Eating two meals a day?

Ippodrom47

Hi! Due to my currently slow thyroid/sibo, my digestion seems to be a bit decelerated as well. I like to be hungry before a meal and reap all the benefits of the migrating motor complex (i.e. to hear that pretty rumble in the stomach), and having three square meals doesn't make me hungry between them. Would it be wise to eat my first meal between 8 am and 9 am, for instance, and the second one between 3 pm and 4 pm? I go to bed at 9 pm, so there must be enough time for the food to be digested. Thanks!

P

Peatness

Hi! Due to my currently slow thyroid/sibo, my digestion seems to be a bit decelerated as well. I like to be hungry before a meal and reap all the benefits of the migrating motor complex (i.e. to hear that pretty rumble in the stomach), and having three square meals doesn't make me hungry between them. Would it be wise to eat my first meal between 8 am and 9 am, for instance, and the second one between 3 pm and 4 pm? I go to bed at 9 pm, so there must be enough time for the food to be digested. Thanks!
Have you tried eating like this before, how do you feel doing that? Is your temperature and pulse good. If your liver is good it may work, if not you could run into trouble

Dr Peat on Blood Sugar and Thyroid

Blood sugar regulation affects thyroid, or T3 production. When the liver has no sugar available, T4 cannot convert to T3 in the liver.

Mary Shomon: You have written that for some people, there is a problem converting T4 to T3, but that diet can help. You recommend a piece of fruit or juice or milk between meals, plus adequate protein, can help the liver produce the hormone. Can you explain a bit more about this idea and how it works?

Dr. Ray Peat: The amount of glucose in liver cells regulates the enzyme that converts T4 to T3. This means that hypoglycemia or diabetes (in which glucose doesn't enter cells efficiently) will cause hypothyroidism, when T4 can't be converted into T3. When a person is fasting, at first the liver's glycogen stores will provide glucose to maintain T3 production. When the glycogen is depleted, the body resorts to the dissolution of tissue to provide energy. The mobilized fatty acids interfere with the use of glucose, and certain amino acids suppress the thyroid gland. Eating carbohydrate (especially fruits) can allow the liver to resume its production of T3.

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

Have you tried eating like this before, how do you feel doing that? Is your temperature and pulse good. If your liver is good it may work, if not you could run into trouble

Dr Peat on Blood Sugar and Thyroid

Blood sugar regulation affects thyroid, or T3 production. When the liver has no sugar available, T4 cannot convert to T3 in the liver.

Mary Shomon: You have written that for some people, there is a problem converting T4 to T3, but that diet can help. You recommend a piece of fruit or juice or milk between meals, plus adequate protein, can help the liver produce the hormone. Can you explain a bit more about this idea and how it works?

Dr. Ray Peat: The amount of glucose in liver cells regulates the enzyme that converts T4 to T3. This means that hypoglycemia or diabetes (in which glucose doesn't enter cells efficiently) will cause hypothyroidism, when T4 can't be converted into T3. When a person is fasting, at first the liver's glycogen stores will provide glucose to maintain T3 production. When the glycogen is depleted, the body resorts to the dissolution of tissue to provide energy. The mobilized fatty acids interfere with the use of glucose, and certain amino acids suppress the thyroid gland. Eating carbohydrate (especially fruits) can allow the liver to resume its production of T3.
Thanks very much! However, it seems he's talking more about prolonged fasting rather than several hours between meals.