Eating rice cakes/crackers

Padmaaa

Is it OK to eat rice, rice cakes or rice crackers occasionally on a Peat diet?

Just because I crave to eat something solid and dry. :)

HDD

"Potato, yams; occasionally well-cooked grains in the order of best to least desirable: masa harina, white rice or oats, brown rice. The phytic acid in the oats block absorption of much of the calcium; cooking the oats much longer than usual might improve its nutritional value. Canned plain pumpkin if eaten with some fat is okay, but carrots are less starchy for similar effects."

This is part of a list of dietary guidelines put together on another website. It is also copied onto this forum.

I eat rice and sometimes rice cakes.

Jenn

Just remember conversion of starch into usable form (glucose) occurs primarily in the mouth, so you need to chew until totally dissolved...not just swallow size. ;)

I like them with butter or cream cheese and jam and a little sprinkle of salt.

loess

Padmaaa said:
Just because I crave to eat something solid and dry. :)

I can relate to this desire for dry crunchiness for sure. For a long time I would reach for rice cakes, but it's hard for me to stop at just one, and by the end of the bag they tend to really cut up the roof of my mouth. I ultimately decided that it wasn't worth it anymore after eating them too often late at night and feeling crummy the next morning. Have you tried freeze-dried fruit? It can be a bit pricey but I find that freeze-dried apples or dried strawberries/raspberries hit that crunchy spot nicely (even though the seeds have PUFA).

You might also try and hunt down Honest Chips which are fried in coconut oil. Also, RP has mentioned chicharrones (pork rinds) before, just make sure you pay attention to ingredients/additives.

Ari

Jenn said:
Just remember conversion of starch into usable form (glucose) occurs primarily in the mouth, so you need to chew until totally dissolved...not just swallow size. ;)

Interesting. I tried making some homemade fries by cutting potatoes and putting them in the oven. I found that they were very good and went down without a problem.

How do you know if they are totally dissolved? Are you waiting for a taste change in your mouth or just until there are no more 'clumps' of potato? Also what are your thoughts on low starch potatoes vs high starch ones.. I currently used/am using gold potatoes

Jenn

Starch will sweeten in the mouth as it converts from starch to glucose, but it also tends to loose flavor as it mixes with the saliva. How long to chew, that is the question, isn't it? My aunt was taught to chew 20 times before swallowing growing up, she called it fletcherizing. In military training, 7 times is the minimum...and apparently that is a stretch for a lot of people, but it causes them to eat less.

When I first started, I would chew until it was completely liquid, then chew a little more. A half a potato's worth of fries would fill me up. My digestion was very poor and apparently, that was also a lot more nutrtiion than my body was used to getting.

I avoid waxy potatoes and use russet type potatoes for everything.

Ari

Very interesting. I'm gonna give all those tips a shot - turning them into a drinkable liquid before swallowing, and using russets as well.

I am slowly coming around on potatoes. I realized that the negative effects I was getting from them was from the spoonfuls of coconut oil I was putting on them. I actually realized that from another post that you made in some old thread.

jyb

Jenn said:

I like them with butter or cream cheese and jam and a little sprinkle of salt.

Wait, the saliva that will go down with food will not have the same effect as if you chew more? I understand chewing is helpful, but for something like a well cooked potato for example, I thought that it shouldn't matter.

pboy

salivary amylase can affect how quick the 'rapidly digestible portion' of starches enters the bloodstream, but I read a study that said after 30 minutes in the
small intestine, pancreatic enzymes overwhelmed any difference in salivary amylase. If you have compromised digestion, chewing more could theoretically help because the partially hydrolyzed starch would have about a foot more of intestine time to be split by intestinal cell spilitting maltase (into glucose). The main thing that matters is how well cooked, how moist, and how much surface area is exposed...and that the starch hasn't cooled and partially retrograded. I'm pretty sure 'puffing', like in rice cakes and puffed cereal, the starch is mostly rapidly digestible hence the very high glycemic index

tomisonbottom

Ari said:
Very interesting. I'm gonna give all those tips a shot - turning them into a drinkable liquid before swallowing, and using russets as well.

I am slowly coming around on potatoes. I realized that the negative effects I was getting from them was from the spoonfuls of coconut oil I was putting on them. I actually realized that from another post that you made in some old thread.

What was the negative effect of the coconut oil?

jb4566

Banana chips are almost always fried in coconut oil. They are good for a crunchy snack imo.

Logan-