Eating Organs

chris

As we know liver is very useful but is there any benefits from eating other organs, for example heart, kidney etc

Thanks.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Heart, is technically a muscle meat.

I think, if you eat the kindeys, that helps the kidneys, if you eat the eyes, that will help your eyes. Is that correct? Just like eating thyroid gland, it supports the thyroid.

J

j.

Charlie said:
I think, if you eat the kindeys, that helps the kidneys, if you eat the eyes, that will help your eyes. Is that correct? Just like eating thyroid gland, it supports the thyroid.

That would be interesting to know. I think eating thyroid supports thyroid function because it has T3 and T4. I don't know if it helps the thyroid gland specifically, at least directly, I thought it just gave the body the products of the thyroid gland.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I dunno, that was the conclusion I came to at one point or other. Not sure if it's correct though, that's why I am asking.

Muscle meats, high in trytophan(sp?)... which does what? Build muscles.

nwo2012

Lambs brains, taste great. And high in progesterone and pregnenolone too. Yummy.

Kidneys, would be 2nd to liver in terms of good nutrients.

narouz

By the way, since we're on the lovely subject of organ eating:

For those of you who struggle with beef liver,
yesterday I bought at Whole Foods some Veal or Calf Liver.
Excellent.
Much milder and more tender.

Also about 2 to 3 times more expensive, though.

John Eels

Yes, I agree with narouz. Veal liver is fabulous. Still funny to smn. who isn't used to the taste. I start to like it very much. It's fascinating how food taste is malleable. It helps to stick with conscious food choices. On the other hand I find it interesting how people eat intuitively healthy. My sister doesn't know anything about Peat. She loves coffee, drinks lots of milk and fruit juices. She discovered those foods by listening to hear body.

Birdie

Charlie said:
I dunno, that was the conclusion I came to at one point or other. Not sure if it's correct though, that's why I am asking.

Muscle meats, high in trytophan(sp?)... which does what? Build muscles.

Tryptophan:
Both adrenaline and serotonin will stimulate the release of cortisol, which mobilizes amino acids from tissues such as the large skeletal muscles.
Those muscles contain a large amount of cysteine and tryptophan, which, among other effects, suppress the thyroid.

The increased tryptophan, especially in the presence of free fatty acids, is likely to be converted into additional serotonin, since fatty acids release tryptophan from albumin, increasing its entry into the brain. Free fatty acids and increased serotonin reduce metabolic efficiency (leading to insulin resistance, for example) and promote an inflammatory state.” RP

Quote from Rob at functionalps.

Attachments

• cron1.jpg
    cron1.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 80
  • cron2.jpg
    cron2.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 68

Birdie

narouz said:
By the way, since we're on the lovely subject of organ eating:

For those of you who struggle with beef liver,
yesterday I bought at Whole Foods some Veal or Calf Liver.
Excellent.
Much milder and more tender.

Also about 2 to 3 times more expensive, though.

I agree. It's good. I can only get calf liver. That is all I use. It's not that expensive where I live. We have no Whole Foods out here. :)

I saute onions in butter + coconut oil and then the liver. When I bring the liver home, I rinse it and wrap and freeze flat. This makes it easier at cooking time for me.

I see the tongues sometimes but haven't the courage to deal with them as they are so big. And, now Charlie makes me think about the muscle aspect.

Jenn

The heart actually makes anti cancer enzymes, so FRESH, healthy heart would still have those enzymes available.
Keeping organs in context....a cow has 1 liver...how many whole cows do you eat in a year? Just saying.....

Tongue is a muscle that is also high in gelatin, like ribeye. It's a very yummy cut and you can make a fabulous broth from the skin. I wish cows had ten tongues. :D

narouz

Jenn said:
Tongue is a muscle that is also high in gelatin, like ribeye.

I'm not sure about this.
I've never had tongue,
but the way I've thought of it is, as you say, a muscle--a muscle meat.
Now...does that mean it is also high in gelatin?
Personally, I wouldn't assume so.

Gelatin comes mainly, I thought, from the cartilage and tendons and connective tissues.
All those contain collagen.
When collagen is cooked it breaks down into gelatin.

Now ribeye would seem to be a muscle meat which is pretty fatty
but...unless you are "fortunate" enough (I guess, from a gelatin standpoint)
to get a lot of gristle in that ribeye...
I wouldn't think it has much of any gelatin.

Same with tongue.
Maybe I'm wrong.
But the tongue, from what I've heard,
can be very tasty and tender without cooking hours.
It would surprise me if I found that tongue had a lot of gristle, thus collagen, thus gelatin when cooked.

A smart poster here, I think maybe it was gabriel79 or something like that,
said he tries to get his healthy gelatin in his meat
by asking his butcher to cut his steaks so as to include quite a bit of gristle.
He first eats the gristle, then enjoys the steak--if I understood him correctly.

I thought: well, I guess that would work.
I mean, it would be hard for me to do that because I don't go to a butcher to get my meat.
I have my doubts that the butchers at Whole Paycheck
would cut me an especially gristle-inclusive steak.
But...I guess that approach could work if you could find the right butcher.

But a couple points and questions:
1. seems to me you would have to eat gristle in a steak to get collagen;
I mean: as far as I know, there is not some kind of collagen hiding tenderly
in a ribeye; you'd have to find a gristly one.
2. if you ate that gristle after only cooking steak-like times, like under 10 minutes,
seems like you'd be eating collagen; but would you make gelatin out of that collagen?
Or is that something that can only occur through cooking?
3. on tongue: like I said, not sure that it has a high gristle content, and again,
I wouldn't imagine that it has some other kind of collagen-bearing tissue that I don't know about
which would also be tender without long cooking.

J

j.

I asked Ray Peat if tongue was better than the typical muscle meat. He said he hasn't seen the amino acid analysis, but suspects it's about the same.

I asked him a while ago, I thought I posted the info somewhere.

jaa

Jenn said:
The heart actually makes anti cancer enzymes, so FRESH, healthy heart would still have those enzymes available.
Keeping organs in context....a cow has 1 liver...how many whole cows do you eat in a year? Just saying.....

True, but I don't eat the whole animal of smaller things squirrel or bugs, or even duck or fish for that matter. Cow liver can make up for some of those missing whole animal vitamins :)

jb4566

I heard that beef heart has a ton of collagen in it. Can anyone verify this?

4peatssake

jb4566 said:
I heard that beef heart has a ton of collagen in it. Can anyone verify this?

This article claims it has twice as much as regular meat. She doesn't cite a source though.
Found the article thru this fellow's blog where he posts a beef heart stew recipe. He's a post paleo guy and fan of Matt Stone, FWIW.

Beef heart — because it is a muscle-- beef heart is somewhat similar to other cuts of meat like steak, ground beef, roasts, etc. although it is a heavier, more dense muscle than others though. But heart meat carries a bigger punch of protein and unique nutrients.

The heart is a very concentrated source of the supernutrient, CoQ10.

Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is produced by the human body and is necessary for the basic functioning of cells, as well as optimizing the heart’s rhythm. CoQ10 levels are reported to decrease with age and to be lower in some patients with some chronic diseases such as heart conditions, muscular dystrophies, Parkinson's disease, cancer, diabetes, and HIV / AIDS.

CoQ10 has been shown to be very effective for improving cardiac function. Scientists have also found that CoQ10 provides benefits to other organs whose cells require this high-level energy metabolism such as the brain and kidneys, as well. In addition, prescription drugs such as statins deplete the body of CoQ10, so replacing this vital nutrient is extremely important for these people.

Beef heart also contains Selenium, Phosphorus & Zinc, along with essential amino acids that help build muscle, store energy and boost stamina and endurance. A meal of organ meats will charge you with extra energy, noticeable right after you eat it. The heart also contains twice as much collagen and elastin than regular meat, which is good for the skin and connective tissue, and actually helps prevent wrinkling and aging.

Because heart is such a dense muscle meat, it is a little bit tougher than other meats, but marinating the meat in an acidic-based marinade really helps to tenderize it and add delicious flavor as well.

Heart can easily be added to your favorite ground beef recipes for added nutrition with little change in taste. Get brave and try some great tasting grass fed headcheese for your next lean energy snack. Headcheese contains beef tongue and beef heart.

BaconBits

I dont know. I tend to avoid pork organs, since those parts of the animal could be extremely high in hepatits E and other uknown toxin and are very hard to marinate. Keep in mind that Hepatitis E is a fairly new disease, its probably a pigs disease that spread to humans, first in India in 1955 and has found in Europe since 1980s.

Problem with beef organs, especially kidney its the horrible smell, cooking it makes your house smell like stinky public toilet or a barn.

Calf organs would probably be nice, but are hard to get.

But I remember we used to eat a lot of cow tongue in the early and mid 90s, it was cured like a salami, it was quite nice, now you cant get that anywhere in regular supermarket anymore.

Hiding beef heart in ground meat is a great idea, but not for me because I always buy prepackaged ground meat-

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
biggirlkiss said:
Tongue itself is high in iron right so have it with milk?

Coffee, because it inhibits iron absorption among many other wonderful things.

Jenn

Tongue is one of my favorite cuts of meat. It is covered in skin, which is collagen. Look up the stats at nutrition data or some other website. You remove the skin when you eat it, but the skin can then be made into a FABULOUS broth.