj from home. mixed together with some salt. :D Sounds disgusting but tastes incredible well imo and delivers enough energy.

T

tobieagle

Well i didnt notice yet. I think there wont happen much in a few hours and it will probably depend on the milk you use. Maybe the salt/oj prevents it in a way i dont know.