Eating Raw Egg . Is That A Bad Idea?

japanesedude

Im a Japanese and Its common to eat Raw egg on Rice(Its called Tamago kake Gohan)
As we know, Egg is a great sources of Vitamins, cholesterol,Protein.
for example, eating 3 raw eggs/per day.
Egg white contains avidin, but it is thought that biotin deficiency does not occur unless you eat more than 10 raw eggs every day.

Attachments

• 20150804180943a8d.jpg
    20150804180943a8d.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 25

Deadpool

As far as I know, as long as they are good quality eggs it shouldn't be a problem. You should just handle everything with perfect hygiene and throw away eggs, with cracks in the shell. Most of the salmonella is supposed to be on the shell.

But there will still be a risk even if it is small.

I did eat about 8 raw eggs per day for about a year in the past (bodybuilding purposes) and it didn't really improve my health but I don't think it did anything bad either.

Is it worth it? I don't know. There will always be a small risk, they don't really taste good except if you put them in shakes that taste good and I feel like they aren't absorbed or utilized as good as cooked eggs.

Normally, 4 cooked eggs fill me up and I can't eat anymore, fried eggs I can eat more, but raw eggs, I could eat infinitely.

Also something to keep in mind is that when I researched it, people were writing about raw eggs leading to possible biotin deficiency because there is something in there that blocks absorbtion or something like this.

OP
japanesedude

japanesedude

Fortunately, Japanese eggs are highly hygienic, so the risk of eating raw eggs is very low.
8eggs lol
anyway,I'll start eating 3 raw eggs perday a while. and lets see what happens

lvysaur

Even shitty American eggs have an extremely low risk of salmonella, and salmonella itself is extremely innocuous as far as pathogens go.

mujuro

I don't think the protein in uncooked egg white is bioavailable. Does anyone know?

TibRex

Beware of the trypsin inhibitor in raw eggs (and soy beans), but not cooked eggs. The inhihitor is specifically found in the egg white. Here's an entry from wikipedia:

"A trypsin inhibitor is a type of serine protease inhibitor that reduces the biological activity of trypsin. Trypsin is an enzyme involved in the breakdown of many different proteins, including as part of digestion in humans and other animals. As a result, **protease inhibitors that interfere with its activity can have an antinutritional effect."

** = Ovomucin (in raw avian egg white) Inhibitory power = 1.2 times its weight (the ovomucoids are a mixture of several different glycoprotein protease inhibitors). According to one source, it can be destroyed by heating at 120 C for 15-20 minutes. But this seems like a long time (overdone eggs) and does not make any distinctions between boiling, frying, etc.

Another similar note from elsewhere:

Egg White - Trypsin Inhibitor, Ovomucoid
"Ovomucoids are the glycoprotein protease-inhibitors of avian egg white. There are several protease inhibitors in egg white. One acts upon ficin and papain; another, ovoinhibitor, is a significant contaminant of crude ovomucoid preparations and acts upon bovine trypsin and chymotrypsin as well as porcine elastase and fungal proteinase."

RE Avidin toxicity:

"...raw egg white contains avidin, which binds to biotin and can impair metabolism of other B-vitamins. Note however that raw egg toxicity should not be overstated: 20 raw eggs per day for several weeks would be necessary to create a biotin deficiency."

Source: http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-cooked/raw-cooked-1g.shtml

Amazoniac

Saturazione!

- Avidin - Wikipedia

"In chicken egg white, avidin makes up approximately 0.05% of total protein (approximately 1800 μg per egg). The tetrameric protein contains four identical subunits (homotetramer), each of which can bind to biotin (Vitamin B7, vitamin H) with a high degree of affinity and specificity."​
The thermal stability and biotin binding activity of avidin are of both practical and theoretical interest to researchers, as avidin's stability is unusually high and avidin is an antinutrient in human food.(a) A 1966 study published in Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications found that the structure of avidin remains stable at temperatures below 70 °C (158 °F). Above 70 °C (158 °F), avidin's structure is rapidly disrupted and by 85 °C (185 °F), extensive loss of structure and loss of ability to bind biotin is found.(b) A 1991 assay for the Journal of Food Science detected substantial avidin activity in cooked egg white: "mean residual avidin activity in fried, poached and boiled (2 min) egg white was 33, 71 and 40% of the activity in raw egg white." The assay surmised that cooking times were not sufficient to adequately heat all cold spot areas within the egg white. Complete inactivation of avidin's biotin binding capacity required boiling for over 4 minutes.(c)​
A 1992 study found that thermal inactivation of the biotin binding activity of avidin was described by D121 °C = 25 min and z = 33 °C. This study disagreed with prior assumptions "that the binding site of avidin is destroyed on heat denaturation".(a)​

- Avidin from egg white (A9275) | Sigma

"Avidin is a tetrameric glycoprotein with an approximate molecular mass of 66–67 kDa.[5]"​
"Binding capacity: For tetrameric avidin, the theoretical maximum is 4 moles biotin:1 mole avidin[6,13] or ~15 mcg biotin/mg protein.[14]"​
"Unit Definition: One unit will bind 1.0 mcg of d-biotin.​
Unit activity: ≥10 units per mg protein."​

That's from their molecular masses:
- Biotin: 244 g/mol
- Avidin: 67000 g/mol

Calculating in mg:
- Biotin: 244 mg * 4 = 976
- Avidin: 67000 mg

976/67000 = 0.01456 mg or 14.56 mcg biotin/mg avidin

Another way to put it would be 976/670: ~1.5% of the avidin.

If there's 1800 mcg of avidin per egg (above), the maximum that it can bind in theory is 25 mcg (1800 mcg * 1.5%) of biotin/egg.

In case cooking inactivates half of it, such theoretical value could decrease to about 10-15 mcg of biotin/egg.

- Biotin | LPI

Cloudhands

Raw egg whites give me eczema, i like to seperate the yolk, cook the white and consume them together on my food. U may say "you have to eat 10 raw egg whites to get biotin deficiency" but you also must take into account the B vitamin depleting white rice youre also consuming with it etc.

Amazoniac

- The hidden function of egg white antimicrobials: egg weight-dependent effects of avidin on avian embryo survival and hatchling phenotype

"Many egg white proteins also have binding sites specific to metal ions, such as Fe3+, or to vitamins, such as biotin, riboflavin or thiamine (Muniyappa and Adiga, 1979; White and Merrill, 1988). Although the binding of these essential molecules to specific proteins prevents their use in the growth and proliferation of many pathogenic microorganisms, their presence is probably more important for proper development of the embryo (Bonisoli-Alquati et al., 2010; Giansanti et al., 2012; Javůrková et al., 2015)."​

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals