Eating This Way Plus Thyroid And Progesterone Make Me Really Depressed

abflower

I've been on Nature-throid (1/4 tab 3-4x/day) and Cynomel (nibbles 3-4x/day) for a few weeks, and for that time only eaten Peat foods. My heart rate went from 62 to 76-95 depending on when/what I've eaten, which is great. I've put on 3 pounds, which is great. No temps to share.

After adding Progest-E (3 drops onto face for brown spots, 3 drops under tongue) for a few days, I am so depressed!! Same thing happened when I introduced progesterone two years ago.

Also, my face looks old. Under eye bags are worse. My memory and brain function have gone from bad to worse too.

I'm 50. My period stopped at age 40. I've been freezing cold for decades.

I take one drop of 4000 IU Vitamin D per day. I added Vitamin E (Unique E) 400 IU three days ago.

Since I jumped on the thyroid bandwagon so abruptly (didn't build up), might this be a correction phase, and then things will get better? I drink 2+ quarts of milk a day.

Did anyone else get really depressed out of nowhere? Is it due to a faster metabolism ushering heavy metals from tissues into the blood perhaps (history of mercury toxicity)? I have to stop the progesterone, and cut the thyroid supps down to half tomorrow I think.

Any experience shared is appreciated.

Thyroid should already promote the metabolism of cholesterol rich foods into progesterone. I don’t think you should combine both.

Your diet sounds like a lot of sugar and high calcium combined with high vitamin D... perhaps you should get a bloodwork before using large amounts of anything.

What is your dominant neurotransmitter? Meaning, which one might you be lacking first? My example: I’m dopamine dominant, which means that if I don’t eat a lot of animal protein I’m kinda screwed. My roommate is GABA dominant with the worst fatty salty carb cravings, keto is the only way out...

The Edge Effect - Dopamine, Acetylcholine, GABA, and Serotonin Dominance

I think Ray might be biased towards dopamine people...

boris

You are probably extremely high in estrogen if your period stopped so early. In that case a low dose of progesterone will have the exact opposite effect (depressive) and you should take significantly more. Peat talks about this often. It‘s counter intuitive but you start with a HIGH dose of a quarter teaspoon or more and then slowly change to the small maintenance dose.

Last edited:

JenLN

Low dose progesterone tanked my estrogen, made me gain weight and made me depressed. More progesterone is NOT the answer. I am going to tell you sonething people on here are not gonna like. Go out and buy some bi-est cream. Try it for a couple days and see how you feel.

boris

Low dose progesterone tanked my estrogen, made me gain weight and made me depressed. More progesterone is NOT the answer. I am going to tell you sonething people on here are not gonna like. Go out and buy some bi-est cream. Try it for a couple days and see how you feel.

If she gets adverse reactions from low doses of progesterone it means she is high in estrogen. And post menopausal why would she want to supplement even more estrogen?

Kingpinguin

I've been on Nature-throid (1/4 tab 3-4x/day) and Cynomel (nibbles 3-4x/day) for a few weeks, and for that time only eaten Peat foods. My heart rate went from 62 to 76-95 depending on when/what I've eaten, which is great. I've put on 3 pounds, which is great. No temps to share.

After adding Progest-E (3 drops onto face for brown spots, 3 drops under tongue) for a few days, I am so depressed!! Same thing happened when I introduced progesterone two years ago.

Also, my face looks old. Under eye bags are worse. My memory and brain function have gone from bad to worse too.

I take one drop of 4000 IU Vitamin D per day. I added Vitamin E (Unique E) 400 IU three days ago.

Since I jumped on the thyroid bandwagon so abruptly (didn't build up), might this be a correction phase, and then things will get better? I drink 2+ quarts of milk a day.

Did anyone else get really depressed out of nowhere? Is it due to a faster metabolism ushering heavy metals from tissues into the blood perhaps (history of mercury toxicity)? I have to stop the progesterone, and cut the thyroid supps down to half tomorrow I think.

how is your minerals?
Peat foods lacks iron.
Your a woman. You had previous low iron problems?
I would go do an iron panel. Most defo could be your problem.

Kingpinguin

You are probably extremely high in estrogen if your period stopped so early. In that case a low dose of progesterone will have the exact opposite effect (depressive) and you should take significantly more. Peat talks about this often. It‘s counter intuitive but you start with a HIGH dose of a quarter teaspoon or more and then slowly change to the small maintenance dose.

could also be a self mechanism to prevent lowering iron further. Shes a woman eating peaty. Low iron could easily cause all those symptoms. Specially if she was borderline low previous to starting peating.

