Eating Thyroid

Inaut

So I spoke to my butcher (whom supplies me with very good quality meats) about procuring fresh thyroid from cow. Here in Canada, I think it's illegal to sell thyroid (or maybe I've made that up) . Regardless, most butcher shops do not sell it that I've been to. Because I'm friends with the butcher, he said he would inquire for me.

My question is......is this dangerous if I ate the thyroid gland? I realize that typically thyroid extracts are standardized or processed which means its more measurable. Is there a reason why it's so hard to obtain, if it's legal to obtain?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I’ve gotten chicken necks from the farmers market with the thyroid still attached. Someone posted some pictures on the forum years ago of thyroid tissue of a larger animal that they bought but I’m not sure of the country where they were located.
Actual thyroid pills seem easier to dose in my opinion but if the actual gland is all you can get and you need it I think it’s better than nothing. I believe @tara used to make a chicken neck broth and divide it up in ice cube trays for daily use.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
If you check any sort of "butchering regulation" in most countries, you will find, that animal thyroid cannot enter human food chain, as there were cases of people being poison by it. I read somewhere that a manufacturer made a batch of sausage that had high content of thyroid glands and a lot of people died because of the heart attack.

1 grain of thyroid contain 60 mg of thyroid extract, some people say it's about 120 mg of dried thyroid, that's about 0.5 gram of fresh thyroid... So if you eat 1 gram of fresh thyroid, that's a lot, if you eat 5 gram, you enter a dangerous ground... It probably would be a bit difficult to dose fresh thyroid as you would have to recognize it well - what is thyroid gland and what is the fat/other tissue surrounding it.

NDT has been in use for about 120 years. It seems that it wasn't used in paleolithic times anyway...

tara

I believe @tara used to make a chicken neck broth and divide it up in ice cube trays for daily use.
I did. I don't know whether the thyroid was there or not. I do think I felt noticably better for having a little of the broth very regularly. Other components in the broth might also have been helpful.

TeaRex14

I agree with the established consensus, the dosage would seem tricky. I guess it all depends on how much thyroid you need. A guy like me probably wouldn't want to eat fresh gland because if 0.5 grams of fresh thyroid really equals 60mgs of thyroid extract I would definitely be over stimulated. I take around 1/4 grain, about 1 or 2 drops of Tyromix. Red light eliminates my need for thyroid altogether, but doing 4 sessions everyday is a pain, and I rather just take a couple of drops and be done with it.

I wonder how heat affects the thyroid hormones in the thyroid gland during cooking. I think I'm gonna do the same as you: try to get the thyroid directly instead of buying a product containing it. I live in Brazil and I haven't found an over-the-counter thyroid medication with T3. I also never saw the thyroid gland of cows being sold, even though my country is known for the beef products. That means I'm gonna have to try and find a farmer willing to sell me the neck of a chicken. One grain of thyroid is about 65 mg, according to my search on google, and to get that amount, as @TeaRex14 has said, you would need about 0,5 grams of the gland, so as long as the measurements are made carefully, then I think it's safe. If I knew that cooking doesn't damage the hormones in it, I would cook it for a few minutes to make sure it doesn't contain any bacteria in it.

Lilac

I once got a chicken neck with the thyroid still attached. I split it in two and ate half--about 1/4 inch wide, a thin circle. I cooked it before eating it. It was an amazing experience. A short while after eating the thyroid, I felt a wave of positivity. I said, "I feel like I could do anything!" (Unlike my usual self.) That night, though, I had a hard time falling asleep. My heart was beating very strongly.

If I could, I would buy chicken necks with the thyroid and make a broth, then chop the thyroid extremely fine. Then find the right daily dose.

Jack Corbett

I agree with the established consensus, the dosage would seem tricky. I guess it all depends on how much thyroid you need. A guy like me probably wouldn't want to eat fresh gland because if 0.5 grams of fresh thyroid really equals 60mgs of thyroid extract I would definitely be over stimulated. I take around 1/4 grain, about 1 or 2 drops of Tyromix. Red light eliminates my need for thyroid altogether, but doing 4 sessions everyday is a pain, and I rather just take a couple of drops and be done with it.

Interested in your protocol for red light? how close? how often? what device?

TeaRex14

When I have the time I generally like doing it 3 to 4 times a day, about 15-20 minutes each session. I think it has it's maximum therapeutic effect in doses of that range, at least for me. I use a regular heat bulb, like this. I take my shirt off and stand as close as I can get without it burning me and allow the light to cover as much skin as possible. However there's other methods, arguably more efficient methods. I just personally can't comment on them. If you use a LED red light product of around 620nm you could hold the light right up against your thyroid on your neck, and get major benefits that way too. Downsides are the LED lights are considerably more expensive. Ranging from 50 USD all the way into the hundreds of dollars.