OP
A

abflower

Thank you so much all. These are so helpful to read. I knew you would have some ideas that I just don't know enough to have. I am getting just about 100% RDA iron b/c potatoes, liver and oysters are in my diet 1-2x/week. But about ten years ago I did find out that my ferritin levels were extremely low, and I never did anything about it. New bloodwork would be ideal yes. On Cronometer my mineral levels look set except for iodine when I don't eat fish (once a week). My Vitamin E was low one day.

Milkbasedvegan, that link really good. From that I would peg myself as serotonin dominant, and perhaps I've made myself even more serotonin deficient with full Peat eating.

RE: trying more progesterone, or biest cream, I will wait on an experiment like that though I'm sure it would show something. Maybe getting the thyroid dose and the diet should come first.

I am still down, and am going to eat non-Peaty today, cut the thyroid dose in half, and see if I feel more like myself in a couple of days.

Kingpinguin

Thank you so much all. These are so helpful to read. I knew you would have some ideas that I just don't know enough to have. I am getting just about 100% RDA iron b/c potatoes, liver and oysters are in my diet 1-2x/week. But about ten years ago I did find out that my ferritin levels were extremely low, and I never did anything about it. New bloodwork would be ideal yes. On Cronometer my mineral levels look set except for iodine when I don't eat fish (once a week). My Vitamin E was low one day.

Milkbasedvegan, that link really good. From that I would peg myself as serotonin dominant, and perhaps I've made myself even more serotonin deficient with full Peat eating.

RE: trying more progesterone, or biest cream, I will wait on an experiment like that though I'm sure it would show something. Maybe getting the thyroid dose and the diet should come first.

I am still down, and am going to eat non-Peaty today, cut the thyroid dose in half, and see if I feel more like myself in a couple of days.

Cold hands and feet is a very strong tell sign for iron deficiency. Iron is needed to convert T4 to T3 so if you are low you will just make reversed T3 which is inactive. Other symptoms of iron deficiency is fatigue, pale skin, brain fog and thin hair or hair falling out more. Depression also highly. Iron is needed for dopamine synthesis. Dopamines job is to motivate you. If you feel low motivation and no lust for life. Hard to get out of bed etc also indicative of iron deficiency. The fact that you already once diagnosed with iron deficiency and didnt do anything. Iron deficiency is worse to the body than excess. You age much faster. Cellular respiration does not work without iron.
People with ferritin levels below 20 have less endogenous antioxidant levels and more oxidation breakdown products than people with ferririn above 200. Not to say that 200+ is good but its better than below 20. Health range would be 70 for a woman I would believe.

Last edited:

Vinny

Cold hands and feet is a very strong tell sign for iron deficiency. Iron is needed to convert T4 to T3 so if you are low you will just make reversed T3 which is inactive. Other symptoms of iron deficiency is fatigue, pale skin, brain fog and thin hair or hair falling out more. Depression also highly. Iron is needed for dopamine synthesis. Dopamines job is to motivate you. If you feel low motivation and no lust for life. Hard to get out of bed etc also indicative of iron deficiency. The fact that you already once diagnosed with iron deficiency and didnt do anything. Iron deficiency is worse to the body than excess. You age much faster. Cellular respiration does not work without iron.
People with ferritin levels below 20 have less endogenous antioxidant levels and more oxidation breakdown products than people with ferririn above 200. Not to say that 200+ is good but its better than below 20. Health range would be 70 for a woman I would believe.
Can someone be iron deficient despite eating regularly red meat, and how come?
Thanks

HumanLife

Iron is needed for dopamine synthesis. Dopamines job is to motivate you. If you feel low motivation and no lust for life. Hard to get out of bed etc also indicative of iron deficiency.

Don't forget that it needs copper and tyrosine too.

How are your bowel movements abflower? Are you eating too much food at once, or too frequently?

OP
A

abflower

Many thanks Kingpinguin. 10 years ago my ferritin was in the 20's. So do grass fed meats, liver, dark chocolate, and get iron tested I guess.

OP
A

abflower

Don't forget that it needs copper and tyrosine too.

How are your bowel movements abflower? Are you eating too much food at once, or too frequently?
Eating 5x/day, all Peat foods. Lots of oj/milk/white sugar, some beef, liver. I know I have copper/mercury/iron thing going on for a long time. Whenever I try to detox I feel terrible. Move bowels twice a day usually. I also have a large steel (not titanium) rod fused to my spine for 35 years that I bet comes into play with metal and mental stuff. I can feel wifi/bluetooth.

lampofred

If progesterone has negative effects on mood then it might be that your neurosteroid balance naturally favors more progesterone/cortisol, which are more inhibitory, and less pregnenolone/DHEA, which are more excitatory. I think increasing sugar, calcium, vitamin D, copper, vitamin C and depleting iron/phosphate would shift the balance to pregnenolone/DHEA and increase alertness without the risks associated with supplementing estrogen.

High cortisol causes iron to go into storage instead of staying in blood so can cause symptoms of iron deficiency anemia even though actual iron stores in the brain and organs may actually be high.

Last edited:
Eating 5x/day, all Peat foods. Lots of oj/milk/white sugar, some beef, liver. I know I have copper/mercury/iron thing going on for a long time. Whenever I try to detox I feel terrible. Move bowels twice a day usually. I also have a large steel (not titanium) rod fused to my spine for 35 years that I bet comes into play with metal and mental stuff. I can feel wifi/bluetooth.

If you’re identifying with serotonin deficiency then poultry, fruit and dark chocolate might do you a lot of good. All of those high dopamine foods (especially beef and sugar) will tilt you towards the opposite end of the spectrum. Maybe find a better balance?

Kingpinguin

If progesterone has negative effects on mood then it might be that your neurosteroid balance naturally favors more progesterone/cortisol, which are more inhibitory, and less pregnenolone/DHEA, which are more excitatory. I think increasing sugar, calcium, vitamin D, copper, vitamin C and depleting iron/phosphate would shift the balance to pregnenolone/DHEA and increase alertness without the risks associated with supplementing estrogen.

High cortisol causes iron to go into storage instead of staying in blood so can cause symptoms of iron deficiency anemia even though actual iron stores in the brain and organs may actually be high.

you have studies supporting those last claims?

Kingpinguin

eating iron foods wont restore a severe deficiency. Thats why there intravenous iron. Iron deficiency causes increased brain loading of manganese. Because manganese and iron atomically are very similair in structure. Manganese is actually made from iron. They share the same transport system and can replace each other in some functions. So the body tends to accumulate manganese in the brain when low on iron. This has been shown to increase suseptability to manganism which is basically neurotoxism from excess manganese. Parkinson like symptoms. Both mice and people have been shown in studies to be protected from manganism when iron stores are higher. Go get a full blood panel look at serum-iron, ferritin, transferrin and transferrin saturation. They together will show if you have low iron, or iron stored anywhere etc. And depending on the results you will know if hou will need supplementation. I know many people who turned from a state like you are in into being their normalself with in 1-2 months daily iron supplementation. Peat is not anti iron. Hes just anti excess iron. Thats a big difference.

OP
A

abflower

eating iron foods wont restore a severe deficiency. Thats why there intravenous iron. Iron deficiency causes increased brain loading of manganese. Because manganese and iron atomically are very similair in structure. Manganese is actually made from iron. They share the same transport system and can replace each other in some functions. So the body tends to accumulate manganese in the brain when low on iron. This has been shown to increase suseptability to manganism which is basically neurotoxism from excess manganese. Parkinson like symptoms. Both mice and people have been shown in studies to be protected from manganism when iron stores are higher. Go get a full blood panel look at serum-iron, ferritin, transferrin and transferrin saturation. They together will show if you have low iron, or iron stored anywhere etc. And depending on the results you will know if hou will need supplementation. I know many people who turned from a state like you are in into being their normalself with in 1-2 months daily iron supplementation. Peat is not anti iron. Hes just anti excess iron. Thats a big difference.
I appreciate this information so much. Thank you.

OP
A

abflower

One more question if you don't mind. I was excited to try the progesterone because RP says it can lessen lipofuscin sun damage spots on the face. Do you know of other ways? Maybe I've been more prone to them because of a stainless steel implant (made up of iron, nickel and something else), which could also be messing with my available and non-available iron levels? If you had such an implant, and were curious about corroded metals and metal ions (these rods do corrode, as seen with retrieved instrumentation), what tests might you do to see if they were affecting health? Thanks again.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals